WRX, GTI or Mazdaspeed3? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WRX, GTI or Mazdaspeed3?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SSNISTR, Aug 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which one?

1. WRX

2. GTI

3. MS3

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My MS3 stayed stock, minus a K&N filter. In the 2 years and 27K that I had it, all I ever had to do was change the oil, and replace the front tires (Baltimore pot holes after last year's crazy winter destroyed them).

I looked at the 08 WRX when I bought my car and wasn't a huge fan. I thought the interior of the MS3 was much nicer. You also got a lot more options for the money. I understand the WRX has changed some since the 08 model I looked at.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well the '11s with the Brembo package are a different animal. They are getting VERY good reviews and being compared to the M3.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I went through the same decision looking for a new daiky driver to replace my e60 M5 about 2 years ago. I went with a MS3 GT. However, I wish I would had went with a GTI. While the MS3 was faster, the GTI rides better and the interior is much nicer than the MS3. I now drive an S5 Cabriolet.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    What about GTI reliability? I have been reading ALOT of negative feedback regarding this. The WRX and especially the MS3 are getting much better reviews regarding this.

Any feeback?

5. Fenivision

Fenivision Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    I think the reliability issues are limited to the MKIV generation. The MKV and VI GTI's are built in Germany, unlike the "normal" Rabbits.

I bought my GTI new in '08 and have put roughly 35k on it now and it has never had an issue. Not once. Also about the tire wear mentioned above: I got 25k out of my Continentals (summer tires) and I was even at the track. With that mileage it cost me about a grand a year to run. (Includes tires)

I would really recommend the GTI out of the three - it has the best interior out of the three and is not as flashy as the other ones. Yes, the other two cars are faster but they don't feel as premium inside as the GTI. Even my '04 325i didn't feel as premium as the GTI.

There's probably a reason why the GTI ends up in most of the best of lists in the car magazines.

Good luck with your purchase.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    #31 Scotty, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Drove an '11. Brakes (non Brembos)-great. Steering-very good. Cornering was good, but acceleration squat and brake dive is bad. Feels like they use very soft bushings, but very stiff shocks.

Everyone's different, but I couldn't buy this and not instantly do something to the suspension. I am trying to get my name on the list for a Boss 302 version--sounds like that suspension is significantly more tuned.

7. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    AWD understeers yes, but nowhere near like an FWD, plus the AWD will pull you out of corners, FWD spin the inside wheel.

8. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I LOOOOVe my 09 WRX. But it sounds like a GTI is what will fit you best. Better interior by far. It might be more expensive to maintain I don't know.

If you were in a winter climate I would definitely highly recommend the WRX. Can't beat it in the snow. soo much fun.

the new WRX is supposed to be wider too. even better handling. I'd test drive both for sure.

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Stop sniffin' the glue, and check out the Subaru.

"got flat 4; you know the score!"

I check out this video at least once a month.

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Better yet, buy a slightly used R32 with warrenty left over for 25k.

11. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I haven't driven the MazdaSpeed version of the 3, but the base model is nearly undrivable.
    The throttle is extremely aggressive, way too eager to accelerate, there is no controlling it.
    The clutch may as well be from a video game, it gives very little feedback or feel.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not a bad idea, so long as you sell it before the warranty expires.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #38 SSNISTR, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    Well I drove all three yesterday and today.

The GTI is out. Not enough power, and even though the interior is very nice I just can't get past that. Plus the clutch is horrible. But it does look nice with the 18" wheels.

The WRX is nice. I drove a '10, not a '11, but the only differences are really cosmetic. The car makes real good power for a 4 and would more then satisfy my daily driver needs. I like the lack of any torque steer too. The interior is my least favorite overall though. I like it the best, BUT they will not really deal at all on the 11's and that makes it thousands more then a MS3.

The Mazdaspeed 3 was the biggest surprise. I was expected wicked torque steer being being that my weekend car is RWD, and I am not used to a powerful FWD car. But it was not that bad at all. It was pretty quick too for a little 4. Nice power in 2nd and 3rd. The clutch was the best of the three. The shifter the worst, but I read that is easily fixed. I like the steering wheel the best, and it has cool gauges and lighting too. Also is the cheapest by about 3 grand and they will give me a 6 free Mobil 1 oil changes and tint the windows.

So I am gonna make a choice in the near future.

As of now I like them:
    1-WRX
    2-MS3
    3-GTI

But considering cost it is:
    1-MS3
    2-WRX
    3-GTI

14. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How about a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution?

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I'd love one, but more then I wanna spend on a daily driver. I wanna keep it around 25K new.

16. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    A used Evo 9, still has great performance, and readily available parts for tuning.

17. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Most Subaru dealers will give you free oil changes as long as you keep to the scheduled maintenance

18. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #43 JDZNate, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You might be able to find a slightly used Evo X for that price. Of course I might be a bit biased.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    VW reliability is awful and the dealers suck.

20. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    As I said in my first post, I want a new car with a full warranty since this is my DD.
    I'd never buy a used Evo anyway. Most have probably been beat to sh*t.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Try Costo Auto for a Subaru referral. I got my '04 new through Costco for invoice which at the time was about $24,300 with a spoiler and alarm (sticker was about $26,600?).

22. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Ah sorry, missed that part.

23. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Hum, that is a new one. I will check it out. Thanks.

24. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Get the WRX :D

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well I bought a black mica '10 Mazdaspeed3 the other day. I drove all three again, the WRX is still my favorite, but being I have a weekend toy, I couldn't justify the extra cost. The GTI is just down on power and I read way to many horror stories. I got a GREAT deal on the MS3 and I like it alot. Makes for a fun daily driver.

Thanks for all the input.