Help with Mondial bikini top or spider top | FerrariChat

Help with Mondial bikini top or spider top

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Lino, Sep 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #1 Lino, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys,

I got this top for my Mondial. You are suppose use instead of putting up the top. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how it goes but i think i have some sort of clips missing.
    Can anyone help with what is missing and where i can get them. I included the picture below.

thanks,

lino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have no idea how that thing goes on. It is a disaster, especially where they have the straps clanging against the bodywork. I took one look at mine and put it in storage for posterity.

Get yourself a spidertop from Ricambi America. Its lightweight, water resistant, fits perfectly, and doesn't scratch your bodywork.

I believe it was designed by f-chat's very own Hank Sound.

Good luck!

3. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Yes it looks like crap. I will look at that one. I just thought that there was a safe way of putting it on.

4. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #4 JF308, Sep 27, 2010
    I had one of those "tonneau" covers (many myths and legends about their true intent: either a shipping cover for the top or true tonneau). Either way, I would use mine when parking in the sun (top down), or even as a double cover for the canvas top when I knew I'd get caught in a possible CO rainstorm.

#1, your "tabs" at the ends of the elastic sections have not yet been bent into the "L-Shape" or "U-Shape"..... you are not missing any clips. Took me a bit to figure this out, too... didnt seem to fit at first, but it does.

Front seam goes on the top of the windshield. ( the bottom half of the windshield remains exposed.... thus an origin of some of the rumors as to what this piece of canvas is really intended for).
    Elastics with the snaps go around the two side mirrors. (Pull them out first, and then snap. Dont use the mirror for leverage). Again, check the positioning of the seam on the top of the windshield.
    Vertical strap on the doors hangs vertically, and the "tab" is bent into a U-shape, and slides into a small slot in the bottom of the door (no thats not just a drain hole).
    Rear/side elastics go at a 45 degree angle to the rear wheel wells, and the tabs bent into a U-shape to hold.
    Rear/engine....L-shape the tabs, and hook to the engine louvers.

Most of the time, I had the rear windows down (since that was required for to-down), but you can put them back up to tighten the fit a bit, or leave down for airflow.

No, the rear buttress "wings" are not fully covered by the tonneau cover.

it takes a bit of doing to get this set up to fit, but once its done -- I found it very useful, and handy versus risking damage to the top with repeated up/down cycles.

Here is a photo. PM me if you need more help.

John

5. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey thanks, I could not figure out how the straps connected. I did not know I had to bend them into a U.

I will keep for know and probably get the Ricambi one.

Thanks,
    Lino

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Like in JF308's pictures I use mine all the time. I haven't put my top up in 6 months, I put that cover on at night in my carport to keep the local critters out. I'll frequently put a cover over the whole mess. Yes it rests against the bodywork, I've gotten over that.

7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sorry to go off topic, but I am contemplating not putting my top up anymore until winter. It is such a PITA, and I always feel like I am on borrowed time with the roof clamps (I replaced one already).

When you do put the top up, do you notice any damage or difficulty in getting it to fit right after such a long period down?

8. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I stored mine up most of the time. Didn't like the wrinkles in the canvas.

The longest I ever went was about 3 weeks, and I didn't notice any difference.

Key is the just go slow, and if any tugging at all - STOP. Deep breath, and start over.
    20 year old canvas likes to tear.

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +100.

Happened to me last year. It tore right along the buttress. I had to replace the whole damn thing.

10. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Are the Ricambi spider tops waterproof, as well?
    Rob

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are very water resistant IMHO. For liability reasons, I presume they won't claim to being water proof, but the material itself is waterproof, I just don't know how well it would keep its shape under the weight of a monsoon.

Give Daniel @ ricambi a call, I'm sure he knows the answer

12. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thank you for the answer. You were correct: the material is waterproof and Ricambi thought it might prevent a light rain, but did not want to bear responsibility for it potentially holding up under a heavy rain.
    Time to build a better mousetrap for those of us in Florida who are used to that sudden and unexpected downpour.
    Rob

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #13 PV Dirk, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    Hi Joe,
    I'm also in about the three week camp for past top movement. But, what I do is put the top up in stages. Also I make sure to do it on a warm day in the sun. I bring the top up and almost into position as far as it wants to go without putting any strain on it, then I let it sit in the sun for 20 minutes or so to relax. That rear window has been a concern as well. Also, even if it's a warm day outside but the car has been in a cold garage, that rear window will be very cold. At that point I may just bring the top up half way to where the header bar is pointing upward or where it will stay. Then allow the sun to get in on that window. For a daily up/down I never went through this process, but when it does go up this fall, I will be following this process. Give the window and cloth a chance to relax into their new position. Also, I've learned based on other convertibles owned. I bring the header down evenly, and try to seat the header before using the clamps. I put as little strain on the clamp as possible and use it more like a lock once the top is nearly in position. If it goes well I'll forget to post, if it goes badly, y'all will find out. It has been down for about 6 months now.

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Ahhh......so you are beginning to see the light! :) I never put the top up, except unexpected rain storms and at the one Concours event I attended. But I do plan to buy one of those covers soon. Seems so much easier.

15. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Real tough to drive with that top in place. Instead just leave the top down and keep the speed above 70, parking only under overpasses.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #16 hank sound, Sep 29, 2010
    Hi folks,

You may be interested in this concept. If I had the funding that some politicians have, maybe I would be "preaching to the choir".

Alas, that is not the case since RICAMBI AMERICA, does sing its praises, as do his customers, for ------------------ c'mon, you know - - Spider Top & Berlinetta Shade. Basically, it's called "mom & pop".

Anyway, I'm sick of the heat!!!

Hank

17. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    When I had my Mondial Cab, I used mine all the time. Great for in parking lot @marina, restaurant, office, etc. Pretty easy & quick to use rather than having to put top up. Keeps interior nice & sheltered from sun, sand, dirt, etc.

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to put the top up and not worry about scratching up the paint all over the place???

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Steve,

Nope - - remember, you leave everything in place and just undo the rearward Tenax Snaps of your top boot. It all takes less than one minute.

Cheers, Hank

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Guess that answers my question! I've seen covers like this on MGs, Triumphs, Jag XKEs, but never on a Mondi. Live and learn.

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    To be honest here, the Spider Top was inspired solely by the amount of time it took to stow the boot and put the top up on my Mondial, simply to protect the leather while I would do "this or that" !!! The very first time that I was in a hurry, was when I went "hmmmmm".

Cheers, Hank