Gallardo - Gone, Welcome 430 | FerrariChat

Gallardo - Gone, Welcome 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by claytons, May 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. claytons

claytons Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Ever since I bought my 2007 Gallardo Spyder...I've had buyer's remorse about the F430 Spider.

I've been using a Porsche Carrera S Cab and the lambo as a "combo" daily driver. The Gallardo is lots of fun, it's the sexiest looking car on the road IMO...BUT...it really lacks something in the driving experience column. WAY too heavy for me, and I just prefer the RWD over the AWD. I have to steer the Gallardo with my shoulders...if you know what I mean...in addition, the power, while fun...just seems to lack something....from the seat of the pants feel.

I felt that the deficiencies of the Lambo made me keep the Porsche...for fun spirited corners etc.

SO...I got rid of both the Porsche and Lambo....and replaced it with a 2007 F430 Spider. 1,800 miles, one owner car, daytona seats, challenge wheels, F1, etc.

Driving that car...REALLY gave me the best of all worlds...it had me at hello :)

Got it from Foreign Cars Italia here in NC...and will be taking delivery this week sometime...

Will post pics.

Thanks for all the great info here...have been lurking.

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congratulations - a fine choice. :D

And welcome to the open forum. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Must post pics! :)

4. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Good choice and welcome!

5. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Way to go! FCI will take great care of you. Write us up a road test report.

6. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
  7. cbaclawski

cbaclawski Rookie

Apr 7, 2010
    congrats...

Saw that car on their lot a couple weeks back... looked awesome...

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Congrats!!! FCI are great people to deal with!!

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Good luck with your new car, I agree the Gallardo is a terrible car in AWD, that is why I made my coupe RWD.

10. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    congrats on the purschased

11. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I heard that is a bit scary. I am keeping mine awd, saved my ass once in the wet.

12. claytons

claytons Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    yup..it wasn't so much that it's AWD...it's just the "feel" of the car. Hard to explain I think.

The Gallardo feels about 2x as heavy as the F430 (I realize it's not!). I have ZERO problems with the competence of the Lambo. It's fast, I was never disappointed in its abilities (certainly never approached its limits on the road!), it makes an awesome sound, and I believe it to be the prettiest car on the road.

BUT...I just never felt that amazing connection I got when driving my Carrera S. I think it has a lot to do (for me) with the RWD and the fact that the car is much lighter. Then , when I drove the F430...it was that X 10 or so.

I just immediately fell in love with the driving feel and the connection I could establish with the car. With the Lambo, I felt I had to think about a turn, then muscle the car's steering wheel with my shoulders and get through it (being over dramatic here to make a point)...with the F430, it feels like the car just goes where I want before I even have to think about it...never mind actually turn the wheel :)

Best I can do with my limited writing talent I'm afraid.

I just plain have more fun driving the F430 than I EVER would driving the Lambo

13. Fmax

Fmax Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Prague, CZ
    Full Name:
    Max
    I know what you mean about the steering, it is like turning a truck :).

I have a 360 and a G. TBH I find 7 times out of 10 I am end up in the lambo. 360 is a bit weedy for me power wise, perhaps I need to get a 430 instead.

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think that one line right there justifies the change. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I concur, the folks at FCI are great to deal with. I have not owned a Gallardo, but you will have no regrets with the 430. That baby pulls and pulls, hard! I look forward to meeting you at one of the NC FCA events. Please post pics and your driving comparison.
    Congrats!!

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have never driven a Gallardo but I strongly disagree that it is the sexiest car on the road. I never considered one when looking for another sports car.

17. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I have both a Gallardo Spider and an F430 coupe.

They're both amazing cars.

I'll agree, the F430 "feels" lighter and faster... but the G has something very special. I tend to drive the Lambo daily and save the Ferrari for special occasions. Living in Cali, I love being able to drop the top. I also upgraded the exhaust on the G to one from LOC which boosted the HP another 26 and lost 50-60lbs. Any one who's heard the valves open on a Gallardo knows how incredible the exhaust note is... imagine that all the time :D

I've driven a Gallardo (not mine) on a track and I won't do that again... it's just not nearly as much fun or effective as the F430. While the F430 is a surgical tool on the track, the Lambo is a chainsaw.

Both great cars, both very different. Oh, lastly... women LOVE the Lambo... guys love the Ferrari.

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Once the Gallardo is made RWD, the steering is remarkable, no more pickup truck feel. I would never own the car (or any sports car) in AWD, but to each his own. I had a gearshift 430 coupe and with what I have done to the Gallardo it is just as good of a car. I do not find the car scary at all, I think it is very easy to control, my supercharged 997S, is a lot more scary.

19. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Claytons... Who did you buy the car from (salesman...?) I hate I didn't get to help you with the deal...
    Where do you live and are you in the Ferrari Club...? I'm the VP of the North Carolina chapter so you need to get in the club if you're not already...

Enjoy the car!

Hank

20. claytons

claytons Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Hey Hank...Matt Davis was my sales person.

I live in Chapel Hill...Not in the club yet, but planning to join. I'll definitely look for you.

Car arrives tomorrow...hoping for nice weather to go out and play...crossing fingers and knocking wood...always more enjoyable in the sunshine.

21. claytons

claytons Rookie

Aug 9, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    #21 claytons, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh, yah... the F430 is numero uno. Slam it into 2nd at 8500 and see what heaven looks like.

23. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Looks nice, enjoy it.

24. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    BEAUTIFUL! Welcome back to the light side. ;)

-G.B.

25. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    Great choice, and congratulations on the upgrade. I share your thoughts about the Gallardo, and cant wait to sell my 911 S cab for a newish 430 Spyder.