The Evil Pygmy; "No room in F1 for FOTA"..... | FerrariChat

The Evil Pygmy; "No room in F1 for FOTA".....

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, Jul 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Lifted from Autosport:

The full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85059

Apparently, they've all had to remove their tractors from the trailers! [I dunno how they can be "branded" illegally where the trailers aren't, but we're dealing with F1 lunacy it seems.....]

Cheers,
    Ian

2. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    He's right in a way.

They agreed on reducing downforce then we saw the diffuser wars..

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    It says its between the teams and Allsport... but Bernie owns most of Allsport! such a bunch of BS and they want to know why F-1 is in trouble????????????????

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It is?

With respect, the racing is as close as it's ever been and many different teams on the podium. 3 new teams this year, and another coming next and we'll be back to "full" grids.

I wouldn't mind being in that kind of trouble!.......

Cheers,
    Ian

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would agree F1 is not in trouble, I do not see any of the current major teams leaving the sport, and at least two of the new teams will be around for another year.

I also think Bernie is correct with this statement as it sounds just like the first step in the demise of CART. It was very obvious Ferrari tried to take the advantage with the Montezemelo/Mosley debacle.

Says Bernie:

"It will never work because it is made by teams that fight against each other on the tracks," Ecclestone told the Italian newspaper.

"When the teams examine rules, everyone tries to get an advantage. The teams wanted to divide F1, but now they understand that it is good to give importance to the money that they get (from FOM). There is no space for FOTA... "

No successful racing series has even been run by the teams. Although, the final deciding factor in certain matters such as the new tires for 2011 are up to the FIA, not Bernie. Jean Todt reminded FOTA to back off on their choice of tires, the FIA would decide. And he too was correct.

6. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    1. An internal F1 team union made up of bitter foes who's goal is to create external commercial agreements and is destine to out live its usefulness.

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If it weren't for the huge sums involved this would be so juvenile as to be laughable.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nonsense.

F1 is doing just fine.

All that talk about the end of F1 because the car manufacturers retreated was just that: talk

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    They will be back.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes.

The involvement of the car manufacturers is cyclical. Once they're making money with their car productions again, they'll look for the most prestigious, fastest and technologically advanced form of motorsport and come back to F1.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I have a feeling that the new engine formula will draw some back to the sport and maybe some new ones as well (VW/Audi).

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I stand by my comment. F-1 is in financial trouble, there are only 13 teams, yes this year has been better racing wise, but you keep hearing about cutting cost, etc... new 107% rule next year, will drive cost up... everyone will have to have KERS, etc... As for the major manufactures coming back.. nope - why? Honda, Toyota, BMW? why spend Billions to get nothing in return.
    Advertizing rates have been going down, tobacco $ has been taken out and needs to be replaced by what? that to me is why F-1 is in trouble. there is a lack of real money coming into the sport, and Bernie and his crowd are taking it all... that is why FOTA exists... its all about money. thats just the business side of things!

The cars are terrible looking - no translatable technology to street cars.... its just really a spec formula... not much different than CART way back then before it split and faded... I've been following F-1 for 43 years... In my opinion its a shadow of its former self.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The sport is in great shape the business, not so much. Sometimes we confuse the two.

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Lets go back 50 years and have no "wings" at all!!

15. ms.gto

ms.gto Formula Junior

May 17, 2008
    Mornington Peninsula
    Full Name:
    andrew tregurtha
    I feel the same, just as we would love to see the return of some manufacturers in F1, it would be great to see Ferrari increase its involvement in other series

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I do agree that it is becoming more and more like a spec series and the cars do look awful!

17. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I was just going to say the same thing.

18. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Eye of the beholder and all.

F1 is hardly a spec series. It's highly evolved at this point is all. The differences are subtle in appearance, but they are huge differences. It's not dramatic like ages past because it's so evolved that teams are fighting for tenths of a second. We are very far past the point of diminishing returns.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ha, out of every 1000 people you ask, I bet over 900 think the 09+ cars look worse than their predecessors. Did I say F1 was a spec series? No, but anyone can see that F1 is moving in that direction. Is it there yet? Hell no. However, standard ECUs, frozen engines with rev-limiters, testing bans, one-make tires, etc. are all big moves in the spec direction.

It seems evolved but I think it has regressed from a technical evolution standpoint. Downsizing motors, putting rev limiters on cars, standardizing ECUs, banning innovations like the F-duct for next year, standard tires, etc. is not what I call evolution. For example, if they want trickle-down technology for road cars why put so many restrictions on KERS? Rather than true hard-edge innovation we see engineers focusing on reliability rather than pushing the envelope like years past.

Just my 2 cents.

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    oh christ not the debate again whether the cars are good looking or not. Who the F cares, honestly?! It's about the racing no? If you want to see pretty cars go to a museum or something.

F1 needs to be very simple:
    x amount of fuel for the race, unlimited for practice/quali.
    lower and wider rear wings
    no stupid diffusers which still spoil the air behind other cars and no overtaking is possible
    remove the stupid tire rule where you can only use compound A or B, and you still have to use both. It was fun in the first 2 races because no one knew how or what, but then everyone figured out how they can use it the best and thats that.
    defreeze the engine thing, let them figure out what they want.
    extra test days on either thursday or monday, if not possible for whatever reason, preschedule where the teams can test + 10 days extra spread over the year.

There you have it. F1 is awesome again.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree with the notion that we need to have F-1 be more open.

Bring back moveable aero, active suspensions, multi cylinder, exotic petrol, etc... that is what makes F1 - F1! - you have to have all this innovation otherwise its going to be like NASCAR - which is really a soap opera, I dont consider it real racing, its to artificially contrived. that is what F-1 is becoming.

Today you CANNOT separate the busienss from the "sport" its just too intertwined. that is why I feel F-1 is really in trouble. its only way is to become a spec series. Unless somebody is willing to lose a lot of Money? I just dont see who that will be.