Mondial t: Valeo semi-automatic clutch not working properly | FerrariChat

Mondial t: Valeo semi-automatic clutch not working properly

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AR!, Apr 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    The clutch has been replaced with a new one. The car is equipped with the Valeo clutch.

According to the WSM it should be sufficient to run through the self learning cycle. This worked very well after the last major service. But after the clutch has been changed it seems that somehow the clutch ECU is not running properly through the self learning cycle any more. Either the clutch is engaged all the time or it isn´t engaging at all.

Any ideas how to reset the ECU?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Disconnect the battery. Don't forget to let the engine ecu's relearn the warm up process also.

3. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    AR,

How's the ownership experience been with the t-valeo?
    How long have you had her?
    How many miles on her?
    How many miles on average do you put on her?
    Been able to get adequate service help for the valeo?
    Would you say that the cost of ownership is more than the standard model?
    By how much?
    Would a woman be able to have fun with the car?

(My wife is interested in the idea of an auto-stick. She's a definite non-clutch driver.)

Thanx,

Al

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I am not AR but I will give you my experience with them as a factory trained guy when they came out.

They work very well but the cars are very rare. At the time they came out I was in one of the largest US dealers and we sold one.

We really got no training in them but that did not matter because there were so few cars we all forgot every thing we were ever taught. There was very little support from FNA for the cars ever.

Parts as I understand are a difficult situation at best, at least here in the States but the FCA on a few occasions have directed parts hunters from Europe to me so I suspect the parts situation worldwide is a bit iffy.

They were a very interesting evolutionary step but are in every way an orphan car.

I would advise getting either an F1 equipped car or one of the models that has a full on automatic.

5. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Battery had of course been disconnected. However, the data in the ECU is resident.

As to the questions:

6. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Problem solved.

The Valeo ECU wasn´t to blame.

It was a faulty clutch bearing (at the "Schwingungdämpfer, however this translates into English) which caused failures that the ECU simply couldn´t identify. Hopefully in a couple of days from now I will transform from being a Maserati driver to being a Ferrari driver again ;-)

7. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Thats great it was not an ecu problem, as you learn more about your valeo please continue to post as we all (valeo owners) need to gain as much knowledge as possible so we can help each other. I understand there is a learning process the ecu can go through by repeated start and stops ie 10 I think in 1st gear up to 4000rpm then stop and do it again whether this is true or not I can not confirm. I have recently put a new clutch in mine and it goes well.

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Meanwhile my ECU has undergone a repair. Two out of four power transistors weren't working well. I had all of them exchanged ... the total bill was something like 20 EUR (material and labour) IIRC.

9. TrueRed

TrueRed Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Bharain
    Full Name:
    Majeed Al Sadiq

Hi all, any idea where i can get a new/used clutch ECU for Modial T? regards

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    If you can't find a clutch ECU you might contact edu.de, a company that rebuilds ECU's of all types. Their web site is in German but if you call you will find someone that speaks english.