600+ miles | FerrariChat

600+ miles

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hawkeye, Jul 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Ferrari have really changed the equation with the 458. We have all watched the videos, read the articles and posts from Europe. All of this stuff is true. I can't explain the 458 and its systems better than Evo so I'll take a comparison approach using my own cars as a reference.

I drove the 458 for 20 minutes then switched to Scuderia for 20 minutes. Amazing how Ferrari marginalized the Scud so quickly and seemingly with little regard to the Scuderia image & name. Scud felt like it was running on 6 cylinders, I checked gauges, it was fine.

The 458 is nearly F40 exciting. The F40 leaves you coming down from an emotional surge 15 minutes after you shut it off. Sights, sounds, power. The 458 is so fast your interaction with the car demands attention to shifting, braking and careful decisions about where you're steering the car. With rear tire temps at 120F the tires will break loose into 2nd gear, caution is required. Driving F40, you think what prompted Ferrari to build such a car? With 458, it makes you wonder how Ferrari can legally sell such a thing?

Though the Scud was disappointing, the follow up drive in the 599HGTE was still wonderful. No worries about the V12 being trumped, didn't happen. 599 and 458 are so different but I was curious as to the initial feel of 599 after the Italia. They each have place and 599 is still the power play.

The 458 is just amazing, nothing modern compares. If you're on the fence, don't be. If you're torn by thought of selling your scud, don't be. It's worth the wait. More to follow.

2. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    ok, im selling my scud...........
    i wish what ur saying isnt true........=(......

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hawkeye has the GTO lost it's appeal after experiencing the 458? Or perhaps I should say; the 599HGTE is sufficient?
    CH

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    As devil's advocate, is there anything bizarre or negative you've found so far? Anything you'd like to change either in your options or in the car itself?

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm keeping my scud and will drive her occasionally. I think you should test yourself before selling but I am not exaggerating this point. The 458 is faster, handles better, sounds better. Someone else will back me up on this point.

6. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm going to wait for the light / scud version of the 458 then I might trade in my scud

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    No way! The GTO and F40 are still my favorite drivers (on Sunday mornings). The 458 is top of the class for the modern V8, the 599 HGTE pulls harder and is just as rewarding of an experience. The big shocker for me was how it made the Scuderia feel in comparison. Because the Scud is less comfortable than F430, if I were to sell a car, I would sell Scud and keep F430 for daily drives. The F430 isn't trying to be more than it is, it's a wonderful and comfortable supercar. The Scud lost this fight in the first round by KO.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm thinking about taking different route, buying a challenge car for track days. For once, if someone said they needed more car than the 458, I would say "seriously?". It's hard enough to keep this car planted on the road. Physics has got to be the next priority for Ferrari. Overcome physics with systems. I never had my Scuds hot tires break loose in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have a track weekend with 458 coming soon.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #9 Hawkeye, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    I need to read the manual and then report back to you. I can't seem to turn radio off. I do turn it off and then it comes on by itself in 10 minutes. And I don't like where they put the fuel door/bonnet release switch. It's right on the inner sill where you get in and out and is prone to being hit.

As far as options, I'm very happy and feel you do not need to overly option this car. If you love carbon fiber, that's a personal thing but no passenger will ever comment on the carbon once the stoplight turns green. I'd save the money for tires :).

I also think the engine bay and lid are better presented (more pleasing to the eye) in the F430. That's a little knit picky on my part.

As far as driving, I'm waiting for it to rain to test more. You're gonna love this thing. But your F430 is still incredible by comparison, the scud has simply lost its value proposition.

10. ferrariluk

ferrariluk Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2006
    Thanks for the report, I am going to spec my 458 but I want to keep it simple.

Do you think the LEDS, RMSV and RSCH must have?

11. stereotaipei

stereotaipei Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Taiwan + Europe
    hmmm... I am getting my 458 delivered on this Friday. My first Ferrari, so you scare me a bit with this statement - don't want to crash it after 3 days!
    is it the case only in CT off mode, or even in Race or Sport mode?

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    In race and sport mode the car will throw itself around before it gathers itself into a straight line if you put gas pedal to the floor.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I think LEDS are actually quite useful in this car, the other options (Rims and Racing Seats) are more for personal taste and don't think they are must haves.

14. RacerXF599

RacerXF599 Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    USA/ UK
    Full Name:
    James
    Terrific writeup. Thank you as some one not on the fence and waiting kind of patiently for my turn to order. I can't wait. I look forward to what your thoughts are after you track it. I too have thought of a challenge car as a good track choice. Glad to hear you are enjoying your cars. I think the 599 and the 458 make for great garage friends and complement each other. I can now see selling a scud. Looking forward to more from your experiences.

Regards,
    James

15. krzys@earthlink.net

[email protected] Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Ok, bear with me here. I am a little sceptical about Italia (especially compared to the scud). I am really bothered by the weight. So far it sounds like you really like the power (or rather torque). Breaking traction in 2,3 gear is impressive, although more of a Corvette thing.

Maybe we use those cars differently (I prettty much use mine only on the track), but what about other impressions beyond power/torque? Agility, grip, braking?

I am also curious about the sound, since after listening to the car online, I agree with Chris Harris that Italia sounds artificial. Don't get me wrong, I also think that the scud sounds a bit artificial (especially compared to the king of the sound hill right now: Maserati GranTurismo S). What's your opinion so far?

16. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    I have not driven the Italia but viewed a press car in person a week ago. The salesman showed me around the car and started it for me. I can tell you that the exhaust note, to me, does not sound artificial. It sounds great upon start up and revving the engine beyond say 3000 RPM. More of a deep baritone note as opposed to a F430's higher pitched sound. The pictures also do not do this car justice. The curves are intoxicating. I agree with Hawkeye that the engine bonnet and bay could be better presented. The car I looked at had what appeared to be plastic surrounding the engine in the bay. For me, carbon fiber would complement the engine compartment nicely as it does in the scud. Other than that, a nicely executed piece of machinery. I was considering a scud myself but may wait on the sidelines for more reports from 458 owners. Still think the scud is awesome though.

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I wouldn't be so concerned on weight, it's got plenty-o-power. Agility, Grip & Braking? On road, amazing. Turn in weight and feel is much sharper than scud. I will put the car on track once or twice to feel my limitations with car a little better. Neither scud nor 458 is a suitable track car IMO, expensive to fix and short on safety for both of them. For a track day here and there, sure. Start up and idle, Maser GTS sounds much better. In race mode, the 458 will wake the neighbors at 15MPH. Maser GTS loses it's thunder at 50MPH IMO, the 458 just comes online then.

18. swordsman

swordsman Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    LA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Great write-up and I agree wholeheartedly! Coming from both Scud and 599 HGTE...this is my most "fun" car yet!

19. chaparralman

chaparralman Karting

Jan 30, 2008
    Hey Hawkeye,

I'm gonna tease you the next time I see you, because you spend more time in the virtual world than a 13 year old boy addicted to Halo. :)

Go out in the real world and come play. Or are you afraid some dumb guy in a 13 year old blue Viper is going to beat your shiney red technological marvel in a road race? ;)

Craig and I are going to Watkins Glen in September to race. You need to come join the party.

Sincerely,

That guy

PS, did you get the pictures of that car I sent you?

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I got the pictures, thank you. Hey, I thought you were banned from this website. And on a serious note, what set up do you use that will allow a Viper to turn a corner at 40+MPH anyhow ;) PS you owe me some tire tread for the 458. What was I thinking...

And when I get tickets to Monza in September, Craig will say "Watkins Who?"

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does the GTO feel a lot superior to the Scud? Does it seem less balanced as it is front engined?

Steve

22. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The GTO is a rear-mid-engine (1985 288 GTO) and not 599 GTO. I would love to drive the 599 GTO, maybe someday!

23. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hah, sorry, wrong GTO.

24. chaparralman

chaparralman Karting

Jan 30, 2008

Hahaha. :) Craig's a racer at heart, just make sure you don't get him all fat on red wine and pasta.

Actually, the 458 and I bonded. It spoke to me and it was so happy to finally be set free the way it was made to. Next time I see it, she'll say "at least we'll always have New Albany" :)

Set up on a Viper? Please. What set up does a hammer need? It just beats things up. You gotta like cars with an attitude problem. I'm thinking if I get a '65 Cheetah, that I need to race it against you in the 458 at Mid-Ohio. Now THAT would be entertaining. :)

Have fun in Italy! Sounds truly wonderfull. Just do it after the Glen. Because at least there he will get to race a Ferrari rather than just watch Ferraris race. ;)

Glad you liked the car pics. Catch you later

25. Kevin HD

Kevin HD Karting

Aug 13, 2008
    Dayton/Athens, OH
    Full Name:
    Kevin Dunsky
    Hey Chad,

I got to go up to the show a this weekend and checked out your car. Looks far more fantastic in person that I imagined. Sounds great too. Todd said you put them on the spot the morning of the show after a little fun in the rain. Sounds like a blast! I'll put up the pictures I took of it on my flickr if you still have the link.

PS-did you used to have a GTO?