RIP Paul Dehnert 1943-2010 | FerrariChat

RIP Paul Dehnert 1943-2010

Discussion in 'Texas' started by TexasMike, Aug 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #1 TexasMike, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A friend of mine & a fellow car enthusiast, Paul Dehnert, passed away on August 7, 2010. I might not have known him as well as some other members of the club but I have a lot of good memories of the times we spent together at Ferrari events. He was very passionate about any type of car or motorcycle and his personality was as cool as they come. I definitely admired his eclectic collection and the way he lived his life. I don't know much about Corvettes but just about everything that I do know, I learned from him. In 2007 when we were at the Keels & Wheels event he taught me about a bunch of different cars that I didn't know anything about.

I never saw his whole collection so I don't know the exact number of cars that he had but the numbers I've heard were about 30 cars & 20 motorcycles. I always thought it was really neat that he kept 10 motorcycles in his living room. :)

We had a service for him today & I took a few photos of the cars in front of the church. I thought it was cool to have three ZR1's. The red one in front is Paul's ZR1.

God bless you Paul. RIP my friend...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    RIP.

My condolences go out to his friends and family.

3. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That Daytona is gorgeous.

4. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Tona is super nice...

Great tribute Mike, he will be missed.

5. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I *believe* I may have met him at the Austin Italian Festival held @ Laguna Gloria. If so, he was quite the nice, pleasant type to converse w/. I wish all the bests to the family.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for sharing.

It's certainly a loss to the car community. I'm sure he would have been pleased with the nice exotics that attended his wake.

Life is short, and shorter for many. Enjoy today~

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rest in Peace.....very sorry to hear.

I like the motorcycles in the living room, too!!!

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    He certainly knew how to live quite a life. R.I.P.

9. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    His wife must have been amazing to allow all those bikes in the LR! :)

RIP.

Nice tribute, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

10. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Thanx for sharing the photos, Mike. I didn't know Paul well, but have fond memories of "Garage Mahal" visits to his home. He was always easy-going & eager to share his passion for cars/bikes. Condolences to the Dehnert family.

11. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Yes, he was there at least one year with his Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello.

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #15 TexasMike, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    She is a great lady & she had the cars she wanted also. The white Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series 1 that was originally owned by James Garner, was technically her car. It's probably still my favorite vintage GT 2+2 car that I've personally seen. I just love the color inside & out and the lines are beautiful.

13. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #16 TexasMike, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. MikeDehnert

MikeDehnert Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    We really appreciate the wonderful pictures and kind remembrances of my Dad, Paul Dehnert. Thank you all - he truly had great friends.

Best Regards,
    Mickey

Mike Dehnert

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Mike, I personally did not know your father, but from this thread, he seems like such a great man.

Sorry for your loss :(

PS. Welcome to FerrariChat!

16. dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2009
    Thanks for posting this and the pics. It looks like Paul lived life fully ---- still at 67 it's tragic

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Mike,

You gave a great "speech" at the service. Your father was a great man & I'm glad to have had the chance to know him. I knew your father better than I knew some of the other club members. I would call him and ask questions about one of his cars & he always seemed happy to answer any questions I had. When I was actually crazy enough to think about buying a Smart car he let me drive his around to see if I liked it. :) Your father, Bill & I spent about 5 hours together walking around the Lakewood Yacht Club, looking at cars during the Keels & Wheels Concours in 2007. While we were there he pointed out a lot of cars that didn't look very important to me but he explained why they were so rare & valuable. We also ran into a gentleman that owned a car museum somewhere in Texas. It turns out that he had bought several Cadillacs from Paul to add to his museum. That's when I realized the caliber of cars your father had.

We had no idea that he was sick at all... we just thought he was living it up in California. It was a huge shock to most of us here in Austin. We shared the same passion for cars which pretty much made us instant friends. After being around him and him teaching me about cars, he made me more passionate about cars then I already was. Paul had an impact on me & made my life better.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself after the service.. I had to head off to work.

Best regards,

Michael Chatham

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    very nice tribute Mike. He and Vicky were very nice during one of the Ferrari Club garage tours from several years back. My condolences to the family.

19. MikeDehnert

MikeDehnert Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    I really enjoy hearing the experiences and memories you had with my Dad... he truly enjoyed life and his "car family" was extremely important to him. If any of you are in Melbourne, Australia - please look me up. There is another "Michael Dehnert" in Melbourne, believe it or not, a real estate agent... so email is probably the best way to reach me. Would love to hear more of these stories from the road. And, as you can see, I've signed up to FerrariChat and the Corvette Club forum so you'll likely see me on here now and again. Got to keep that Dehnert car enthusiasm going forward! Best Regards, Mike [email protected]

20. Buggin

Buggin Karting

Dec 8, 2006
    Farmersville, TX
    Full Name:
    die langsame
    Took the words out of my mouth.

I am sorry that I was unable to get to meet him.
    He seemed to have touched most of you, in some way.

I am sorry for his family, yet glad they were with him, I grieve for his cars, and pray that they are allowed to find new homes in loving garages.

R.I.P. No speed limits up there. Have fun.