Hide Food?? | FerrariChat

Hide Food??

Discussion in '308/328' started by shawxhurst, Mar 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Anyone have experience using Hide Food to maintain leather? I had my interior redone with new leather a bit over a year ago and the shop gave me a jar of the stuff. I've read lots of comments here about Lexol, Leatheique, etc. mostly as used for major leather rejuvination. I'm thinking Hide Food is more along the maintainance path but haven't tried it yet. The shop said I wouldn't need it for a year - I'm at that point and need to do a bit of interior cleanup.
    Thoughts?

2. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Look into leatherique products.

redqv likes this.
  3. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Connolly hide food is fine. It takes the exclusive/years of tradition drivel to market itself but it's a decent product. After trying it and leatherique i always come back to lexol though.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hide Food is all that remains of the Conolly Leather company, good stuff.

Better than Leatherique, IMO.

I use Lexol across the board for leather care, but mainly because of my alligator boots and stuff.....

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are so smart.....when are you dropping back over????

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks

LOL! Had to send someone else to Houston this year since we had 3 shows going at once. Hope to be back next year.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino

I used to use Conolly hide food for many years on my car. I ordered a new container of it about a year ago or so and it looked totally different, very watery. I was afraid to use it and thought that maybe I got a bad container of it. I called and returned it and they sent me another one and again it looked very watery so I still haven't used it. It smells similar to the stuff I used to buy but it looks different. Not sure if anyone else noticed this and if they have used it with good results.

Best regards,
    Dino

8. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    Just opened mine - there's some liquid there but its been sitting on my shelf for over a year and who knows how long at the dealer. Looks like it will stir out to a cream or light paste. Guess I'll try it on an "inconspicous area". Wonder where that will be !?!

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I only use Hide Food, and Lexol in the Jaguar. Would never use it in a Ferrari.

10. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Good point. Best to use extra virgin olive oil mixed with a little balsamic vinegar in the ferrari.

obertRo likes this.
  11. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Used to be a company called 'Huberd's Shoe Grease' who catered to lumber jacks for weatherproofing their boots which were crucial for survival in the woods. It is made from pine tar and bees wax and although the lumberjacks are long gone, many people still swear by this stuff for their leather goods as it worked, well. Huberd claimed that animal fats normally used soon turned rancid ruining the leather.

Another leather remedy was called 'Mink Oil'. And then there's Neats Foot Oil. Never figured out of they would kill a Neat and squeeze the oil out of it. Or just squeezed the 'Neat's Foot' to get the oil. Or maybe it was oil to rub onto a Neat's foot.

Meanwhile I'm a Leatherique user.

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Keep in mind that if your leather has ever been redyed with Conolly spray, it's sealed your leather and made it difficult for *any* treatment to be well absorbed.

13. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    #13 kosmo, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Hide Food is now Hide Care.

I used to use it all the time now i use Lexol and leatherique.
    I found the stuff to be very waxy and prone to attract dirt and dust.
    Remember this is not a cleaner, so you'll have to clean it first. Lexol is PH neutral and will do the job.
    Once applied let the car bask in the hot sun . GL

14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I think Leatherique is the best. Hide food has solvents in it. The leatherique if used right makes the leather soft especially in the old cars. The pristine clean is the best treatment I have ever used to clean bumpers and tires removing the brown stain on tires and leaving all with a matte finish. JMHO

Rob

15. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not exactly the subject but some feed-back would be appreciated. I have done and re-done our seats with Leatherique and am happy with the results but we cannot seem to get anything to stick to the piping! It looks perfect until I get in and out a few times with jeans on. A solutin would be Ti-s! lost

16. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Leather.

Just watched the Stuttgard Porsch factory program where they produce over a hundred plus 911 cars per day. Each car requires 6 cow hides for seats, dash, doors etc. Six cows per car! Picture the German cowboys working that herd into the back of the factory...600+ cows a day, hides to the right, sausages left.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Never heard of this one.
    Got this in my shoe-shine box. Works great on workboots for waterproofing. But it is always greasy - ie waterproofed.
    Got this too. Great for leather products like baseball gloves. It does turn products dark.
    Same here now. Use it for all my leather products

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i think it is 8 or 10 for the Bentley CGT and more for the larger Bentley cars. All i know is, when doing the pre-winter Leatherique process there is leather everywhere you look... and then some!

Oh, and add another vote for Leatherique.

19. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    I find the ferrari leather so much better than the jag.......had a lot of trouble with the jags

20. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I have tried them all and not really crazy about any of them. I usually just clean with a soft, damp cloth and one yearly treatment of leatherique/pristine clean.

One side note on the rejuvenator oil. By accident and trial, I found that it works really well on wood. If you get a water spot on furniture or a heat spot, pour some on and let it sit overnight and it will take them out.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Can anyone who has experience using Connolly Hide Care let me know the best application process? I just bought some for my 328 but the instructions are rather minimal. Thank you.

22. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #22 Dino944, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    I used to use to clean the leather first (to make sure there was no dirt or dust on the surface, and then use a small amount of hide food on a clean cotton cloth and rub it onto the leather surfaces. When I finished a section (say a seat or door panel) I'd use a clean cloth to wipe off the excess. I actually stopped using Connolly Hide food because when I ordered some about 10 years ago, it looked quite different from what I was using when the original company was still in business. The new stuff they sent me was watery and I was afraid to use it. The old stuff, when the company was still in business looked like a cream.

I've since switched to Lexol. I've had no issues with it. It has not changed the way the leather looked or felt compared to when I used to use the old Connolly Hide Food, nor has it changed the way my car smells (and my car smells like it did the day it came home new, it only has 6,500 miles). Also much of my interior is crema which is a very light color. Anyway, good luck with it. Cheers!

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Thank you for your thoughts. I've heard others mention that the jar they received was watery. Mine came in the mail last night and it was very creamy. I think it may have been a case of poor storage that caused the molecules to separate.

24. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That's what I thought, but no mixing or shaking made it look like what I had been used to using from them in the past. They even sent me another when I called and complained and it looked like a watery mess again, and not like the old product. Anyway, good luck!

25. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Hide Food good product ,smell not so good