How often to change 328's timing belts? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How often to change 328's timing belts?

Discussion in '308/328' started by nugget, Aug 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Really!?!

Wow!!!

Tell me more about this. I knew it was possible for some Ferrari V8 but for my 3,2 I believed they did not made such belts?

Which belt is used?

Regards.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #77 GrigioGuy, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The 3.0 and 3.2 set are not the same due to differences in the lower drive pullies. I had to buy an extra drive pully and send it to Scott so he could make the 3.2 variant.

You may want to contact him to see if there are still sets available: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=6520

I have not yet installed these.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rickyrybo

rickyrybo Rookie

Feb 4, 2009
    Bellport, NY
    Full Name:
    Rick
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Those are the ones created by Scott.

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    NEVER!

It is an all-too-common misconception that timing belts on Ferrari V8's have to be changed. The belts are actually good for the life of the car --- Ferrari states this clearly on page 299 of your owner's manual ;)

6. 246dreamer

246dreamer Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Riverton New Zealand
    Full Name:
    David
    That's very useful information but, as a newbie to the Forum and a non-US resident, I have no way of knowing which of the many posters have the above mentioned qualifications!

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Perhaps I missed that part in the WSMs. I have virtually all of them for the 8 and 12 cylinder cars and can't say that I recall reading the part about clamping the camshafts with vice grips, for the purpose of changing the timing belts...

What section/page/WSM mentions this?

Thanks!

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #83 CliffBeer, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David, I think it's actually 2" Chinese clamps that are spec'd in the WSM.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have a totally unsubstantiated belief that idle is much harder on cambelts than 5k rpm. I'm sure that the inertia of the cam at 5k doesn't allow the cam springs to give the belt nearly as much grief than at idle. I always chuckle when people mention trying to keep the revs low because the belts are getting old.

11. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Well, I'll be....#$%*^. I do recall reading about holding the cams with vice grips (even remember a picture somewhere) to "secure the locking bolt", but I really thought you were pullin' our legs on this one. Those crafty Italians!

Best,
    David

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My comment was not in any way directed towards you. Its more to the nature of these threads in general.

Sorry for not making that clear.

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #88 finnerty, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Bear with us, NUGGET and 246DREAMER --- no offense to you intended :) It's just that this topic has been beaten to death (and then some) here on F-chat.

So, some of us who are veterans on the issue will like to humour ourselves by volleying a few quips ;)

For your edification though, if you do a search of the forum for the topic, I assure you that you will find a veritable plethora of comments (and some sound information as well :)) on the topic.

Probably enough to keep you busy reading for hours --- and hopefully enough to give you the information you need to make your own call ---- when you read through the info, you'll understand why I said "make your own call" rather than "find the answer".

Cheers