So why does the Mondial seem to get dissed? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So why does the Mondial seem to get dissed?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by s2mikey, Jun 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    +1

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had a t cab and found it to be a brilliant driving car. Journalists can be a bunch of wankers. I also loved my 348... and they moaned about that one as well.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a collection of almost every magazine article written on the Mondial 3.2 and T in the 80's. The articles were OVERWHELMINGLY positive. Journalists of the day loved these cars.

I can't speak for the 8's or the QV's.

Beyond that, I am done trying to defend the Mondial. Those who don' t like them are usually misinformed, have preconceived notions of "what a Ferrari is" without any apparent recognition or understanding of Ferrari's long tradition of wonderful 2+2's,, or haven't driven them.

Buy the car YOU want, because unless the naysayers are going to help pay the bills, there opinion doesn't mean squat.

The

4. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    #29 Max4HD, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Joe, ya think defending the Mondial, approaches the boring/fun stage. Well, taking defense and explanation to the next level, I can't tell you how may times I have explained what "Valeo" meant - or did - - and this, many times to folks wearing Ferrari shirts, caps and maybe even those super light weight driving shoes.

If they really are looking for info that is new to them, I'm game. I'l tell them about all the stuff in the history books regarding this amazing forerunner F1 type clutch system. And of course, when they see my Rachel, they realize just how many suitcases can be put in a Mondial, leaving more than enough room for groceries and a beer cooler too??? !!!

I'm with you Joe. If they want to know, they'll do the research - and guys like us will help. Any Dissing will fall on totally deaf ears!!!!

Cheers mate,

Hank

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Right on, my brother!

7. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #32 JoeZaff, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    I hear you. I was just thinking about the Valeo today. What a brilliant design.

Thanks.

The funny thing is, I have gotten so fed up with all the extra bulls$it that comes with owning a Ferrari, from waiting forever to get an appointment at the dealer (when my mechanic is too backed up), to parts that are NLA, to all the extra care that goes in to maintaining an old exotic car properly, that I reached my breaking point and seriously thought about bailing out the other day and jumping in a newer F-car like a 360/550 or maybe a Lotus or Maserati.
    Then I stood back and thought about the car itself. How much I love it, how much joy it brings me just sitting in the garage, how much fun it is to take my daughter for drives, Saturday Morning C&C's, and burning up the backroads at dusk with the top down. I have driven most of the modern Ferraris and the Mondial speaks to me more than any other. I enjoy it that much. The Mondial is the car Enzo made for me.

As my wonderful wife said to me as I was on the cliff, I couldn't imagine you without that car.

Mondials are wonderful, beautiful cars. Those who don't like them, just don't know.

8. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I love Mondials.
    My first Ferrari was a lovely silver QV.
    I miss my Mondial, and would never hesitate to have one again.:)

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That must have felt weird - being so close to the edge of bailing. Well, three elements saved your a$$. First, was your "wonderful wife". Second was the enjoyment of sharing your driving passion with your family/daughter. I'm sure your know the third - - "how much I love it".

As for those who don't like the Mondial, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's not even about "knowing". I just may think that their favorite car is a POS......hey, what do I know??:):) It's all OK :)

Cheers mate,

Hank

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #35 TheMayor, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    If you read the California haters posts, you can cross out California and put in Mondial and in most cases, the criticism would be the same.

2 + 2's get no respect if they have a Ferrari badge. Put on a Maserati badge or and Alfa badge and suddenly they are great GT's. Leave the Ferrari badge on and somehow they are boring, unattractive, and not macho enough.

Wanting a Mondial vs a 308 reminds me of the debate between "Mary Ann" vs "Ginger". Mary Ann is nice and sweet-- the kind you bring home to momma. Ginger is just plain sexy -- the kind you have an affair with and spend all your money on. But, I wouldn't kick either out of my bed.

Yes, the Mondial gets no respect. Too bad really.

11. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Well, as strange as this sounds, Im OK with the somewhat lack of respect since that will keep prices within reach of lil' 'ol me. :)

Then I can "suffer" with the rest of the Mondial owners when I finally find mine. I just thought too - the Porsche 911 is a classic pure sports car....and that has a couple jump seats in the back. Is that "approved" by the Machismo crowd?

12. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Just beautifully stated... ** wipes away tears due to heart-felt post ** ;)

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Hard to imagine there is such a thing as an undesirable Ferrari.

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Right !! That's a pretty amazing concept, no?

Cheers, Hank

15. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    I've always liked Mondials, especially the late 80's cars with the matching bumpers. I would probably trade my 348 for a late Mondial Cab straight up right now just because I need the backseat, plus the way I use the car more suits a Mondial. I like the 400/412's too, so maybe I'm just an odd duck, LOL

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Quack, quack :):):)

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Just spent some time this morning in a 1990 Mondial t while watching the Formula 1 race at my local Ferrari dealer, Lake Forest Sportscars. I've always loved the Mondials. I'm hoping to find a nice 3.2 coupe some day.

Joe

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Well Joe, a better than "nice 3.2 coupe" is still listed by Scaledetails (Stephane), on page two of our very own FerrariAds section.

Good luck,

Hank

19. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    - Saw that. The aftermarket wheels kill the car for me. I know it's a matter of taste, but I prefer unmodified cars.

But thanks for the heads up.

Joe

20. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    Looks like scaledetail's car sold on eBay.

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    At the $ he was asking, I'm not surprised. It was an amazing car.

22. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #47 DavidDriver, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    There's another one "sort've" for sale by another FChatter too. Red cab, 3.2 with only 21K miles. He bought it with 16K, and I've put close to 1/3rd of the miles put on that car in the last 4 or 5yrs. Great car and a lot of fun to drive and also gets pretty decent gas mileage too. (especially compared to my GT4! :p ) I think we got about 21mpg going up to Oregon and then coming back thru Napa a few years ago.

Some people (like my friend) buy them as entry level cars and then are afraid to drive them, for fear of getting even the smallest ding on the car. He shopped carefully and bought one in pristine condition, but with that came the fear factor. I say drive it! But he won't. "If I get a chip in the windshield, it'll cost me $1600!", he says. So there it sits.

Now after sitting in storage for 2yrs (I think he's maybe driven it twice in that time), he looking to get rid of it. His may be an exception, but I think the circumstances are probably fairly common, in that these cars can change hands numerous times, which in itself can tend to make the cars seems less attractive.

Just my 2-cents...

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Most of the people who don't like the looks of a Mondial have never seen one in person. Honestly, they do not photograph well. They look so much better in the metal.

They are very practical cars. I am certain that I will regret selling ours. I drive it more than my 308 because it is more practical, has a trunk, seats 4, etc. Also, nobody looks at you like you are a rich dickhead when you drive a Mondial because they don't realize it's a Ferrari until they get up close enough to see the emblem. I have the kids car seats in the back of mine and that gives people a giggle. I had a lady at the gas station ask me if it was still "cool" to have a Ferrari with kid seats. I said yes, because I can always have a cute little blonde with me. :)

My impression of the Mondial is that it's a fantastic highway car. It just loves to settle down into a nice 90 MPH groove. Even at 90 with the sunroof open, there is very little turbulence in the cabin. You hear the engine behind you...it's awesome. I love a nice long drive on a good road in the Mondial. I would rather hustle the 308 around a curvy back road than drive on the highway.

I prefer the looks of the coupe to the cabriolet, but there are definitely days when I wish the roof went down!

Birdman

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    In response to the title of the thread...

I have never experienced the Mondial getting dissed except honestly on this forum, where there have been so many threads asking that question. The comments I get on the car when I drive it are overwhelmingly positive...more so than the comments I get on the 308.

25. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    +100.

And if I may add, lately it seems the only people on this forum who seem to be dissing the Mondial, are those that begin threads with...

Why is the Mondial so dissed? ;)