Dino 00468 - The Mysterious Dino | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dino 00468 - The Mysterious Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Aug 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Am I reading this correctly?

00468 was sold at the Leake auction just 2 months before the Mecum auction?

Interesting.

I think old Dana Mecum has got some serious 'splainin' to do. (But, of course, he won't).

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am not throwing stones in any way now...

this car flew under OUR radar then and we didn't debate it much....why?

what i would like to now is WHAT THIS CAR IS THEN AND NOW, ESEPCIALLY BEFORE THAT Tulsa auction

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#103 dinogts, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
    Who is throwing stones?

All that is happening is that we are asking questions.

Now with respect to the reasons why it wasn't discussed much a while ago, you pretty much provided the answer yourself - it flew under the radar. I can't recall seeing much coverage of any of the Leake auctions, even in the SCM.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think any further information will have to come from the seller, or the buyer.

D

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Anyone have any updates on this interesting car?

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Still being resolved ;)

7. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    Does anyone knows what happened to 01460? I am looking for it it was my father until 1983 thanks

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Frank,

Please contact me.

Shawn

9. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
  10. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I wish that car was near me, and I was allowed to do an in depth inspection of the chassis number. There is a technique that I have used to restore serial numbers on guns, motorcycles, automobiles, and other items. I would remove the paint down to the bare steel. Then polish the area around the number until it is mirror smooth. Then I would etch the area with a solution called Frye's Reagent. One of two things will happen; the original number will be visualized, or if the original number was welded over and smoothed, the weld will be visualized. My experience with the California Highway Patrol is that if a chassis number or VIN number is changed or obscured, the automobile will be seized until the proper owner can be determined. I would expect that other States would do the same. That car stinks, and I wouldn't touch it for free.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    ....and careful guys, Edward definitely knows what he is talking about :)

Regards, Alberto

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I agree.

13. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Dino 02210 is for sale and has the Compendium words "Used to be renumbered to 00468"
    What is this meaning?
    Whch parts were used and not from 02210 please?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    means the Dino with chassis no. #02210 today, used to have the incorrect chassis no. #00468 (for what ever reason, discussed here)

key to identify the original chassis no. of renumbered cars is the body no., also helpful can be engine and gearbox no.

15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Hi guys, I bought #02210 18 months ago. I was offered the car and was told as much of a story anyone was told over the years. Why it was imported can be any ones guess. Maybe to beat emissions, maybe the 25 year rule who knows. But anyways i Checked it out, and the numbers matched and it had been titled previously in Michigan under its correct #02210. I talked with the guy who was hired by a previous owner to straighten it out which at great expense which he did. The car was very decent but needed some love which I gave it. Both the motor and transmission were rebuilt which were original to that car. With all the Dinos I've seen and worked in in the last 20 years this was just another one with a story. To me it was not a big deal as everything was corrected and it registered and titled correctly. I registered and titled it in Montana when I bought it. To me bigger stories were ones I took on and after media blasting all sorts of previous damage was exposed but the owner was never told or aware of the significant damage. It was all fixed but still had a story. I was glad to bring this one to life and now is a great driving car that looks good and drives fantastic and yes it has an interesting story!! The story started 40 years ago and I'm happy to end it and give the car a new life.

UroTrash and isuk like this.
  16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  17. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Remove the parts you need for other project, replace with reproductions, then flip for the king profit.
    Win win win American style!