Who sells thicker sway bars for a 308?? | FerrariChat

Who sells thicker sway bars for a 308??

Discussion in '308/328' started by etip, Aug 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been doing google search after search, but I can't find any dealer that sells Saner or other aftermarket sway bars. I'm ready to start collect the parts for the redo.

Thanks for any leads or direction... (I'm open to used parts if they are in good shape, if anyone has any take offs..)

2. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Superformance Uk sells an upgraded rear one

3. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    Depending on what model you have, and how big you want to go, you could use some OEM units.
    The 308 GTS had a 19mm rear, and is a direct bolt on to any other 308.
    And I found that the Mondial had a 22mm front bar that would fit on a 308 if you make sure to get the Mondial end links as well.

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the info. I have a gts, so that swap is out. I think the Superformance rear bar is a 22mm. What would you match that to in the front, assuming QA1 shocks (if I recall most use 300/350 springs, right)

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thicker rear bar with no change to front would increase over steer, FWIW.

SDoug

6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i had sort of the same question in mind: why do you need thicker swaybars, what's the goal?

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've done a full set of suspension upgrades... in several stages, including upsized tires, poly bushings, heavier sway bars, adjustable shocks with stronger springs... I have to say that the heavier sway bars made the single biggest difference in the car's ability to corner faster with less body roll compared to any of the other upgrades.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agree with Mike C's above post. Of course did the same sway/bushing/shock/spring upgrades, lowering suspension upgrades (and WOW does all that add up $$,$$$ fast!). Makes for far modern handling and tames the snap oversteer. Is it 'worth' the price, well... discussing worth and Ferrari in the same sentence is really reserved for very rare cars.

Of course if you love the car and have a near bottomless wallet...

Only larger F/R bar combo that was offered as i recall was from Saner, who no longer seems to be around. Tried to get someone else to offer them, yet he felt the liability was too high. i debated offering it, yet just not worth my time quite frankly.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That's great info. So the next question is, how big did you go? And then I guess the next question is how big are the swaybars on the 88.5 and 89 328's!

10. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mike C's and Steven (enjoythemusic) posts are exactly with why I am doing this.

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    St@ven ... I remember you mentioning seeing some race where the guys had disconnected the rear sway bar ... I'm not sure what the reason for that was ... maybe totally amature and wanted to make sure the car pushed or something?

I was experiencing some serious oversteer that I thought was the swaybar ... it turned out to be not enough toe in on the rear. At my last autocross I had the following setup:

Saner swaybars front and rear set on minimum stiffness (I tried to get more of these made and he kept my deposit without delivering ... I have another source but I only need one set).

375# front ... 325 # rear springs

QA1's set at 6 on the rear ... 12 (max) on the front.

Camber ... 3.0 on both rears ... 2.7 right front ... 2.3 left front.

There was some sections where one could carry speed thru corners without forcing understeer or oversteer to happen with braking or acceleration ... she was pushing just a bit on the side with 2.3 deg camber and on the side with 2.7 I never did find the limit :) ... I was really happy that the oversteer problem I was having was gone and I'm running the same size tires on all four corners.

cheerss

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #12 enjoythemusic, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    If rain, disconnecting rear anti-roll and moving the brake bias more to the rear is a known good to some extent PROVIDED you are staring with a relatively neutral car. Not sure why one would really want to remove rear anti-sway in the dry for road/road course track use.

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I got mine from Saner Performance back around 2004. The 3-way adjustable stabilizer bars are zinc-plated 1.0" (25mm) front and 7/8" (22mm) rear, with urethane bushings and fully adjustable end-links.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #14 Mike C, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    In the past i had a stacked pair of original sway bars on my Alfasud, cut of the ends from the extra bar, use spacers and clamps, just a thought...

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mike are these parts still available?

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I don't think so... people have been saying that Saner Performance is no longer to be found. I know that their old website is gone. Here is the info I had for them back when I bought mine:

Saner Performance Fabrication
    1449 SW Flounder Lane
    Port St. Lucie, FL 34953
    (561) 873-0238
    http://www.sanerperffab.com

Or... did you mean my old stock parts?

18. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    Has there been update to finding performance spec sway bars?

19. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  20. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    #20 PenP, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sarcasm? All I see are countless F-Chat posts about slow/no delivery, incorrect specs, etc., etc. And the ADDCO website shows how I can happily firm up such high-modification-interest cars like Internationals, Yugos, AMC's, Buicks and Sunbeams – but Ferrari isn't even listed. Did we drive the guy crazy because of our collective "Ferrari-ness", or did they just give up?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login