88 TR bad running issues....Need Help | Page 2 | FerrariChat

88 TR bad running issues....Need Help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MGJBLKTR, Sep 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I hope to know more by today or tomorrow. I did drive by the dealership and saw the car outside which is a good sign thats its moving under its own power. It would take 50 men to push it up the hill from the service enterance.

As far as expense......I'm sure it will be considerable.

2. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I picked the car up today and its running great. New tachometric relay plus they worked on the fuel pump connections at the fuse board. It felt great to drive it again.

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Where is that relay located? and what numbers should be on it?

R

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    #29 Dr_ferrari, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Robbie,

Part #8 in the diagram.

Regards, Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #30 Steve Magnusson, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Although a "bad" tachometric relay really can't cause extended "bad running" as it would shut off both fuel pump relays (and the engine would stop completely) if it was bad. The more typical fault that gets reported is that mode 1 works (so the engine starts OK and the fuel pressure comes up to normal), but the engine dies a short time after releasing the key to "on" (when something's wrong with mode 2, the fuel pumps shut off, and the fuel pressure gradually falls below a useable value).

6. thornatty

thornatty Rookie

Sep 17, 2005
    Coconut Grove, FL
    Full Name:
    Thornton McDaniel
    Group: My '85 TR was running perfectly; today, after several weeks of intense rain, the car started right up but without Left bank cylinders firing, no left rear rad fan and no left front headlight motor; elec windows work, as do all running lights, radio, etc.
    I've pulled and cleaned all front fuses but didn't help.
    Is there a main connector for the left electrical side, or another fuse box somewhere?
    Thanks, thorn

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #32 Steve Magnusson, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
    Does this mean that 1) you know that the 7-12 bank has no spark present, or 2) does it just mean that the 7-12 bank isn't running, and you don't know whether it is caused by no spark or no fuel? On a US '85 TR, no spark on the 7-12 bank would usually also shut the fuel pumps down after the intial start-up (causing the engine to stop after ~10 seconds as the fuel pressure declines) -- so, if yours is a US version TR, continuing to run on only the 1-6 bank is almost certainly a 7-12 no fuel problem, not a 7-12 no spark problem.

Please confirm version -- US (F113A040 engine family) or euro (F113A engine family)?

Don't know of any obvious common electrical problem that could simultaneous cause these faults -- and no one has reported such a menage-a-trois before. Have you ever unplugged and inspected the horizontal white connectors at the bottom of the fuse-relay panel (or made modifications to address the known "connector burning" problems there) -- a dead fuel pump and/or a dead water radiator fan is a common symptom from trouble there.

8. thornatty

thornatty Rookie

Sep 17, 2005
    Coconut Grove, FL
    Full Name:
    Thornton McDaniel
    This is an '85 US-version #58745...I'll check the white connectors tomorrow. Thanks!

9. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    It could be the temperature sending unit connector that is plugged into the "Y" water pipe. If not connected correctly it will send a poor signal to the fuel injection and make it idle funny and run on one bank. Wiggle the wires and disconnect and clean that connector.
    Let us know what it was when you track it down.

10. Il Razzo

Il Razzo Rookie

Mar 5, 2011
    San Juan Island,Wa.
    Full Name:
    Il Razzo
    Gentlemen, I have experienced all the symptons and problems you have discussed in your previous threads over the last three years with my 1986 TR US version. These problems only got worse with time. The bottom line was the electrical panal(mother board) is breaking down due to heat from poor connections and age. Please "Google" Scuderia Rampante, check out the info on the website and give Dave Helm a call. I am sure you will be satified with the results. regards IL RAZZO