Looking for Subaru | FerrariChat

Looking for Subaru

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by rcraig, May 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Josh finally has license and because of Susan's health we are going to need another car.

I am looking for another Subaru for Josh.

He obviously wants a 900 horsepower WRX STI ........

I am scraping to get something for between 10 and 15,000 with low miles.

Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

2. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Bob...I work for a large dealer group ( Honda, Toyota x2, Nissan, Hyundai). I will check our pre-owned inventory for all of our locations to see what we may have.

David

3. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
  4. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    Your best bet with that price range would be an 04 or 05 WRX- still possible to find those with low miles.

I found my STi on craigslist- seemed like a better place to find an unmolested, stock-ish car with low miles than the forums. I bought mine up in NY, but patience is often key trying to find a good example. The hard part is that WRX/STi owners often tend to be a little hard on the car..

5. idrive_MD

idrive_MD Rookie

Sep 13, 2010
    Belcamp, MD
    Full Name:
    Lester
  6. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    Careful!! Wagons are the most dangerous cars...for single young men that are popular with the ladies. :D

7. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Don, I'm not talking about one for me. Geeeessshhh

8. Barry@PresidentialDetails

BANNED

Nov 7, 2009
    Lancaster PA
    Full Name:
    Barry Theal
    Bob any preference on which subaru? My one wholesale account deals with Subaru. I usally have 10 here a week. I could score one for you wholesale cost.

9. Barry@PresidentialDetails

BANNED

Nov 7, 2009
    Lancaster PA
    Full Name:
    Barry Theal
    I do have a white one here with 40k. STI that has been fully modded with about 25 k in after market motor parts. I think its only 700 plus horse power. They let it go cheap. There having a hard time wholesale it because of the mods

10. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Barry, I'll give you a call.

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Sounds nice, just not for a 16 year old... :)

12. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    You could bolt a piece of wood under the throttle pedal until he gets some track training and experience. Seriously.

13. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Spend about 1/4 of that money and get a nice reliable 2.2L subaru. The 2.5L's that they have been making lately always have some head gasket issue. They are either leaking internally or externally. And unlike most other 4-cyl on the road, you have to take engine out to fix them, and you have 2 to fix.

I have 2 subarus, but don't think I'll be getting another.

14. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Bob, not sure what part of MD you looking in but one of our kids has a pretty good relationship with Annapolis Subaru - PM if it might be an avenue you want to explore.

15. fourseasonsandles

Jul 15, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If you are after an STI. Check Nasioc.com and IWSTI.com. The 2 biggest Subaru and STI forums out there.

Depending on the year you/he wants, it might be tough to find an unmolested STI with low miles on it. If you want reliability, I would stay with a stock motor and no more than an exhaust and a tune. Subarus arent know for making monster HP very easily. I have 18k or so in just my motor and I am only putting down 392whp on a low reading mustang dyno.

If you are after bigger HP, the Evo is a much better platform to tinker with.

16. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Have driven a bunch of different ones, from pure stock STI to a monster hyper-modified over-turboed killer clutch beast. Josh loved it, and I hated it.
    I would definitely not buy anything but pure stock, but regrettably the prices have been completely outrageous . The only ones I have seen under $15,000 have had way over 100000 miles. Frankly while a nice car it's not that much stronger then my regular 2.5.
    Unless I could find something under 50,000 for a great price, I can't see paying for the extras. They just aren't that noticeable. Once you tweak the turbos and virtually everything else they get real quick, but not too enjoyable to drive unless trolling for drag races.

Still looking though.

Bob

17. CCns23

CCns23 Karting

May 21, 2005
    Limerick, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    STi = HUGE insurance premiums for the lad.