Ferrari P4 replica | FerrariChat

Ferrari P4 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by hadstang, Aug 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hadstang

hadstang Rookie

Aug 9, 2006
    I'm serious considering a ferrari P4 replica by nfauto.co.uk over a kit car by factoryfive or superformance has anyone bought a kit from nfauto.co.uk? or maybe wat about race car replica P4 kit? also has anyone had theirs shipped to the US and was everything legit? I'll be using a D.s.s. racing block fully preped 408W with a 88mm turbo kit from ponydown.net and a tremec T56. wat do u think a kinda a newbie but i'm doing my research as best as i can if u know anything that can help write me email me let me know please.

2. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I would delete this post, before the on-slought of "this is not a kit kar forum" replies you are about to receive.

John

3. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Looks like another teenager needs to go back to school.

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its his first post on Fchat and he starts with a kit car? I can hear the wolves sharpening thier knives from here. But he sounds pretty serious, wants to go right to the top with a P/4. Hmmmmm. Okay, so what the hell is a D.s.s racing block fully preped 408W with a 88mm turbo kit from ponydown.net and a tremec T56? Ohhhh, it looks like a turbo mustang motor. Ick! If the kit car is made of metal over a tube frame, which I doubt, wouldnt a Jag V-12 with carbs at least look feel and sound more original? Probably a lot cheaper than a POS mustang motor too.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's where you want to be.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18917

Give Fran a call. Tell him Jim sent you.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    A few years ago, I saw at the Goodwood Festival of Speed the Foreman P4 made by nfauto.co.uk.
    I am not too sure that the proportions have been kept on the bodywork at the front, but may be I was confused with the P3, or even P2.
    Anyway, the car looked nice, and was fitted with a 4L V12 Lamborghini.
    Apparently spare V12 Lambo engine are easier to find than V12 Ferrari - that's what the brochure said!
    I think that former Le Mans entrant and Ferrari GTO, 250 LM and P3/4 (365P?) owner David Piper had been consulted for the installation of Ferrari/Lambo engines in the chassis.

My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that if you are going to build a replica, you may as well try to stick to the 'original' theme: a V12 engine.

I saw once a gorgeous Dino 206 at Bonneville, only to find out when the owner opened the engine compartment to show me his car, that he had 'ploncked' a small block Chevy in it! I was disgusted...

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Try the link I posted, this guys sell a quality product over a piece of junk kit car. I'm thinking of buying a 917 from them, but the P4 is a thing that I can't get out of my head. The reason I like the 917 is because the dimensions and chassis are true to the original, it would even fit a real 917 12 cylinder, but good luck finding one and affording to buy it. The thing with the P4 is that I think the dimensions in the front of the car look awkward and only someone like Jim could give some real input on this.

http://race-car-replicas.com/

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Relevant to nothing really, but I once saw a Norwood P4 up close. He did a hell of job forming those body panels. It was gorgeous. I'd probably disintegrate if I ever saw a real one.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #9 Napolis, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Thank you Napolis.

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Jim is exactly right. Call Fran. Thats what you want....

http://www.race-car-replicas.com/RCRP4.html

As to all the replica haters and such.... ignore them. Then, when you have your 2200lb P4 replica with a 400hp 355 sourced Ferrari V8 in the back... enjoy your ear to ear grin as you DESTROY the purist boys at every track day you attend!

I am planning to order either an RCR GT40 deluxe kit OR the Lola T70 Spider deluxe kit next spring after all my current projects are complete. RCR makes a fantastic product!

Terry

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    You might want to join some kitcar forums atleast there you can here some unbiaist opinions.

13. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Beautiful car Jim, as always.

14. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
  15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #15 Horsefly, Aug 9, 2006
    I believe that the dimensions of the NF P4 replica have the front end lengthened so that the drivers feet do not extend beyond the front wheel centerline. This is a legal requirement in England where the car is made. I had an e-mail from P4Replica, Paul Skett, concerning the entire matter but I must have deleted it. So the body dimensions are probably not EXACTLY like the original P4. Here is a pic of the Porsche 917 that Paul sent me. As you can see, the foot pedals are far forward of the front wheel centerline, a definite hazard if you're ever in a front end wreck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is perfectly fine to discuss replicas in this forum.

As for the P4 replica: You could import a Noble P4 from the UK sans engine, which makes the import fairly simple. The problem with the Noble replica is, that they hightened the cabin roof for comfort. Makes it practical, but looks ungainly. So if you fancy a Noble P4 replica, you should pick the open version.

Personally I'd got this route:
    http://www.race-car-replicas.com/
    As some already suggested.

The ultimate source/answer for your questions would be however at this site:
    http://www.p4replicabb.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Good luck and in case you get one, please post some pics here.

17. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
  18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I think some of these are quite nice.
    Perhaps a 365 or 400 engine from an unrecoverable parts car would be just the ticket with a 348 transaxle...

19. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    I can be of help on a P4 replica, e mail me & I can send you some info , pics etc. in Fiberglass or Aluminium.

20. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

What a looking fantastic car & what a superb documented build you did.

I would love it if someone built a kit based on a Mondial for say a P4 or similar, I would definitely be interested especially if it was considerably lighter

21. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004

I saw one of those using Corvette C5 componates. I never thought that anyone would build anymore 917 replicas after the laser 917.

22. W84ME

W84ME Karting

May 10, 2006
    Superformance only sells assembled cars less engine and trans, not really kit cars, more along the line of component cars. Factory Five makes a nice kit but they are a compromise using production car components and making them work on their frame instead of designing spec items. That engine sounds like it would make 600-800hp. You will not be able to use a T56 trans in a mid engined car. You would be more likely to use a G-50 from a Porsche. For the kind of power (especially torque) that you will be putting out you better send the transaxle to PowerHouse II and discuss what kind of gearing and upgrades you are going to want. With that kind of power you will be spending $15k+ on the tranny. You will probably also need some kind of boost control so you do not grenade the trans on your first launch.

I also vote for a call to Fran at RCR if you are looking for a mid engined replica.

23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #23 WJHMH, Oct 3, 2006
    Ol' Bob Norwood is at again. He first built about 12 until the mid 90's, I have an idea why he stopped. It is without a doubt one the best recreations that I've seen. (& I haven't seen that many.)

www.p4norwood.com

Here's a build photo I took circa 1990 at the Tracy St. building not far from the SMU campus.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Ha ha thanks I needed the laugh. How is a mustang motor a POS exactly? The T-56 is a 6 speed trans built by Tremec thats in vettes, cobras, vipers, and even the vanquish.

25. lino47

lino47 Rookie

Feb 25, 2010
    #25 lino47, Jun 21, 2011