0373 for sale, what do you think of its current state? | FerrariChat

0373 for sale, what do you think of its current state?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by bigodino, Mar 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    For sale @ Sheehan:

Delivered new to Jacques Swaters of Garage Francorchamps in 1955 and then sold new by Garage Francorchamps to Philippe Washer, the famous Belgian tennis player. In 1956, it competed and finished 3rd in the 1956 Liege-Rome-Liege rally wearing car number 60 and driven by the legendary Olivier Gendebien (co-driven by Pierre Stasse). Gendebien was the cousin of car's owner (Washer). 250 Europa GT s/n 0373 GT was fitted with metal stone guards and rally lights for this event (as fitted to the car presently). The Europa GT was then sold to Gendebien.

0373 GT had two more Belgian owners before it made its journey to America. In 1993, s/n 0373 GT underwent an extensive build/restoration by Terry Myr in Smiths Creek, Michigan and Kleeves Company in Kimball, Michigan for vintage racing and rally events. For the project, Ferrari 250 GTE S/N 3593 was purchased and the engine and differential were installed into 0373 GT. A Ferrari 412 5-speed gearbox was sourced and installed in 0373 GT as well. The 3.0-liter V-12 engine was modified with SEFAC-type cylinder heads, a six-carb setup, and other extensive upgrades. 0373 GT produces 300+ horsepower and weighs 3,020 pounds with a full tank of fuel. The restoration was completed in 1996.

In 1997, Europa GT s/n 0373 GT was entered in the Tour de France and the Monterey Historic Races. Between events, the car was constantly maintained by Terry Myr and by Kleeves Company.

In December of 1998, Europa GT s/n 0373 GT was sent back to Terry Myr and Kleeves Company in preparation for the 1999 competition season. The current owner had 0373 GT fitted with the metal stone guards and rally lights as the car was setup with for the 1956 Liege-Rome-Liege rally. The Europa GT was then shipped to Europe for the 1999 season and once again lived at Garage Francorchamps in Belgium under the watchful eye of the late Jacques Swaters. It competed in Spa Ferrari Days and the 1999 Liege-Rome-Liege rally. The Ferrari was then fully rally prepped by Terry Myr and Jade Pig Racing for the La Carrera Panamericana in October of 1999 finishing 1st in the Original PanAm class. After the 1999 La Carrera event, it was determined that the original drum brakes and Borrani wire wheels were not up to the rough roads of Mexico. Jack McAfee had entered a 340 Ferrari in the original La Carrera Panamericana in the 1950s and fitted with Halibrand alloy wheels. John Hajduk at Motorkraft fitted 250 Europa GT s/n 0373 GT with period-correct Halibrand wheels and modern disk brakes. All original parts were kept and are included with the car. 0373 GT was again entered in the La Carrera Panamericana and again finished 1st in class. It just had a full mechanical service performed in March of 2011.

The 250 Europa GT series was the first of Ferrari's long and fabled race-winning 250 GT lineup. As a 1955 250 GT Ferrari with a period racing history, s/n 0373 GT is eligible for any vintage racing or rally event on the planet from the Mille Miglia to the Monterey Historics to the Colorado Grand. Ferrari 250 Europa GT Pinin Farina Coupe S/N 0373 GT offers a rare opportunity to purchase a well-documented, low-serial number Ferrari with many well-sorted upgrades to make the car faster and more reliable for events, like the La Carrera Panamericana or other historic events, without compromising the vintage rally feel of this unique Ferrari. Additionally, many original spares are included with the car. A full list of spares is available upon request. Priced to sell at $595,500.

Personally I think it's too bad that the car has been modified this way, even though ofcourse all can be reversed because the original parts are still there. Adding race history with participation in a retro event does nothing for me, including the 'race livery' and Halibrand wheels. It's too much replica to me which the car didn't need. It has a very interesting (race) history by itself.

What do you think?

Best, Peter

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    When I read the description, I was somehwat amazed; why?

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Didn't the 250 Europa GT come with coil front springs?

john

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Those screen are just weird. I guess if you owned 20 vintage ferrari's it would be OK because you have plenty of other cars to look at, but wow thats ugly.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I believe they are one of the few things correct on the car

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Correct. The photos posted by Wayne don't show the Carrera Panamericana race livery it has now. Or maybe these pictures are more recent and the decals have been removed.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Ahh vulture and condor nets

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Great pix. where and when. thanks tongascrew

9. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    It's me again. What's the story with the valve covers and the cold air box. I have seen these befor on this car only but never got around to asking. just one man's opinion tongascrew

10. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    This example is obviously set up for vintage racing, and if you look at the way it's been prepared it more resembles NASCAR than period Ferrari. I'm sure it's much, much faster now than it was in period, and it's probably an E-Ticket ride around Laguna Seca.

But, really, what's the point of taking a truly elegant Pinin Farina designed touring car and transforming it into a pretty hideous Boy Racer mount?

It seems to me to have become neither fish nor fowl: far removed from its important period competition history, and now useful only for vintage racing.

Compare this example to the Ivory 250 GT Europa that's been shown at The Quail and Cavallino. (Or, for that matter, Clifton Webb's Europa in "The Boy on the Dolphin," which was filmed in Italy in period. (Almost took your attention away from Sophia Loren, dripping wet, as a skin diver.)

Is this car really worth $600k in its current form?

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    #12 readplays, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Minor digression, IIRC, Boy On A Dolphin car was a 375 America.
    Agree with everything you said in your post, FWIW.

Best,
    Dave

EDIT- 0339AL 375 America PF Coupe

12. pacpaldoc

pacpaldoc Rookie

Sep 13, 2005
    Pacific Palisades, C
    Full Name:
    Tony Pfannkuche
    A 375 America, not a 250 GT Europa..

I stand corrected. Wonderful car, and, by the way, nicely filmed. But... Sophia....

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was Mercedes that added "buzzard bars" after an impact......

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Time will tell..........

15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #16 The Red Baron, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

What serial number was this.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I like it. But the 412 gearbox bugs me. Where is the original engine?

17. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The 412 gearbox was probably a way to get a stout transmission with the additional gear (I'm not familiar with the gear ratios of either car, but I'd guess it'd be a closer spread with the 412 box to get max power out to the wheels. Also, easier/cheaper - relatively speaking - to fix than the original Europa box).

Where's the original motor? Good question. Again, probably didn't come with the car when the owner bought it in 1993. I'm sure if the original engine was included in the sale, it would have been mentioned (only states "...many original spares...").

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    So what are those for javelina and chupacabra?

19. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with alot of the prior statements. To many "racing" "upgrades" for my taste. My taste does lean twords period correct factory peices though. Also, as the OP stated, the modern "vintage" racing history done over the past 20 years does nothing for me. I almost want to say it makes it less appealing. Throw in all the modifications (412 gear box: uggh) and no mention of the 250 matching S/N engine.... really, is the seller keeping the original engine? Who would do that? You keep the runner/hot rod engine you built to run it and sell it with the original. Maybe I have to much emotion for 250 TRs/GTOs/Lussos in their purist form.

In the end, $600k might be what it is worth for what it is and more importantly isn't. Only buyers and the seller can confirm that though.

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Here:

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Carb box nuts should be round knurled knobs.....and the studs are too long......:D :D :D

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
  24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    If it was mine I would have made the roll cage removable, maybe it is?