.44 Mag. Which one would you pick? Colt v/s S&W. | FerrariChat

.44 Mag. Which one would you pick? Colt v/s S&W.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TcpSec, Jan 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Looking to get something as a last resort defense in the bear country. Which one would you pick and why?

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I have both.

I love the looks of the Colt but the S&W has a much better trigger out the box.

Balance very similar, quality very similar.

I imagine you would be pleased with either.

3. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    When I think .41 and .44 I think Smith.
    .357 will always be Python.

5. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I've fired a S&W .44 no others. It was a beast. Colts are way more pricy I think. I own 2 Rugars & 2 S&W that are fine guns but have never owned a Colt. Looking forward to the polls here.

6. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If its only purpose is defense against a charging bear, I'd definitely go with something like a .454 Casull or the .500 S&W.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Ruger Super Blackhawk.

8. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Have you ever seen a .500 S&W? It is bigger than an Uzi!!

A 4" .44 Mag is the most packable of anything that stands a chance against a bear. So, the choice is between Colt and S&W. Currently leaning towards S&W; many folks have recommended Ruger and I may consider it.

Any 'Colt' enthusiasts wishing to chime in?

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    There is no defense against a charging bear...because you don't see them coming. And besides, let's separate the bear types. Blacks don't screw around with humans, usually. Browns...flip a coin. Beyond that, all bears in NA are just about 1.8x faster in a sprint than a human and all of them are good at hiding before they do it.

To give you an idea of how good browns are at hiding, I once came across a brown bear print in the mud. It was filling up with water. At no point did I ever know where the brown was, and this wasn't some ultra-wooded area. Get the jist?

Travel in pairs, and make sure the pair of you are carrying rifles that you both know how to use. I used a Sako 375 H&H Mag and so did my friend because in terms of bear, no kill is overkill.

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Here in lies the best defense against bears.

Just make sure you can run faster than your buddy and you'll be OK!

11. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Taurus Judge , loads either (or both at same time) .45 colt or .410 shells . Mine is usally loaded with 2 .410/.45/410/45 Blind with first 2 shot's then the bullet for finishing work , then again in FL not really planning on a bear attack , more other potential perp's

12. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    I was going to suggest the same, but I might want a SW 500 if I'm worried about grizzlies. I usually load my judge with 2 .410's, following 3 with the .45. I got hooked on the judge when I worked for a few months down south developing farm land and the .410 made excellent snake repellents. I was giving it on loan from my boss and bought one when I came back up north.

13. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    #13 Santiago Montenegro, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    No. Because you don't think they could move that fast. Eg. a redneck loaded up on white lightening w/ 2 teeth to the family. Can you say garage sale? We have a place called Tiger Ridge... You are going to need a bigger gun.

15. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I have a Glock .40 S+W and that thing sounds like a cannon.

RMX

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    S&W .500, why chance shot placement over sheer stopping power. There are a few 'private loaders' out there almost doubling the load and pushing 900-1000gr slug's with the .500 S&W in bear country. I'll sacrafice 20-30lb's of pack/suppiles (smart packing) if it mean's I know I'm gonna stop the threat in it's track's. Hunted long enough to know I would be packing atleast two highpower sidearm's and if I could afford one atleast a .600 Nitro Express, I'm going home.

You don't F'around in bear country and should always be prepared for the unexpected.

17. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    I lived in Alaska for 10 years and carried a .454 Casull, I felt fairly comfortble with it and I knew that with the proper shot placement you could possibly escape death...but...I never went salmon fishing alone!

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #18 texasmr2, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    By chance did you see that Alaskan State Troopers episode where that one trooper cruised the river and talked to that one fisherman who had a .500 laying next to him? The fisherman said after having a big brownie sneak up on him the .500 is now his permanent fishing companion.

Yes the .454 Casull is more than appropriate, good choice. Discussing this topic just made me think that I would be more at ease carrying this with a custom extended clip lol!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I do really wonder what the .50 Desert Eagle is like to fire... :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
  21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #21 texasmr2, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think it would be close to my brothers old Thompson Contender in .270 caliber, not his but a great reference pic follows and that pistol was awesome. Concerning the DE you can see that the pistol is very heavy at the front end to help and with some basic skills recoil is reduced a great deal and help's one return to 'point of aim' alot quicker and easier. On another note I read about a gentleman in S.Africa who build's .600 Nitro Express barrel's for the TC at the measly cost of $20K per barrel YIKES!!!

The Thompson reference pic and .600 TC video.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yzI0AIpUUA&feature=related[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not sure I would want a gun that would leap out of my hands and smash my face in every time I pulled the trigger. I guess that would make accuracy in your first shot extremely important... as you'd be unconscious before getting the opportunity to pull the trigger again. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #23 texasmr2, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
    In reality the guy was an idiot and did not properly hold/support/retain the gun while knowing fully well what he was getting into. Anyone who knows how to properly shoot a powerful pistol would not let that happen, I think he had a few too many before hitting the range anyway. Just look at his posture and retention, first time I saw the video I knew what was going to happen.

A pistol that powerful I would not try too free hand the first time. Just like a new sports car we must ease slowly into the learning curve or call our insurance agent with a doozy of a story.

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    ^^^ that guy needs to whine on national TV and see if Art will take his case against the videographer and YouTube.

25. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Pretty smooth, actually, although you have to make sure not to limp wrist it, otherwise the extremely long slide won't reciprocate far enough to chamber another round.