I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!! | Page 8 | FerrariChat

I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Apr 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

....I ain't gonna say it....

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

2. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #177 Juri, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Great find, Kerry ! Well done... I will add this part into my alternative spare parts to Testarossa catalogue (more than 300+ parts and growing... ;-)

3. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #178 Juri, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kerry,
    Attached is a PDF with the original SKF39120 dimensions for future reference.
    Cross-reference for this part:
    MACKPDC 39120
    NAPA 39120
    ***-CANADA-SEALS 21953

See this link: http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_parts_lookup_457012.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Kerry -- Did you mistype the overall thicknesses? In the photos it sure looks like the F part is 13mm thick and the SKF part is 12mm thick (which is what is in the SKF data file Juri posted).

5. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #180 kerrywittig, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Yes I did Steve!.....Wow, I got dyslectic must be......LOL. Thanks for pointing it out.

SKF is 12mm
    Ferrari is 13mm

And thanks Juri for posting that info.........It's nice to know there are other that are as OCD about such "important" F car facts and fixes!!

eM sdrawkcaB

6. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    #181 Juri, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Kerry, I was trying to be more "diplomatic" regarding your little mixup with measurements and, therefore, posted the SKF data hoping that you will review and notice this mistake.., but Steven noticed it first... (sharp !)
    With everything you are going through with the motor, no wonder such mistakes can happen... Hang in there, buddy!
    I figured - once this info gets into the FChat, then it may be referenced for years to come...
    Cheers.

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Update.............Got the clutches balanced and have the new lifetime oil filter in hand. Time to get this thing back together! Oh yeah, I have a vacuum pump shaft now in hand to.....................Duplicate!!

Balanced, Super Filtered & Copy Catting Me

8. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Glad to hear that you made a huge progress and are ready to put it all together. Let us know how it all turns out.
    Cheers!

9. freedomgli

freedomgli Karting

Sep 20, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad you decided to repair rather then buy a F355. Ithaca is my dear hometown. The first pictures make me miss it. But not right now. Too much snow!

10. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #185 kerrywittig, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    Just an interesting bit of info possibly......

As I wrote previously, that I got my clutch disks back from the machine shop this past week.............

I called the machine shop bright and early (8 am) this morning to pay the bill that was not enclosed with the disks.............I was told no charge! The shop said that one disk was 1 gram out and the second was 2 grams out of balance........they trimmed a bit off the outside diameter and shipped them back ready to install.

Yeah, it's great that they did this service in just a few days and at no cost (I did spend a bit of the family fortune there when they did the heads).....but I found it interesting that the disks that I had relined for a cost of about $140 were that close............I don't know if that is a testament to the reliner or the condition and construction of the steel backing plates of the OEM clutches?

Just goes to show that one may not nessasarily need to spend big F pimp dollars for "new" disks when they can be relined at a fraction of that cost.

And as TSM states one needs to install the disks with the "heavy" marks opposing each other when refitting OEM Ferrari clutch disks.............Ahhhh, I got better than new!!!

Bragging Me

11. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I should be back to re-assembling the engine next week and I will post pixs of the new oil filter I am going to use, compared to the UFI, as seen mounted on the engine.

F, F-F F.... Filter Me

12. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #187 kerrywittig, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Filter info is still forthcoming...with what I believe is a very economical, yet much better specs filter than any other filter out there ......including the UFI!

Check here for latest filter pix: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309636&page=4

But this quick post has another purpose............

I accidentally found out that if your in need of a clutch alignment tool when doing a clutch install on a TR, that a Toyota coarse spline clutch alignment shaft is the same as the TR. I have been building Toyota transmissions and transfer cases for offroad use for years........and so today when installing the clutches and pressure plate I sorta cocked my head like a dog that hears that super highfrequency that humans can't, and noticed that that the splines looked very familiar............to the top tool box, second drawer, grabbed my Toyota alignment tool ($5 vs who knows for the Ferrari equivalent) and voila'............so there.

Next week I'll explain how you can take a mayonaise jar and not only make an affordable windshield washer reservoir for your Testarossa, but also be able to actually fill it with vinegar and spices when in winter storage and produce some of the finest pickled eggs in the Americas!!

Ya'll come back now.....hear Me

13. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Kerry, ur da man !!!
    Eagerly awaiting you r next post about the specs and surce of the Toyota jig... !
    :-D

14. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Great find Kerry. Be sure to put that in the cheap replacement parts section of FC.

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #190 kerrywittig, Feb 17, 2011
    Well as embarrassing as it is to admit.........Somehow I "lost" the six 8mm studs that live in the flywheel to secure the clutch cover/pressure plate. I have the nuts, washers, dowels, and alignment studs...........but who know where they ran off too.
    So I set off to find some new or used ones....no used and new from the F rapist are $41+!! So I found the ones you see below at my local NAPA for $2.68 each.....thats a total purchase price of about $18 vs. $246....saving me time and $228.
    Below are pix of how much they protrude as each clutch pack component is installed, as well as a pix of the infamous Toyota 10 spline, 1 1/8" diameter clutch alignment tool. Low cost and you can probably go to any transmission repair place or Toy dealership and either rent it for a few bucks or better yet just ask to borrow it and leave them a $50 deposit and they'll hope you never come back with it.......or contact me and you can borrow mine!!
    By the way it comes with any complete clutch part package for early 1968-1980 Toyota FJ40 Landcruisers.

By the way the hardness for these studs is 10.8..........

Got studs Me

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Those are actually a little longer so it is easier to reinstall the pressure plate. With std studs you need to leave the washers off and put a few nuts on to compress the spring before there is enough thread for the washers too.

This is one of those cases where you thought you screwed up but you really didn't.

17. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #192 kerrywittig, Feb 17, 2011
    I forgot that I had posted this "offer" many months ago until someone here on the forum PM'd me asked if I still had some available........well yes I do!

So for those of you still longing for a used engine "component" from a TR send me a PM and I'll start shipping them immediately (I'm home for couple of weeks finally!).....By the way just state whether you want bent or straight, cleaned or left with an Italia carbon "patina"........Paypal accepted!!

Sellin' junk Me

18. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #193 kerrywittig, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Geez Brian, You sound like a proud Father! Thanks Pops!! LOL

Got a new Daddy Me

19. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #194 kerrywittig, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    an
    All orders for "used" valves are on the way.........Thanks Hans, Francios, Ken and Dirk.....only a few "examples" left...........If others are interested PM me and I shall send you a Ferrari part (valve(s)) from Hell!!

Devilish Me

20. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks, can't wait to get mine.....

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #196 kerrywittig, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    I have a few questions...........

Why is it necessary, or a good idea to replace the bolts that secure the ring gear to the carrier? I've done dozens of differentials in my lifetime and have never thought of this as a requirement, precautionary or otherwise..........

Would it be a good idea (even though probably overkill) to have the differential assembly, as well as the drive flanges balanced? Seems to me it could really be beneficial for the longevity of the driveline that lives in a "little room" in the "basement" of the engine?
    Did this on a Lotus years ago and it seemed to make a difference....to me...I think......psychosomatic possibly?!?!

Would there be an interest from forum participants to have a step by step with pix of a "How To" remove the carrier? Ya know, "With pictures and circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one? Real official police lookin' stuff!" (Courtesy of Arlo Guthrie lyrics from thesong/story "Alice's Restaurant") Or has this already been done?.......I can't find one!
    I figure as long as I have it apart...................

Why why Me

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks, I have two buddies that will nearly wet themselves when they get them. For folks who don't see these cars every day it is very exciting to have a real Ferrari part that was used to sing that tune. Thanks again.

23. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Think I'll frame mine when I'll get it. In order to remember when MY $$$ flashed in front of MY eyes 2 years ago. :D

24. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    I will be very interested to see pictures and step by step description as well.
    We all should create a repository of files containing informatio on "how to do" different replacement or repair procedures.

25. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Kerry - I would be most interested in a fully documented R&R as I may do an insurance upgrade at my next major.

Oh, and if there are any valves left put my name on one - straight or bent, matters not. Paypal work for you?

CC