How Success Killed Duke Nukem | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How Success Killed Duke Nukem

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SPEEDCORE, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I went to the Duke website for a demo download but you have to preorder the game to get it! Screwy.

From the trailer, it looks like a game I could play but might as well wait for some post-release reviews before shelling out $50.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'll pick my copy tomorrow however it's not getting the most favorable reviews.

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Like for movies, professional critics are often much harder on games than the consumer public.

Really crappy games end up stacked twenty deep at halfprice books.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #54 Gran Drewismo, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Some are, some aren't. Some reviewers have absolutely ravaged the game and it largely deserves the bad reviews it has garnered because the game just isn't very good at any level and is mostly piss-poor at every angle. Take into consideration its gestation time and the vast amount of time and money spent on it and you wind up with a lot of people that are numb and slack-jawed at this utterly mediocre effort.

Gearbox bought the IP looking to cash in on DN2 with an eye towards putting their own (very good) mark on the IP for DN3...but gawt damn, this is one utterly horrible game, so bad that the IP may be damaged beyond repair.

If there are any people out there on the fence about this game and still haven't bought Borderlands...buy Borderlands and enjoy an excellent game and leave this one to rot in some back alley somewhere like the over-pimped, unattractive dead hooker that it is.

6. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I broke down and bought Duke at Target yesterday - $49.99 + tax.

So far, mostly good...humor, decent graphics and action, runs stable with no crashes on my hotrodded six year old system. The ultra-long loadup and reload times are a huge minus.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how much has or hasn't John been involved with this release?

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dont think John is involved at all. At least not once Gearbox took over.

9. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I like it so far, not really all that bad of a game in fact it's just a throw back to the early days of FPS, not overly complicated with command key overload. Can't stand some people thinking this was to be better than the Call of Duty series, it's supposed to be pointless crude fun. I wouldn't surprise me in the least if a majority of the blogging asscclown critics weren't old enough to play the last DN game when it was released.

Online play reminds me of the old Quake 3 arena days (which is still a popular game even today) I can see a ton of mods & tools for PC users to even get more out of DNF.

A couple of things to annoy me though, slow loading screens in between chapters seem to drag on way too long & Duke is only allowed to carry two guns at a time, & the mighty boot is replaced with a melee attack, however it does show up in couple of close move attacks with the square button.

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    John?

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I found a fix for the slow loading (PC version) on the 2K Games discussion board:

-Open Windows task manager, right click on Steam.exe and reset process priority from High to Normal or Low. For a dual-core processors, set affinity to one core. (I have a P4 processor so had nothing to do there)

-With game running, find DukeForever.exe and reset priority to High.

At each reset, a warning message comes up but I plunged ahead anyway. So far, so good. Loadup and reload times have decreased from over five minutes to about twenty seconds.

The game runs great on my souped up six-year-old Dell system: P4 3.4 Ghz, 3 Ghz RAM, evga 8800 GTX video card, standard hard drive. I'm at about 85% full video settings now and performance is smooth with no crashes yet.

The stated system requirements spec a dual-core processor but mine will run just about anything with the old P4.

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  13. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think Romero?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Carmack

16. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oops, I meant it's NOT that bad of a game. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    He's an id man, wouldn't have any reason to work on this.

Besides, he should be working on getting Rage out!

18. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive :(

19. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We interviewed Jon StJohn (voice actor who plays Duke) for our show just before DNF shipped. He was allot of fun and gracious, he even did custom ring tones for us on the spot. What was really cool is that he made one of them an easter egg of sorts when he gave away the ending to the unreleased game, although we didn't realize that until the game was released.

Here is the episode;
    http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup028_2011.02.htm

20. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Cool will check it out :eek:

I did eventually get a copy of the game. I'm yet to finish it but yeah the 2 weapon system blows lol.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Thread revival!

Ever heard of a game by 3DRealms called, “Shadow Warrior?” Came right after Duke Nukem and was far better.