Front license plate? | FerrariChat

Front license plate?

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Jul 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Fellow Dino Owners,

I don't think I've ever seen a Dino with front plates. But I noticed a thread from 2006 that says there's a factory front plate bracket. The reason I bring this up is I got a ticket for not having a front plate. Isn't there some exceptions for classic cars in California? How do I fight this ticket?

Thanks for any info,

Manny

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I don't know about California, but in NY a front plate is mandatory, with no exceptions. That being said, I don't think that I've ever seen a NY-registered Ferrari with a front plate. I've been driving my two Dinos, one for 34 years and the other for 27 years, without front plates. I got stopped once, as a radar cop was closing up shop on a city street for lack of speeders. You'll usually only get stopped in this type of circumstance, as the front is so low, an oncoming police officer won't usually notice that the plate is missing. My advice is pay the fine, without argument, and keep driving without the front plate. I used to have the factory bracket for one of my Dinos, but misplaced it years ago. It looked like a mounting bracket for a period Italian front plate, which was very small and would have fit under the grille, on the front pan. With any luck, this will be your only such encounter. However, if you are likely to run into the same officer on a regular basis, you may need to source a front bracket, though I can't imagine where. Good luck! Fred

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #3 celestialcoop, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There's a stainless copy of the factory bracket that Fred alluded to...about $60 from Superformance. It can be modified to accept a Cali plate, or the plate can be 'adjusted' to fit.
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-246/fittings.htm

I'm in the process of replicating a Euro holder, but currently have the plate attached beneath the center of the grille, tilted back at the bottom: Perfectly visible from five feet away...or greater. And it's not too objectionable. A rep from the local sheriff's department complimented me on having the front plate; he noticed!
    For the last several years in our area of So Cal, law enforcement officers have been known to frequent some of our car shows and issue tickets to street-driven display vehicles sans front plate. Talk about a captive audience! With the opportunity to fill the coffers with revenue generated by red light cameras (big-time!) and fix-it tickets (not so big-time, but considerable source due to shear numbers), our state seems to have moved the plate issue up the priority list. 'bottom line is...front plates are required in California.
    Hey, many of our friends in other countries actually have 'em on their cars. I understand from some that penalties are severe for not having them. Look at the cars in England...front numbers are displayed on the actual body/nose of the car!
    Check out the "plate clip" that Bob Rohaly (Chairpilot) is marketing for the 3x8s. Perhaps one could be modified to work on our cars?
    http://www.chairpilotproducts.com/

I've attached pictures of what appears to be an original holder (1st & 2nd pic are similar, though one version appears to have bent ears and the other has 'em spot welded), the Superformance S/S offering, Bob's bracket from the site, above, and my car, with the 'psuedo' bracket.

At any rate, Manny, if you don't want to have the hassle or expense of potentialy chronic write-ups, you might want to bite the bullet and figure a way to mount the front plate.
    Good luck,
    Coop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Coop,

Thanks for the info. I also posted in the Socal section and got the link to chairpilots. Since they are so close to me, I'm going to check them out first.

Have a great weekend,

Manny

5. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    "Great minds...." I also posted in that section, Manny; 'figured it would get the word out to more folks if I followed suit.

Thanks, and you too,
    Coop

6. dtortoise3

dtortoise3 Karting

May 5, 2004
  7. ozmike

ozmike Rookie

May 29, 2010
    Australia
    I have an original Dino front plate bracket for sale. give me an email or other contact and I will send you a picture.

8. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #8 DinoLasse, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
    Coop,
    Thank you for that information. I did not realize that law enforcement officers now are paying attention to front plates, and had almost forgotten that my car never had one. I will be looking for one of the brackets you mention.
    By the way, your car is really looking good - front plate or no front plate!

Manny, I am glad you brought this subject up. You and Coop probably just saved me from getting a ticket. Thanks!

Lars

9. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #9 celestialcoop, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
    You're welcome, Lars.
    Heck, for the first four years of ownership, my Dino sported a clean nose, too. It's just in the last year that I decided to 'go with the flow' and not tempt fate. In my case, it's proven to be a good choice. 'too bad that we can't scale down/reshape the front plate so that it would blend better...like the small Euro fronts. Hmmm, rectangular with similar width but shorter height? Somebody out there with photoshop skills might work up a rendering for us?

And, thanks for the kudos on my car. That shot of the Dino is 'ancient history.' I'm gathering some current pics for an update. More on that, soon. :)
    Coop

10. 246dreamer

246dreamer Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Riverton New Zealand
    Full Name:
    David
    Look at pictures of UK or European Dinos, you'll struggle to see one that doesn't have a front plate and, surely, there must have been a factory fitting.

11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    A bracket (unattached) came with my 246. The front valance under the grill has no holes, however. How does one attach the bracket?

Andres

12. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #12 celestialcoop, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
    Hi Andres,
    How goes the war?
    I guess you'll have to drill two small holes under the nose/valence if you want to use yours. Are the holes in the mounting tabs present on your bracket (see my pictures, above)? If you drill holes, be sure and treat the bare metal around their circumferences to keep the tin worm at bay!
    Cheers,
    Coop

13. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    email sent

PM sent

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Coop. I so dread drilling holes, but will do as you suggest. Yes, my brackets have holes in the mounting tabs, exactly as in your pictures.

Best regards,

Andres

15. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #15 chairpilot, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Andy,

I've now made a version of my removable front plate bracket to now also fit 246's if you are still interested in an alternative to drilling for a fixed bracket.
    Celestialcoop posted the website and a picture earlier above if you want to see what it looks like
    PM me.

Bob R.

16. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Bob,
    I'm anxious to see how your new bracket fits on a 246. Thanks for working on that. PM on the way.

Andres,
    Have you drilled?

All,
    Bob's bracket may be just the 'ticket!'
    Cheers,
    Coop

17. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Unless I am mistaken, driving without a plate is a "fix it ticket."
    You have to fix the problem then drive to the DMV or police station (I don't know which) and show them you fixed the problem.

18. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #18 chairpilot, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had a chance to personally deliver my model V2s Plate Clip modified for a local 246. Pictures show the mounting and clearance which fit perfectly. With the positioning on the lowest grill blade, and with the license plate hanging down, it appears it will not to significantly block air flow to the radiator. One could place the Plate Clip to the side if maximizing centered air flow is a concern. I'll be designating this version my model V2s-246.

PM me if you have any questions.

Bob R.