Beep Beep @ 360 Spider and F1 Transmission light/symbol :-( | FerrariChat

Beep Beep @ 360 Spider and F1 Transmission light/symbol :-(

Discussion in '360/430' started by MarcusCLT, Jun 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Hi, wondering if anyone has experienced this..the last few weeks, a few times the car would suddenly Beep Beep, maybe 2 or 3 times, but no warning signals or alarms and then nothing and worked fine....this evening..it did the same Beep Beep and then the F1 Transmission symbol lit up. Still drove fine, no problem.

I know nothing about cars, I'm just an owner who likes to drive them...does this mean a new clutch or? I will bring baby to shop but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU very much.

2. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    The beeping sound is the sound of the clutch burning up....
    there is nothing you can do about this!

good luck

3. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    ??? What does this posting mean???

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A "beep beep sound" is a little vague for diagnosis over the internet. Sounds like the security horn to me, but no way to tell without more information (i.e., does it sound the same as when you disengage the immobilizer with the key FOB?). Don't know what kouroshoo7 is talking about but doesn't sound clutch related to me (at least not directly).

The F1 symbol lighting up sounds more serious and likely related to some other component of the F1 transmission system. I would have that diagnosed ASAP by an expert with a factory SD3-4 computer before serious damage is done. Catching things early is usually key to keeping costs and inconvenience down. It's a great car so best of luck!

5. scubamike

scubamike Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    In the south
    Sounds like what happened to mine. Started having shifting problems. It ended up being the F1 pump motor. Take it to a shop that does service on Ferraris and they will sort it out for you.

6. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Thank you All....did speak with Foreign Cars Italia and I will be dropping it off today...talking to their chief Ferrari mechanic and explaining the situation and the Beep Beep, he was rather confident it was not related to clutch but instead some electrical malfunction...and better news was, in all his years, seeing the F1 Transmission Symbol has never been related to the Clutch instead something electrical again....

They will look at the car next week..so will share their findings...and hopefully just Electrical or something minor :)

7. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sounds like the clutch overheat warning?

8. vas360

vas360 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Hunting Valley Ohio
    This happened on my 360 a few weeks back. The transmission indicator will generally flash while the security alarm engages in multiple beeps. These annoying flashes and beeps stopped a few days later. I did not drive the car in the interim. I had the car scanned with the computer at my house by the Ferrari mechanic. The problem involved the F-1 transmission fluid level and was electrical in nature. No clutch issue was remotely involved. Many Ferrari shop owners will make a house call, if you ask. The cost is much cheaper than flat bedding the car. They can give you the green light to drive the 360 or send into the shop for more analysis.

9. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Hi, thank you for response....appears to be the exact same problem...but worried about the Fluid level considering I recently had complete service on car including new belts...Car has now arrived at Ferrari GSO..so waiting for response...but it does sound to be the exact same issue...Thank you.

10. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Here are the sequential check points:

1. Check your car systems with an SD2 scanner, which may tell you what is the problem.
    If there are no obvious problems with the F1 hydraulic system, then go to the next step.

2. Check the engine lid closing sensor (switch). I had a similar problem in the past: the engine lid sensor/switch located inside the lock mechanism has become lose and when stopping on a red light, the car would stall and the transmission light would come on...
    I found that the spring of that switch had become weak and had to be slightly bent using small pliers so that it would press on the microswitch more efficiently. That resolved the problem, which had nothing to do with the F1 transmission system !
    If this does not resolve the problem go to the next step.

3. Open the right side pannel in the engine compartment by unscrewing the retaining screws. Check the F1 hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir. Add more fluid if needed. If this does not resolve the problem go to the next step.

3. Check and/or change the F1 relay, which is located in the compartment behind the passenger's seat, Ferrari #155437. You can get it from Ricambi America or search eBay.
    If this does not resolve the problem go to the next step.

4. Check the resistance of the F1 pum pump electric motor; 2 ohms is the norm. If there is an electric shortage (which is typical) the resistance will be 0; however, if the resistance is too high, then the motor is kaput... Then, you will need to change the F1 pump, Ferrari part #213264 (Ricambi America) or at least its' electric motor (search eBay).

If this does not resolve the problem go to the next step take it to an experienced mechanic or to the dealership (I dont believe I just wrote that ! :)

Good luck!

11. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Hi, and thank you....but you are asking a complete imbecile to do all this? that would be a disaster, I can hardly figure out how to properly close the fuel gasket (yes did already get a check engine warning signal on that one!)... anyhow, car now with FCI in GSO...so al should be well soon.

12. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Well... Having your car inspected and repaired by the F-dealership is a sure thing to do, if you lack knowledge or dexterity to do some of that yourself. Based on your question, I just assumed that you were planning to do check-up and repairs yourself.

Anyways, I hope that my recommendations will be helpful to others as well.

Cheers,
    Juri.

13. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #13 Juri, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    Have you had the whole F1 pump replaced or just the electric motor?
    Replacing the burnt electric motor in the F1 pump and installing a new relay is the most cost-effective, easier, and faster solution.

P.S. Based on your nickname "scubamike" I assume that you like scuba diving, right? I am an avid scuba diver too.

14. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Hi Kourishoo, unfortunately you were spot ON, per Ferrari, clutch was 100% worn out which caused the beep beep and slipping and shifting....and now have to get a brand new clutch...Thanks a lot :)

15. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Worn out clutch is not a real "problem", because it is readily available and not too hard to replace. Consider this a good type of problem to solve. Dealing with faulty F1 transmission components - is a real pain in the a.......

16. MarcusCLT

MarcusCLT Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Steen
    Juri, the great news is, after paying for a new clutch and rings, I traded in my 360 Spider and got a 2007 430 Spider with 900 miles and clutch is only 2 months old.....getting it tomorrow..very excited

17. fengpi

fengpi Rookie

Jul 14, 2010
    #17 fengpi, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    This happened to me,
    Ferrari dealer missed it when I sent it in for servicing.
    Anyways, I did an F1 gearbox flush with new Redline fluid, and it never happened again!

18. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!

You got yourself a great deal !!!