Need help with paint on Michelotti | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help with paint on Michelotti

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by autodoug, Jan 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Not helping the discussion, but it is amazing how much Triumph Stag there is in that car already.

2. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    #27 Randy Forbes, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Phoenix Yellow was brought out in 2001, with the S-54 engined ///M cars. This is a supercharged 01 ///M Coupe that I did some pretty extensive work on: http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album95

Edit: I should point out, in the BMW community, this is a love it, or hate it color (much like the emotion for the ///M Coupe itself).

Also, it DOES NOT surprise me that Ed Niles once owned this car, in fact, I was betting on it! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #28 Wheels1, Jan 22, 2011
  4. autodoug

autodoug Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Doug Kielian
    #29 autodoug, Jan 26, 2011
    Dino thanks for the front shot that will help me out a lot with the paint line. I haven't seen that one before, great info guys thanks for helping. The color we matched up to the back side of the door hinges that have never been painted we got it real close to the original solid color no metallic! Matter of fact I painted it in signal stage as well to stay more original, than base clear. This car was in very tough shape and it feels good to see it this far along, any body like my new rotisserie the Roller hoop? pretty dang handy for cars like this, We also just finished reconditioning the body paint, interior and floor pan on an Alfa TZ 1 that was pretty rough. welding in the new thin aluminum floor pan I had to make was a challenge but the Roller hoop made it easier! Jack beck Orion Motorsports handled the drive line restoration.

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fantastic thread!

6. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Yes, great thread!!
    And I love the TZ1, looks superb!
    Only thing is the missing trim around the front windscreen?

7. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

8. autodoug

autodoug Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Doug Kielian
    #33 autodoug, Jan 27, 2011
  9. Signor Buona Wrencha

Jun 21, 2008
    Albuquerque
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Man, that Scaglietti color fan deck is a concourse judge's wet dream.

I have photos of that 512 from the early 80s when one of the Donners was tooling around a track in Pueblo, Colorado. Does that family still own it? I know alot of those cars traded hands after a couple of the Donners died.

10. flaviaman

flaviaman Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Vernonia, OR
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I believe that colour was "senape".

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Just a note of congratulations on the excellent work you are doing. I love the shots of the Alfa and the 512. When I had this car, the prices hadn't really started to skyrocket, so I just did what I had to do to make it salable without going broke in the process. The guy I bought it from was a real estate agent and not a car guy, and it was so run-down that I kept chasing problems for the entire time I owned it; little electrical rinky-dinks that I never did fully solve, etc. Needless to say, I'm delighted to see that its getting the full treatment. Keep us posted.

12. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Ed, You can side track anything you want! Your vast knowledge of all things past Ferrari is immeasurable to this community, and we all owe you a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for sharing it with us!!! Best Regards, Mike

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    So maybe the yello terror was not your greatest hour of Ferrari enjoyment with all the niggles that crept up.
    Thinking back, which Ferrari was THE one you enjoyed most - dollars aside. Obviously not the 250LM on a hot summer day...
    CH

14. autodoug

autodoug Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Doug Kielian
    #39 autodoug, Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks Ed we put in a lot of effort in these restorations, The Michelotti was in tough shape under all the paint & filler, once we had it striped all the way down to bare steel and LEAD! We mounted it up in my Roller Hoop rotisserie cut out and exposed a lot of rust and had it media blasted, that cleaned it up real nice and we could see all that needed to be re-worked. It's getting close and thanks to you guys here with some pictures of it I can now proceed with applying the low gloss black, and then reassembly. here are just a few more pictures that show what the car had to go through, and the trip to the media blasters and back, even the dash and glove box had to be rebuilt.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #40 El Wayne, Jan 27, 2011
  16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This will be some car when it's finished.

Is there any public information about the owner?

17. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Same owner for many years.

18. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    You're welcome. Love to see more pictures of the work in progress and some pictures when the car has been brought back to life.

Looks like a lot of interesting projects goes through your hands!

Maarten

19. autodoug

autodoug Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Doug Kielian
    #44 autodoug, Jan 29, 2011
    Yes Dino, We have had a lot of interesting projects in the past, for example a 1947 Volpinie ! one of only two built, Porsche 550, and an RS-60, another red Alfa TZ and many other Giulietta's, and Spiders vintage Lotus cigar, many other crashed vintage race cars, and dozens and dozens of Muscle cars, Mustangs, Shelbys and other classics from 49 Caddys, 48 Crossly Hot Shot with a flat head V8 60 in it, to a brand new 2011 Mustang GT (that we are de-skinning and refabbing with 68 Mustang fastback sheetmetal). A mini Moke, fake 68 Shelby convertible for Sean Penn so he could burn it in his movie "Indian Runner", A 1929 Packard, we even have one of Marion Davis cars lined up to come it a 56 Lincoln. I do some chop tops to and even built 5 shortwheel base Thunderbird SC back in the early 90's. We also have done the body and paint on some top winning 55 56 & 57 Thunderbirds, and it go on & on I start getting dizzy when I think about all the unique stuff that has come through here. And all of it done by mostly young guys that I have trained to be skilled craftsmen. Heck we even build couches out of old cars seen here with Speedy Bill & I setting on one. Woah I'm tiered at 48 it seams like I've done a lifetimes worth of work, but I still have three life time of work yet to do. Better get back at it.
    Later

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That's a gorgeous color of Yellorange.

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Any update on the car Doug?

22. autodoug

autodoug Rookie

Jan 16, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Full Name:
    Doug Kielian
    not to much lately lots of little details gong on sanding & polishing, dash rebuilding blasting and painting small parts etc. trying to find headlamp rings other misc trim. Also working on lots of other project to get caught up! I need more talented craftsmen!! I have way to much work lined up and more wanting to come in SEND HELP! I'll try to down load some more pictures soon.