Type Face | FerrariChat

Type Face

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Raricar, Nov 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raricar

Raricar Karting

Jun 17, 2010
    Greenwood Village CO
    Full Name:
    Bill M
    I wondered when the first appearance of the Ferrari Logo type on a car started. It is a rather Iconic font with the top of the F being extended to the dot of the i. Just curious no real issues with it.

2. Raricar

Raricar Karting

Jun 17, 2010
    Greenwood Village CO
    Full Name:
    Bill M
    guess nobody know the answer to this one.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Someone just posted a photo from the museum of a wall explanation of the development of the Ferrari trademarks.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #5 VIZSLA, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari probably got the idea of the long F from Pirelli who used a long initial P first in 1908. Surprisingly enough it was an American Ad man who came up with the design.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #6 venusone, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Basically you import the logo into Adobe Illustrator. Pick a san sarif font & stretch to fit over a scanned logo. Adjust curves for specifics. Twist & shape the letters till they match. I do it all the time.

7. ferrariwant2be

ferrariwant2be Karting

Jan 14, 2008
    Free Ferrari-like font for those that are interested. You can use bugmenot.com credentials if you don't want to register. If you don't log in it's a pain in the butt to download.

Not sure how long it will be freely available.

http://www.eaglefonts.com/169710.lightbox.htm

8. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    There are some here who would know the whole story, no doubt. In my reading, primarily of Winston Goodfellow, Robert Cavallo, and a few others, it seems to have showed up on factory Alfas in the early 1930's when Mr. Ferrari was the racing boss for that company. It seems without question that it was first seen prominently on Alfa-Romeo race cars. I wonder if, after he left, or got canned (proof that entrepreneurs make lousy employees), someone had the task of removing the cavallino from those cars?

The origin of the blazon itself is the source of copious historical miasmas.