Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1 | FerrariChat

Recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Bill_OBrien, Apr 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    I know the recreation of Sharknose Ferrari 156 F1 has been mentioned on the forum but I could not find a post devoted to it. I think this is a project that would be considered to be of enough interest to have it's own post.

The recreation is being undertaken by a fellow forum member. here is a link to his website:

http://www.sharknose.net/

The 'News' section has all of the updates on the project.

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I started a thread about it in 2005, but it was incorporated into the "replicas" thread starting at post #76. Jan Biekens even dropped in to say hi. . . .

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G,day ,I know I,m well out of line but what did Chris Rea do about 10 years ago.I beleive he REPLICATED a 156.Can I be educated in the difference from the above.Is an original chassis being used.

4. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #4 Bill_OBrien, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
    It is a question of semantics but in my way of thinking, you make a replica of a car that exists. A re-creation is built of a car that no longer exists as is the case with the Ferrari 156. I belive all originals were destroyed by the factory.

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Didn,t Chris Rea do this about 10 years ago? I,m with you Bill ,but if an a cashed up enthusiast REPLICATES/REPLICATES to the inth degree,(as Chris did)does,nt this account for something.Mind you an original chassis/body /engine would help

6. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    IMO, Rea's car was an "evocation" using a 2 litre Dino production engine, etc.

The "sharknose" guys aappear to be making what we would call a "toolmaker's copy", using a pukka engine and exact components (carbs, etc.) that were used by the factory in early '61.

Phil Hill got to putt around in Rea's car, and enjoyed it, but the Sharknose would appear to be on an entirely different level. I'm just sorry that Phil, Richie, Olivier, etc. will miss it.

7. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #7 Jan Biekens, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Bryan,
    Everything ok ? What a beautiful job was done on the Mondial. Please give regards to your father.
    How time flies. Since ten years when I started to collect pictures on the sharknose a lot happened as you can read on www.sharknose.net
    To make it short, never I expected that we would find so many original parts of the car, with a lot of help of enthusiastic collectors, experts etc. And maybe with a lot of luck. We call it a recreation. With an original engine, transaxle and a lot of other original parts I’m anxious to hear the engine on the dyno and even more to drive it. How would I have liked that Olivier, Hill, von Trips, Richie and the others could have seen it. But maybe it should be like this. It was that race period and the drivers I admire so much.
    I was never a “replica guy” and I will never be. I hate that beautiful Lusso’s are destroyed to make 250 GT’s out of it. We don’t destroy cars to make an other one.
    We recreate with as many original parts as we can find. We recreate written history. Mike has become the world’s expert on the Sharknose #0002. We discovered data which was false written in history, even some by purpose we think. It’s a sad feeling to know we have more detailed information on this car than Ferrari Spa. and still that Ferrari Spa. might have data we don’t have. It’s sad that they won’t share. They should be proud that we are doing this job. We built a car with original engine, transaxle etc. and there is a discussion about recreation or replica. If we would have 60 cm of the original tube with the chassis number on it and built it with a new engine etc. it’s called an original, as this is how cars are called original: by their chassis. I prefer the original engine and I think Enzo would have agreed with me. The project is steadily going on and we hope to have the job done by the end of the year.
    A professional movie is made of the project from the start and maybe a book will follow but the ultimate moment will be when the car will be taken out on Waterberry Drive at Waterlooville at maybe 6:00 PM surrounded with all the employees of Jim Stokes Workshops and I hope I’ll be present as I was with one of the D50’s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's the chassis that wins the race as it holds everything together and gives the driver somewhere to sit, the engine just pushes it along :).

Pete

9. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    #9 Doug Nye, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Absolutely correct. Individual car identities are embodied within the frame, NOT within the eminently consumable assembly of rotating and reciprocating components which power it. However, I am also intensely proud of having been involved with the reincarnation of a number of wonderful but long-lost racing cars which have been replicated around surviving contemporary engines and gearboxes... Jan's project is wonderful. But the end product will not be - and cannot ever be - a genuine 1961 Ferrari 156.

DCN

10. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    I think it is an interesting situation that there are no genuine Sharknose Ferrari's in existance. In my way of thinking a 'replica' would be of a car that currently exists.

True that this car can never be an original Sharknose Ferrari but neither can any other car...... never going to park next to an original at a car show!

Unless there is a 156 chassis sitting in a Modena scrapyard! And if there was, I think Mario Righini would have his hands on it.....

11. Monoposto

Monoposto Karting

Aug 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Call it a replica/recreation/whatever, that's just fiddling with words. The "finished product" will be in the same category as the beautiful Lancia D24's & D50's that were recreated around original engines and as much as possible other original parts.

What a sight to see these cars at Goodwood or in Monaco.

You just gotta love the craftmanship and determination to finish a project like this. It's sad that Ferrari doesn't see that. They just see money. What about their 125s showcar...? Or what about the duplicate engines being built by Classiche, while the originals are still around? Ooh sorry, it's me who's wrong. If Ferrari does it, it's "original".

It's a blessing that enthusiasts will again be able to see an as-close-to-original-as-possible Sharknose blast through Eau-Rouge!
    No original cars have been slaughtered to make them look like something else. No other (economic) damage will be suffered; perhaps just the owner's wallet.

My compliments to the owner and to the team that's turning this dream into reality.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #12 wbaeumer, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    the ACM didn`t accept the recreated Lancia D50`s last year! I assume that this great project will never see the streets of Monaco. And that`s a real pitty!

Ciao!
    Walter

13. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #13 Jan Biekens, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Walter,

Your right, also our #0002R (we will never claim that it is original) will not race at Monaco but -- it will appear in a lot of other races. Why it will be there I only can explain when the project is finished sorry !! Next weekend I hope to update www.sharknose.net with our last work. To give you some preview herewith just another picture taken by my good friend Dan Setford who is working now together with Mike on the engine. Dan is my mechanic and soul mate in racing and thanks to him we won the Fia Lurani in our class in 2006.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    And here we see the beauty and reach of Fchat. A thread gets started and then it travels the internets ; ) around the world only to end up on the doorstep of the man responsible for the subject.

I wish you success on your long journey to bringing back a legend that would have sailed into history and memory as a bunch of faded picture, thoughts and grainy footage. I hope one day to see and hear the legend roar again.

regards

ken

15. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    #15 Jan Biekens, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    Hi Doug,
    You know we wil never claim it to be a genuine, not for 100 %, not for 50 % or whatever figure you can put on it. It's the skill,the workmanship, the research and all the help from experts like you which makes it so exiting. And you know how greatfull we are for your expertise and how important your input for the project has been and Doug it's not finished yet. You'll have to meet Jochen again !!
    Cheers and all the best to you,

Jan

16. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    August 18 2010 Home at last !
    Almost one year after Goodwood and more than six years after the start of the project the yellow Ferrari returned home. Everyone who was present on this rainy morning , so typical for Francorchamps, sensed the historical moment when the idyllic Ardennes were roughly disturbed by the roaring sound of the Sharknose taking the slightly banked downhill left hander towards Burnenville following up his way to Masta and taking the “Stavelot” corner disappearing towards Blanchimont.
    Not only we drove on the old circuit to make a long wish come true but also to take the last shots for our film about the recreation of the Sharknose.
    Jochen made a trailer from the shooting of the day.
    For those who like to share a bit this day, I’ve put the trailer on YouTube.
    As of commitments to Ferrari Spa. I will only have it there for a short period.
    Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharknose+recreation&aq=f

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very, Very, Cool!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

18. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Great video. Can't wait to see more.

George

19. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Jan, many thanks for posting.I remember speaking with Jim Stokes at Race Retro some years back, when the car was taking shape...many congrats to all concerned.

Ed

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Jan,
    nicely filmed! Great! A wonderful project and my congratulations for the fantastic result! Goodwood Revival this year?

Ciao!
    Walter

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    holy cow, Jan, that is fantastic!

by the way, have you heard that 0536 is on the market?

22. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Hi Bryan,

No I didn't. I know that they put on the old body and I saw some time ago a picture in a magazine where the car was at the Ferrari Classic department.
    Regards to your father.

23. Jan Biekens

Jan Biekens Karting

Jan 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jan Biekens
    Hi Walter,

Yes if my back allows it (had an operation 5 weeks ago) I'll drive at Goodwood Revival and one week later at Spa.

24. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    My wife and I were fortunate enough to be at Goodwood last year.

This car is magnificent!!!

Jan, thank you for doing this.

Jack

ps - If you have not been to the Goodwood Revival it is a must for your bucket list. I hope to get back one day.

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    FANTASTIC! I want one....
    Congratulations, Alberto