275 mph: Pics/In car video from Bonneville #288 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

275 mph: Pics/In car video from Bonneville #288

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BlackHorseRacing, Oct 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Very cool!

2. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Karting

Sep 19, 2008
    Poland
  3. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Great stuff!!!

Thank you for sharing all of this with us. Ferrari engine or not - that is one hella car!!!!

PDG

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Not sure if people missed this but it seems strange no one else commented? Anyway, that whole thing sounds like one heck of an adventure and challenge. Congrats!

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #31 ernie, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Okay is it just me or does this thing not truely qualify as a Ferrari because it's not powered with a Ferrari engine? I was expecting to hear the scream of a Ferrari engine knocking this record out, but instead I heard the roar of an American V8. It just didn't seem right. Not discounting the record, because that is quite an achievement, but If you are gonna say a Ferrari made this record, the car should have done it with a Ferrari engine supplying the propulsion.

At least that's my take on it.

I did like the footage though.

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Agreed, love the car love what you have accomplished but Ferrari she is not, to say you have the fastest Ferrari is misleading. You have a fast Bonneville Flats car with Ferrari body on it, not the Fastest Ferrari in the world. But I think it was just a statement on your part so all good :).

Video is amazing to watch.

8. BlackHorseRacing

Sep 2, 2008
    I too agree with this but as we were going for the AA record in modified sport the minimum engine size is 500 cu in. We could have said the worlds fastest Chevy but the Chevy guys would give us a hard time. Seriously we just liked having a car there that was recognizable for what is was (a rarity in these classes). Short wheelbase cars that can go this fast are discouraged there and we would not be allowed to return without major modifications. This car will now just become part of the owner/drivers collection including "real Ferraris".
    Hopefully we can return next year with a Norwood tuned 308 and maybe get to 180+mph.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #34 ernie, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    Or why not be REALLY nuts , and pull Bob's supercharged V12 out of the Funny Car, and the shoe horn it into the 288. That should have PLENTY of balls to get you down the lake of Margarita salt at record speed. :D Besides, it wouldn't be the first time someone had the crazy idea to squeeze a square block into a round hole. You can read the insanity in this thread. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170171 I miss Mark's crazy ass. Anyhoooooo....... Put Bob's old pin wheel powered V12 in that sucker and send it down the salt. What a spectical that would be.

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Great job and cool video. I do have a question which is , how well does the AC work at those speeds.

11. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I don't really care what engine it has, though all Ferrari would have been best, that was awesome and a great video.

12. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I must have missed this entirely... What happened to Mark? If you would rather discuss it privately (it can be brief) could you PM me?

I too agree about the things Ernie brought up. However that is still one monster of a motor/car and you guys should be very proud of what you achieved!

13. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Repost. Also the car is not a GTO it is a 308.

14. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    The Norwood car has been around a long time. Not much left of a 308. But she is damn fast.

Darrell.

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Totally insane, I love it!

Congrats!

16. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    No one would drive a real Ferrari on salt!!!

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh I wouldn't be so sure of that.

The car is a real Ferrari chassis, but as explained by BlackHorseRacing, they needed to use a big block in order to qualify for the AA class.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    N.A.R.T. drove their 512S on the salt.

RL drove his MM Enzo there.

19. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    At least the dashboard :)

Congrats on the record, what a beast!
    My 308 and I competed yesterday in the exact opposite of this run... auto-x'ing.
    ~200hp was enough for me :)

Is the driver shifting (with a level or button) every time he takes his right hand off the wheel?

20. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    +1

21. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #47 ernie, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    It a CO2 pneumatic shifter. Pretty impressive if I do say so. First time I've ever heard of those before. How does it work? Beats me??? BlackHorseRacing will be able to answer that question.

22. BlackHorseRacing

Sep 2, 2008
    #48 BlackHorseRacing, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll try; it’s a B&J automatic transmission that has 3 sections or ratios that are engaged by a solenoid operated by compressed CO2. There are three plungers that accomplish this and at the same time have a secondary switch that tells the MOTEC what gear the car is in to adjust the boost accordingly. The ratios are the same so they could be engaged forward to back or back to forward to add up to the final ratio. It also includes a sprag clutch that allows us to push the car to a speed of about 40 mph before starting (since there is no actual clutch). I believe it is used in every shiftable section to force the gearset to make ratio by preventing the sun gear from rotating in one direction. When this same section is shifted the sprag then allows the sun gear to rotate in the same direction as the crankshaft.

Sprag
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. NavedAnabolic

NavedAnabolic Rookie

Oct 26, 2010
    I think Bonneville #288 "on steroids" means? it is becoming more aggressive, more hostile, or bulking up muscles at the expense of general health? This terminology has always felt wildly appropriate and good to me for years, yet otherwise intelligent writers continue to use it as a crutch Buy Steroids
    Buy Anabolic

24. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Thanks for the info, very interesting.
    How is the shifting accomplished by the driver? It's hard to tell in the video, but looks like the driver is making some rather 'determined' hand movements like he's banging on a (large) button?