I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

I turned the key & my $$$ flashed before my eyes.......!!!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kerrywittig, Apr 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn

I want one! That would be cool on my desk. Let me know if you're really serious and where/how you want payment!

2. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I am absolutely serious!! It may be a couple weeks until I have the old ones in hand when I return home from this business trip...........

One mans junk, is another mans treasure ME

3. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ok I want one for my son... can I order a NON-bent one? (When you get back)

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    goes well with your title... "$$$ flashed before my eyes"

go for it!

FCar sells the used F1 valves for insane money - - -
    this is a chance for an enterprising F-Chatter to do the same!

heck, glue 'em on a piece of wood and double the price!

best luck!
    Vincenzo

5. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    Western NC
    Full Name:
    Ted Bell
    Sign me up for a straight one! Glad to contribute to your rebuild fund. Let me know how you would like the money sent.

Thanks,
    Ted

6. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    What the hell, I will take one for $12.

PM for address and where you want your money.

Thanks, Hans.

7. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Kerry,
    I'm in for one since I went through this also...and we talked about it over beer and wine last winter.
    What's the cost to Canada?

8. DaveB

DaveB Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    ooohh,,, I might be interested in one or two. Is there a discount for multiples? Possibly a bent one would be cool.

Thanks,
    Dave

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I'm curious....you're replacing all the valve guides but not all the valves? What's up with the other 12 valves --- did they measure in spec?

10. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Kerry....put me down for a straight one....

11. stevieh46360

stevieh46360 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006
    Michigan City, IN
    Full Name:
    Steve Hough
    I want one too please!

12. Triton

Triton Karting

May 17, 2009
    Boston - Metro West
    Full Name:
    Paul M
    Kerry,

Put me in for 2, while the supplies last!
    One straight one and one bent one will make great conversation pieces on my desk. I am all too happy to support your rebuild and get you back out on the road.

PM me with the details

Paul

13. Triton

Triton Karting

May 17, 2009
    Boston - Metro West
    Full Name:
    Paul M
    By the way...if you have a couple of working Cat Temp ECU's for $12 bucks a piece, it will take those too!
    Mine only work when they fell like it.

14. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I just got sent to Alabama for a few days and then Boston...........so.......it may be a couple of weeks before I get my hands on the valves.............Thanks to all for supporting Jerry's Kids, I mean Kerry's Kids, I mean Kerry's TR that makes him feel like a Kid!!

On bended knee Me

15. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    This TR had 12 valves and 12 guides replaced in 2001 I believe(I have the invoice on file at home) So it appears that my machinist has noticed that there are "problems" and I want to address any and all as long as the heads are sitting on the bench.

Got valve guides? Me

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    If you're going to be in central Alabama (near Montgomery), bring a handful of valves for me. We can talk cars and I'll force you to go to lunch, make you ride in a TR, that kind of thing.

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Geez.... That almost makes having to visit Alabama tolerable :):):)

18. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #168 kerrywittig, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Update.....................Well sorta............$6K in valves, guides, valve seals and machining............another $750 for an complete engine gasket and seal set (not bad)............$175 to get the flywheel, pressure plate and intermediate plate machined, along with relining the clutches................$300 for new pilot and cam shaft bearings & belts.........rebuild Konis front and rear $750...............media-blast & powder coat sub-frame and rear suspension...$130.............................still need to get new hoses from David Helm ?$1000?...........$200 to fill holes in rear bumpe and repaintr (removing USA lump)..............possibly remove and smooth front and rear side markers $150..............remove strakes and fill holes in door panels $50 & repaint....................wrap entire car in matte black $875..............drive ,drive, drive,.............but first I need to get home and off tour to do so before I forget how it all goes back together!!!!!!

Note: Out on tour with a British client that has a 550, 360 Spyder, and a 612 Scaglietti...........so I can converse to a point of saying, "I can't afford those F cars!"......Response, "Wow you have a Testarossa, you lucky bastard!"........is he being complimentary or sarcastic?

Oh yeah.....I have a box of bent and straight valves to share at $12 per valve.........keep those post cards and letters with requests coming.......I just need to get back home to package and ship!!!

Got bent valves? Kerry

19. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #169 kerrywittig, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Well I got a chance to stop by David Helm's shop, Scuderia Rampante Ferrari, in Boulder, CO.. Kris, Dave's wife put together a whole complete hose kit (fuel/water/emmissions/etc.) for my TR. That was great but..............spent about 2 hours with Dave just lookin' around his shop...wow, what a collection of great cars, drivetrains, memorabilia, and just wonderful stories, adventures, and insights about the cars that Enzo built. Dave has no nose in the air, my sh*t doesn't stink kind of attitude.....just loves these cars and likes to meet people that have the same passion............as long as it's between the hours of 8-5, Monday thru Friday!!.......LOl....and "inside" joke......

But anyway I now have ALL better than new plumbing for the TR and even though a bit pricey......You get what you pay for and I just added resale value to my car if and when I decide to sell it that I am confident will hold it's value and maybe even more.

Thanks Dave and Kris for your hospitality........and the ride back to my hotel............and no it wasn't in an F car as I anticipated...........but hey, door to door service, I can't complain.

I got hosed ME

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    yeah Dave Helms is a class act. Good person and seems to have some really great stuff for the TR!

21. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Any photos of his garage?

22. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    The pix on his site are pretty much what it is...............F cars and related parts and drivetrains abound.

Go here http://www.****************.com/

Ain't got an image ME

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Hey Kerry, just wondering what your solution is for the leaking seal on the crank....which started the whole problem.

Since Carguy redid the seals a few times and found a "nick" to be the culprit, what do you think you will do?

BTW, great thread....post lots of pictures. It's rare to see TR internals...beyond the cam covers off.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

24. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #174 kerrywittig, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Over this past week I have started to put the engine back together and here is what I used and how I accomplished "refinishing" the crankshaft......

1. I cleaned the seal surface very well with brake cleaner.
    2. I applied Permatex Aviation Sealer (see pix below) to the inside of the
    Speedi-Sleeve (see pix below) as well as the surface of the crankshaft.
    3. Because the installation tube that is supplied with the Sleeve is not deep enough to extend the length of the crankshaft, I took an 8 inch long peice of 2 3/4 inch diameter schedule 40 PVC tubing, smoothed one end so it had no sharp edges on the ID of the tube. I then slowlly and with great care drove the sleeve onto the crankshaft. Now when I had driven it on as far as was allowed I removed the surface that I had hammered on and just like opening a canned ham tore that part of the sleeve away, which is the normal procedure (all of which is pictured and explained in the instruction sheet that accompanies the sleeve).

But....

When at this point you now have a gap of about a 1/16th of an inch to the back edge of the seal contact area on the crank and exactly the same over-hanging the front edge of the seal area! What to do?

4. I then place both of the convex washers that seperate the cam sprockets up against that edge of the sleeve that was yet to be "supported" or completely pushed on over the area where the front seal will ride/live. Next I slid into place the two cam belt drive sprokets, then the harmonic balancer and pulleys. lastly I spun the bolt into the end of the crank that secures everything.
    5. I then, using a 1/2 inch drive ratchet with a 35 mm socket very slowly started to tighten the bolt, which slowly but surely pushed the sleeve into place......perfectly. I can not stress enough have delicate these sleeves are and that they can EASILY be warped/bent/wrinkled if one does not take their time and the use of the non-hardening aviation sealant as a "lubricant" as well as a sealer that will secure the sleeve into place is critical.
    6. Done!

Anyway that's it.............see pix below!

Sometimes delicate ME
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #175 kerrywittig, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few "comparison" pix of a lower cost rear main seal from SKF via NAPA. In the pix the black seal is the Ferrari part.

This fits: Testarossa, 365 GT4 BB, 412, 512 BB, 512TR & F512M

Desription/Differences:
    SKF: Part# 39120
    Outside Dia.------120mm
    Inside Dia.-------100mm
    Thickness/depth--13mm
    Cost------------$10.81

Ferrari: Part# was 10014, new# 138391
    OD:-----------120mm
    ID:------------100
    Thickness-----12mm
    Cost:--------$126.75