Silverstone memories: First lap crash at the 1973 British Grand Prix | FerrariChat

Silverstone memories: First lap crash at the 1973 British Grand Prix

Discussion in 'F1' started by toovo1985, Jul 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toovo1985

toovo1985 Karting

Feb 19, 2010
    Original live footage of the first lap crash at the 1973 British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Raymond Baxter commentates as Jody Scheckter loses it coming out of Woodcote and takes half the field with him.

Check here the video: http://bit.ly/kxHxui

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That certainly brings back memories. I was sitting in the main grandstand with my father and we saw the whole thing unfold. The rookie Schectker ran wide onto the grass on the exit from Woodcote, and rather than riding it out, he immediately tried to steer the car back onto the track, with dire results. I remember seeing Stewart and the other leaders come through at racing speed at the end of the second lap and thinking that they were going to plow into the cars still strewn about the track! Fortunately, they were able to slow down in time. Luckily, no one was seriously injured.

Very uncharacteristically, Stewart spun out shortly after the restart (with a much thinned-out field) and American Peter Revson won the race.

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Roger Williamson was also involved in that first lap accident. It was his first GP. And unfortunately, the next round at Zandvoort was his last GP.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Great story, and yes, they did come flying around for the second lap. Love the 3 -2 pattern of the grid back then. Good thing JYS got involved with safety, even Silverstone looks relatively bereft of the essentials...

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #5 Crawler, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
    In 1977, chain link catch fencing was all the rage. I was attending the Jim Russell School at the time, and we were able to volunteer for a catch fencing repair team. Toward the end of qualifying, David Purley was trying too hard and had a horrendous high-speed accident when he plowed straight through the rows of catch fencing into the embankment, which was basically a wall of old railway ties backed up with about eight feet of dirt. While we were repairing the fences, medical personnel were extricating him from his car, which was about two feet shorter than before the accident. It was a very sobering experience for a 24 year-old with dreams of becoming a racing driver. I recall that Andretti won the race, but the sensation was a certain young Canadian driving a McLaren...

6. 365gt2+2

365gt2+2 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    with the wife
    Full Name:
    Norman B'stard
    #6 365gt2+2, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your experience, just for inormation the LEC of Purleys had suffered a small fuel fire on the engine in themorning and an over zealous person (not sure if it was a team member or a pit lane marshal) sprayed the car with an extinguisher.
    It is thought that some of the extinguishant caused the throttle to stick open causing the crash... he went from about 110 mph to a standstill in a little over 2 foot... something like 130g.. the tub of the car is still in the Donington Collection.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And its interesting that Purley and Williamson should be discussd together in the thread as they will be forever linked after Zandvoort 1973

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks. I was not aware of the throttle issue, and stand corrected. Those photos look much worse than my recollection. (To be honest, at the time I could not bring myself to look too closely.)

8. toovo1985

toovo1985 Karting

Feb 19, 2010
    Neither did I. Great info. Thanks for sharing!!!

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, bit of confusion with the flags as well.

10. toovo1985

toovo1985 Karting

Feb 19, 2010
    It was a little bit more amateurish...as everything...today everything is very professional, sometimes a little bit too much!!!

It seems like they forget the joy of driving...and just think of winning or not allowing the other won to win!