X-Terra not trail rated? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

X-Terra not trail rated?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, May 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I'm a tard.

[insert sarcasm] Is your second job busting lounge acts for singing "Kung Fu Fighting" (which is offensive to certain nationalities)? [remove sarcasm]

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Naw, no your not!

Tards aren't that stupid! HAHAHAAH J/K :)

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    i guess the only question now is does this topic end up with 7 pages.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seven pages of scorn? Yes.

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #105 tervuren, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
    A prospective buyer might not always be using trails. Sometimes you gotta go where no one has gone before. If there is no trail, its trail rating would not matter. How else would Chevy of given one of its SUV's the name trailblazer? Obviously, they intended it to blaze the trails that jeeps would later be trail rated to follow after.

Now granted, driving on already blazed trails is easier, and if one person blazed a trail to somewhere, they probably had a reason for it, if someone else wanted to go to the same place where someone had already made a trail, using the already made trail makes sense. In that case, trail rating might be a potential issue to the prospective buyer of your Landcruiser.

I guess you have to pick what you want to do - drive on an already made trail, or make your own. Depending on the prospective buyer, your Landcruiser not being trail rated may not be an issue at all.

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    welcome to the party, andrew. thought you wouldn't make it. :)

7. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    You know Andrew, you are right. I guess I was looking at this the wrong way. I think about it like early pioneers, like Lewis and Clark. Often, as the expedition moved, there would be a small party (sometimes only one) that would go ahead of the group and try and spot the best possible route, or rather, find the best possible path to travel. So, even before a there could be a Trailblazer, there had to be a Pathfinder. If you're not a pathfinder, you are a follower.

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    update - friend of mine just changed from the local nissan dealership to the crysler jeep house. we talked last night about the whole trail rated thing. he said that the only reason that the other makes don't have the trail rated badging has to due with torque in the lower gears and something he said about the suspension. so there's not a lot of difference but there defanantly is some differences.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  11. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
  12. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    oy vey.
    :D

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    you guys is killing me

14. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    Husker I think your on to something with the Trail Rating on the Jeeps. But have more info involving the Jeep Rubicon. Was told by a good friend at a 4wd shop. Nissan, Hummer H2, GM, Ford all showed up at the Rubicon Trail only the Jeep made it through. And was certified Rubicon worthy.

15. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    Had alot to do with the detachable sway bar.

16. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    Hard to believe Hummer H2, Ford, GM failed at the trail.

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    why surprised? They aren't trail rated and won't be probably any time soon. Thats the hole point. If you need something that will get you through about anything youll need to stick with stuff that's trail rated.

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    *sigh*

Just go buy a Jeep then. Enjoy it and quit cluttering up FChat with their marketing and propaganda. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    Andrew.

19. Stump

Stump Rookie

Apr 12, 2007
    The Carolinas
    If you need to go where there is no trail do you need to take something other than a trail rated jeep? I am just saying, If it is trail rated it should stay on the tail becouse that is all it is rated for.

20. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Great point. Why isn't there a street rating, and why are Jeeps street rated? Guess I can get cheaper off road use only tags, sweet.

21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Well for one a car doesn't have to be street rated because it's just pavement. SUVs have to be trail rated because driving on the street is not always possable. The whole thing about the rating is it says the vehicle is better equipped to take on certain off road challenges whereas the other vehicles are not. Therefore because of that no street rating is even needed.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    One more thought, if the trail rating wasn't important they wouldn't even have it.

23. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I'm hanging on every word....

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All good points. Except the absence of a trail should get some kind of rating as well.

25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    one more thing i would add.

if you are hauling around a bunch of kids and are trying to get through some serious mud or a hail storm, and you have a wreck and one of the kids get hurt or worse yet killed, you might get sued by one of the parents if you weren't driving a suv that is trail rated because then you might not have the accident.