Changing the coolant | FerrariChat

Changing the coolant

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by lightning, Feb 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I want to drain/refill the coolant on my Mondial t.
    I can't see a drain plug so was going to park it facing down my drive (a slight hill) and remove the thermostatic fan switch from the bottom of the radiator.
    Will this work?

2. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I think from memory thats how I did it. Although I jacked the back end up and did it that way.

3. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #3 lightning, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    I did this job today. The coolant came out fine when I removed the fan sensor from the radiator, after also removing the cap from the expansion tank of course.

Refilling was not so easy, although I did not expect it to be as straightforward as a normal car!
    I filled it with coolant until the expansion tank was full, and coolant was coming from the bleed screws (top of radiator and front of engine)
    However when I started the engine the water temperature gauge rose rapidly past the normal level. I bled the system again but still water did not appear to be flowing to the radiator. Plus the heater was not working.
    I tried the bleed screw at the front of the engine again and straight away the temperature gauge went down, and the radiator got hot. Still no heater though.
    I went for a short drive and the heater suddenly started to work. I bled the system again and there was quite a bit of air at the top of the radiator.
    After that all seemed fine.

4. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thx for the helpful hints. I am facing the same procedure, soon.

Did you measure the amount of coolant to refill the system? According to the manual the system requires 20 liters (!).

5. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    It does take about 20 litres of coolant. I bought 6 litres of antifreeze and diluting it at 33% used it all, so that's 18 litres. I had to buy another litre and I used a third of it, so I put in 19 litres altogether.

6. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thx again!

7. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    #7 AR!, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Uhm ... how did you reach the bleed screw? From the passenger compartment? I suppose we are talking about the air bleed screw depicted as (1) in the picture?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login