Young & Trying to Break through into new region for Architecture/millwork market!HELP | FerrariChat

Young & Trying to Break through into new region for Architecture/millwork market!HELP

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Fatal Flash, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fatal Flash

Fatal Flash Karting
    BANNED

Jan 22, 2007
    Long Island
    Whats up F-Chat!

I have some questions for you guys as I believe this thread is right up my alley for the question, and its a perfect demographic to ask such as well.

To make cliffnotes:

I work fulltime with my father during my summers off from College (currently a Junior)

I am currently working on broadening company operations (regions) as it has become a bit dry due to the current recession, and Manhattan isn't producing as much work as it originally has for us.

We have completed projects in many other regions (FL, PR, Boston), and after touring LI by boat (which is also where I live), many of these mansions and beautiful properties are the exact demographic our company appeals to.

We do high end residential/commercial millwork - and we build the most exquisite custom kitchens/furniture/cabinetry in the area.

I want to break through into markets such as Sands Point/Glen Head/Hamptons etc.etc.

The only projects we have gotten in this area are through our NYC GC's, but I would like to get through to the prospective private clients in these areas, its just hard to impossible! I have contacted a few GC's i found online with decent portfolio's, but its merely word of mouth.

Thanks for all advice F-Chatters

Here is a link to the site for a general ideas

PHAWoodworks.com

2. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Read the real estate blogs for the situation in the Hamptons. Junior executive money isn't there. Old money is still spending. But when you are dealing with that clientele it is often word of mouth.

3. Fatal Flash

Fatal Flash Karting
    BANNED

Jan 22, 2007
    Long Island
    yeah - I would have my father organizing all contracts anyway. I'm just trying to get the company name + scope of work through the door.

4. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 pchop, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    IDs are you best way in.

Most of these clients do one stop shop with the ID. If the ID likes your work, your are golden.

But the days of if it's expensive = quality are long gone, even affluent clients are looking for value. So for you to get in bed with the IDs you better know your product and live up to what you promise.

Long Island is a very small community when it comes to high-end work and if you f-up, you can get blacklisted very very quickly.

5. SherBo

SherBo Rookie

Jul 24, 2010
    Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Sher BO
    You're talking the North Shore and The Hamptons. In the Five Towns there's Inwood Cabinet. Does most of the great Kitchens in the Five Towns. He works with local Architects.
    North Shore Country Clubs would be a great way to get referrals. You need to know a member in any Club. You do a job for the right member and you will get plenty of work.

6. SherBo

SherBo Rookie

Jul 24, 2010
    Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Sher BO
    Long Island is NOT a very small community when it comes to high-end work.

"YOU WILL NOT GET BLACKLISTED".... The High End Community is one of the largest and most segregated communities in the US.

7. Fatal Flash

Fatal Flash Karting
    BANNED

Jan 22, 2007
    Long Island
    #7 Fatal Flash, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Well...

I checked the Hamptons blogs - sent a few messages to a few RE's, and Brokerages, and have made small talk.

Still not the proper guys to speak to.

---

Our caliber of work is extremely high end, we have been dropping prices but preserving quality with the companies we subcontract for as they bully us to drop prices on the regular.

We are currently SO busy, that we are struggling to find more employees! But that doesn't mean I'm stopping my search.

---

We would not get blacklisted, and that is something I can guarantee with our work. I did lots of research, and contacted many GC's in L.I., but have not received any responses. Not really surprised.

---

The guys who build the kitchens would be our competition, and those are not people I can approach. Its the architects & GC's, but sending a small introduction letter is like contacting WARNER BROTHERS asking them to write a contract as the next Frank Sinatra.

Any more leads / advice??

I am going to do some google, etc., searches on Interior Design as recommended above.

Thanks Fchat.

ps - I have no ways of networking with North Shore Country Club / North Hills etc. Anyone have leads / referrals??

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

thread closed.