NSX owners (or previous owners) on FChat? | FerrariChat

NSX owners (or previous owners) on FChat?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by DCNSX, Jan 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    It seems there are quite a few NSX owners and previous owners here. Post up and let us know if you still have your NSX and what Ferrari you have (or want).

I have a '91 black/ivory interior NSX with over 100k miles that I track several times a year. I've had it ten years. Bought an '01 Carrera as a daily driver a coupla years ago, but am currently considering a 360 coupe. With 6-speed. And will track it!

2. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I had a 308 GTSi for four years. During that time I rented an NSX for a week...loved it!

Sold the Ferrari, want another Ferrari (likely a 355 Berlinetta w/ 6 sp...458 later), but I soooo want an NSX to tide me over until then...

...on the hunt soon.

3. JuniorGTR

JuniorGTR Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Jr
    92 Blk/Blk Owned it for about 3-4 months before I hated it. Was nice looking and pretty fun to drive but after a day driving one of my supra's I would miss the HP. I have built and tuned a few turbo and supercharged NSXs and while making more power, they still sort of sucked. The one that stands out was a nice 600whp 94, that one was lots of fun and had plenty of power.

Currently building a nice TT 360 6spd... Lambo style with big turbo's but a lot lighter!

Jr

4. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had a 92 NSX blk/ivory for about 3 yrs. It was a fabulous car, but a little under powered. It was kind of a Japanese Ferrari. Just $129 to tune it up. Very well built and comfy. Handled well, but it could've used 100 more hp. Just wish they would've followed up with improvements. It basically stayed the same through it's production run.

Then I had a slew of Porsches till my 360. Which of course I absolutely love. Nothing like starting the 360. Still get goose bumps.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I had an NSX for almost six years. Fantastic car, replaced it with my first Ferrari, a 355. NSX's are great autos.

6. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Best car I've ever driven. Unmolested ones are increasingly hard to find.

7. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    #7 Bill2, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    I met my wife because of NSX's. We've had 5 between us and her dad has had 4. My wife has had a 1991 silver, 1994 green and a 1992 silver. I've had a 1991 and 1992 red. Her dad has had 2 black, a green and a silverstone.

All three of us have moved on to Italian cars and other exotics. My wife drives a Maserati Gran Turismo, her dad has a Maserati Spyder and I just picked up an F430. The F430 reminds us all of the NSX because of the driving position and size. It's the car Honda could have made if they would have further developed the NSX.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Miami Mermaid drives one.......can we unban her????

9. 328turbo

328turbo Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    nyc
    Never owned one but certainly driven one, and hard!

Those engines rev like rotaries and those cars are a lot of fun. :)
    But the dash reminded me too much of my mothers Honda Accord. :(

10. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I haven't owned an NSX for personal use. I've driven them, of course.

It seems that for many the NSX is a stepping stone toward Ferrari ownership
    It is Ferrari-like in many attributes, but is over-refined almost sterile in its experience
    So while almost everyone that owns the NSX enjoys it, when they move to a Ferrari they fulfill what they say is 'missing' from the NSX.

They're very good cars. Just miss the visceral, emotional connection for some.

Just my observations

11. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had two of them. I '96 Black/tan and a '97 Monte Carlo Blue/tan. Both Comptech supercharged. Hated to see them go.

12. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    ...like an appliance.

Totally reliable, very well balanced, and the engine rev'ed to the moon. Well engineered if a bit down on power as previously stated. However, mid corner---solid. Hard to get it wrong in that car if you were paying attention at all...

Had a NSX-T in green which was a rare color and it never disappointed. Although it never gave me goose bumps either. The Acura 'service it anywhere', no need to have a special handshake with the service manager pecking order b.s. was a real plus.

13. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    ...and Corvette interiors are Cavalier/Cobalt like...(they sometimes even have the same steering!)

14. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    My dream was to attain an NSX ever since H.S. and about 2 years ago I picked up a mint and rare 2004 white/onyx NSX! Had to give up my 08 GT3 which some people think is nuts but it's my money so I was a happy camper :)

Joined this forum since I'm like any other guy who dreams of owning a F-car but so far haven't found the right car yet.

Good to see other ex.NSX and current NSX owners on here. Seems like F-chat is a great group of guys and hope to learn more about the Ferrari from you guys!

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I bought a 1991 black/black 5 speed in 1997. Have driven it to/from work every day since. Its in the parkling lot now. Have just under 100,000 miles; very unmolested but could use a front clip respray from the stone chips.

Still fun to drive and very reliable. Good club support from NSXPrime. Every time I think of replacing it I end up asking myself what for. It still looks and drives good.

It does not get the juices flowing like the Ferraris do but for $20K at best its still a heck of a used car.

Drew Altemara

16. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Had a 91,nice handling and reliable, held its value well...I may get another one and keep it pretty much stock if I do...it may not have 500hp+ power, but i can see out the windows and its not complicated to drive...

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Had a 97 for a while many years ago. GREAT car!!

18. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Had a 91 red/black roof....loved it, superb driver, wonderful engine note...sold it in 2005.

Went through rear tires so fast though :) (camber wear)

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #19 LightGuy, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    There is this almost universal belief that the NSX is a steeping stone along the way to Ferrari ownership.
    It shouldnt be as it is rightly it's own destination. Just like the 2X6 Dino or Lancia Stratos.
    I currently (and will always) own a supurb 91 as well as a 512BB and other sports cars.
    IMO from the very beginning the car lacked 100 HP. It's fine as is, dont get me wrong, but 100 HP would have put it into the true Supercar catagory IMO and it would carry much more overall respect then and now.
    There are reliable supercharger and turbo systems that will do just that.

The car is a milestone. Gordon Murray used IT not any other sports car as his yardstick when designing the F1.

As I have said repeatedly here and other places Ferrari finally caught up with NSX technology with the 360. It took that long.

20. arista5

arista5 Karting

Jul 9, 2009
    Oceanside, NY
    I was on the fence with 99-03 360 but decided on on an 05 NSX for several reasons but the main one being maintenance. I love my NSX

21. cparsons

cparsons Rookie

Aug 26, 2008
    Worthington, OH
    Full Name:
    Casey Parsons
    I love my NSX. Don't plan to ever sell it.

22. rwdCivic

rwdCivic Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    DC
    Full Name:
    N. Hadley
    Do AP2 S2000 owners count? :hides:

I would like to find a clean unmolested GPW in the near future.

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had a '92 red/black with black roof and the nice titanium key. Sold it to buy a Testarossa cash and damn it, I should of finance the $34k they gave me for my NSX and kept it. I miss the hell out of that car.

24. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a mint 2000 NSX (15k miles) and gotta admit I have been thinking about selling it for a 360 or Lambo Modena.

25. DCNSX

DCNSX Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Wow! That's a heckuva response in 24 hours. I do have to give props to NSXPrime.com (as another poster did) for making my ownership experience an incredible one. F-Chat community seems very similar, with lots of good and friendly advice available.

If I do get the 360 coupe, I'll still keep the NSX. Mine is a targa conversion, so I gotta keep one open-air ride. The Carrera will probably have to go, sadly.