Can anyone identify these items? | FerrariChat

Can anyone identify these items?

Discussion in '206/246' started by HMB-Dino, Aug 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #1 HMB-Dino, Aug 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm seriously looking at a GT but before I travel to check out the car in person, can anyone identify this red canister in the trunk of the car?

Separately, same question applies to these red items behind the driver's seat. (2nd attachment).

Take your best shot!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    first pic I would guess some kind of fire suppression system, good idea if you are going to drive these wonderful old toys.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Looks like a Halon Fire suppression system(non evasive to install) and electrical shutoff. Would not be put off by these items if its a good car.

Freeman

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    If that's what it is, would it be there for using the car on the track? The prior owner was into racing their classic cars. Not so sure I'd want a track car, even if it's been significantly redone.

5. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #5 alhbln, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1, but my guess would be an AFFF fire suppression system, as Halon was banned in the nineties. So the car might have been used on the track and in club races, it is mandatory in some clubs to have such a system.

6. andy246GT

andy246GT Rookie

Feb 1, 2008
    Birmingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy E.
    I wouldn't be put off at all if its otherwise a good car. The absence of a roll cage is a good indicator that it has not been raced. Perhaps its been put into touring events where a electial shut off and fire extinguisher were mandatory and the owner thought he would install them properly. The fact that they appear to have been installed reasonably sympathetically is a good sign.

I suspect that the fire extinguisher was a precation to protect this valuable car, and the electrical cut off was to maintain the battery when not in use. I've thought about installing a cut off on mine.

Andy

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I guess a big concern of mine would be if the car were ever shown, would it be a huge negative?

Also, since I've never seen this in the small # of Dino's I've come across in my search for one to purchase, could the presence of these items negatively impact resale value of the car since it certainly falls outside of the authenticity arena?

8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    If the fire system is Halon, that's a good thing. While Halon is no longer being produced due to its environment impact, it is still legal to have a Halon system in North America. Halon is great because it extinguishes without any residue. Fire system companies in the USA will continue to fill Halon systems until their supplies run out but I've had a bottle filled as recently as last year (~$150) with no problems.

Cheers...Keith

9. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    have one for sale in the coming year in san mateo, if you have interest
    clay

10. original

original Rookie

Nov 4, 2009
    Are you sure that you would want this in a car? I could be wrong, but I thought they were very dangerous in an enclosed area. I thought the chemical removes the oxygen from the air. People have died becuase they cant breathe after discharge. Basically it can suck the oxygen right from your lungs and you asphyxiate. I've seen them on engine compartments on boats and aircraft, but I am not sure I'd want to be driving around with one.

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'm told by the seller that the tank is easily removable. But I'm not so sure about the switches behind the driver's seat...that is, w/o repair work so it looks like they were never there.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Experts chime in, but my understanding is fire suppression systems will not take off any points. Ditto upgrade seatbelts.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #13 BigTex, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Those are operational switches in the passenger compartment, I'm sure the dump nozzles are on the engine...

You are correct it would displace the oxygen.....

This means a timid guy drove this car, afraid of death.....he probably shifted early and never hit the redline........all positive things!!!

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Actually, the prior owners weren't timid at all...they raced numerous classic Ferrari's (they have/had a large collection). I just don't know if this Dino was ever tracked, or if it was, how much.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was joking....

Lots of folks put fire systems into street cars.

16. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Its a Ferrari, Ferrari's are not afraid of the track.

Properly maintained and taken care of, there should be NO issues with a car that has been tracked or not. I can tell you my Dino sees the red line regularly, I never drive it without a few romps into the higher revs AFTER it is all warmed up but I have never tracked it. The previous owner made many modifications to the engine (mostly distributor) and the engine would not idle below 4,000 RPM when I purchased it due to the highly modified advance curve, motor still takes me to work and runs all over S. Calif. just fine. Yet imagine how scary it was to me to buy a car whose dead cold engine required lots of cranking and then idled at 4,000RPM and the owner bragged that with the new advance curve the motor now revved to 10k with no issues. Absolutely abused and never tracked.

As to the fire system, I would not drive one of these cars without some fire system. I have considered a canister like that and would like one but instead I have 2 fire extinguishers, a small one in the passenger area and a larger one in the trunk.

Now for shows, I don't know the rules as I drive my car way too much to show it anywhere, shows are generally done on nice days and I don't like parking it on nice days. But I believe as has been posted already that you do not get hurt for safety items. For resale value, to people like you it might hurt the resale value, to people like me, it would help it (DONT be offended to the "like you" comment, I don't know you just saying there are 2 types of people, some would prefer it others would not, I see it as who will drive the car more).

17. 246dreamer

246dreamer Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Riverton New Zealand
    Full Name:
    David
    How about asking them? just my 2c :)

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Having a plumbed-in fire-suppression system would be a big plus for me. There was a discussion some time ago, and the conclusion I drew from that was that a system such as this one, discharging into the engine and electrically controlled is the way to go.

If that is still Halon (legal for sale in the US but not anywhere else), that would be a big plus too. Halon is clean, unlike dry powder systems. I think AFF is easier to clean off.

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Car was owned by same couple for 20 yrs on east coast, then went to a well known classic car dealer on east coast earlier this year and is now with another dealer on west coast, so the owners that put this system in are not the current `owners'.

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I can't see this item devaluing the Dino. If I was in the market for this car, I wouldn't be put off by it. It is different and it is not factory, but it is a nice safety device to have.

I am curious as to why it was located in the rear sail panel (painted visual metal) and not in the firewall above the releases (or somewhere else more easily and cheaply corrected/removed).

The restoring party is someone well know in the Ferrari community and although they do race cars, they typically race (if you want to call it that - I would say let the car perform for the benefit of others enjoyment) older historical race cars.

I have no interest in the sale of this car financially. Just my 2 cents...

Maybe painting the switches yellow could make them less visable...