A fine mess hits auction block | FerrariChat

A fine mess hits auction block

Discussion in 'Texas' started by writerguy, May 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
  2. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Some interesting cars but most of them look like they need lots of work.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'll attend on Friday to get some last shots of the collection. It's a real shame to see this happen, the Pate museum was a important part of Fort Worth history as well as my own childhood. I've been visiting the museum since 1975.

On a final note: I can't believe RM didn't even attempt a proper detail for the catalog photos, maybe it wan't in the budget but it hurts the overall presentation for the sale.

4. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Is there anything of interest?

5. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  6. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
  7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    So, I signed up as a bidder today. I'm going to split my time between MSR and the Auction... figure why not.

Anyone want me to throw some money at something for them?

I'm going for a few odd items like the church pews and models... maybe even catch a deal on one of the Delorean's < shrug >

Did anyone notice they are auctioning off the Church chapel too?

PM me if you are serious about wanting something for a price.

Steve

8. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Anyone who attended please post your impressions of the auction

9. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/around-town/cars/Oswalds-Getaway-Cab-on-the-Auction-Block-95628144.html

10. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Results:

http://www.rmauctions.com/auctionresults.cfm?SaleCode=FW10

Write up from RM:

THE PATE COLLECTION ATTRACTS
    ENTHUSIASTS FROM NEAR AND FAR
    This past Saturday, June 5, RM Auctions offered The Pate Collection in Cresson, Texas to a packed house on the grounds of the former Pate Museum of Transportation. The sale attracted many locals who fondly remembered their childhood trips to the museum and were looking to own a piece of that history; bidders from other areas of the United States, as well as Europe, provided ample competition online and over the telephone. 43 vehicles and over 170 lots of memorabilia from the collection, along with a series of select private consignments, were offered without reserve. Ultimately, the event posted over $1.9 million in sales, with many lots exceeding their pre-sale estimates.
    The top-seller of the day was the original 1935 Aston Martin MK II Tourer above, which doubled its pre-sale low estimate, selling for $187,000. The 1962 Checker Marathon Dallas Taxi Cab, believed to have been hailed by Lee Harvey Oswald following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, also spurred lively bidding, achieving $35,750 versus a pre-sale estimate of $20,000 - $30,000. The Checker Taxi Cab is headed to the Historic Auto Attractions museum in Rockford, Illinois, where it will join a large collection of other Kennedy memorabilia.
    Visit the RM Auctions website for a full list of results.

11. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I visited a friend this morning that cares for a private collection locally, the 1975 Trabant 601 Sedan & 1936 Lincoln Model K 7-Passenger Sedan were purchased buy his employer.

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I arrived early enough to grab a seat close to the front and directly next to the phone bank. Also close enough to hear what was going on behind the scenes so to speak.

1. They did not give enough information on items for sale.
    2. When the Trabrant went for double it's real value ( IMO ) I left early, knowing that the rest of the vehicles would follow suit. It's almost like the bidders did not hear the part about the cars have not been driven for many years and will require full mechanical restoration and may not have keys.
    3. I was very supprised at the prices being paid for the non-automotive items, $500+ for vintage signage, I didnt realize there was such a market.
    4. The phone bank staff kept losing signal and dropping calls in the middle of bidding war.. ( made me LoL a few times )
    5. The staff were very polite.
    6. Oh, it was hot!

It was an interesting event to attend - even though I didn't win anything.. though I tried on a few items.

Steve

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #13 SAFE4NOW, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    He was sitting right next to me, I didn't mean to run it up for him, I just didnt think anyone else would be that interested in that car...

I had plans for it:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    wow. No bargains there - evey car was neglected and tired, albeit probably pretty complete and original. Texas money talking here.

15. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #15 WJHMH, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    What's that yellow one? Looks like it says Trabant.

17. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Trabant it is.

18. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    That's what it is, the little basket case is going to remain a static display. BTW, I think they already found dead mice in the green Lincoln, go figure.

19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Was at the Yellow Rose Car Show this past weekend, and ran across a friend's father with one the the Pate cars. He attended the auction to grab the Shelby, but only ended up with the T-bird convertible....in green (similar to the "avocado" of 60s appliances, seriously!!). He displayed this car in the YRCS, for anyone who went.

It was the original World's Fair show car, with something to do with Disney (I can't recall exactly what, possibly the location of the WF), and one of only two in that color, with less than half the mileage of the other one, since it's been in Pate for almost all of its life. He only had to renew some of the Hydraulics, including the top mechanism, and the car was perfect. The top itself had been sealed under its cover, and is almost perfect. Other things found in back when they finally opened it (part of the hydraulics, remember) were original title, promo material and photos from the WF, and a bunch of Disney promo stuff, all in near-perfect condition.

Funky color, but jeez it was gorgeous. Watch for it at BJ.

20. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    C'mon... no one here can be too surprised that there will be no restoration for the Trabant. Doesn't the Trabbi consistently land honors in the various "Worst Cars Ever Made" lists in random magazines and auto focused web sites?

I was in Berlin for a few weeks in January of 1990, two months after the Wall came down. Sitting on the Wall and watching the flood of Trabants coming from East Berlin and flowing into West Berlin was quite a sight, and made for a very memorable vision, but doesn't change that it was one of the worst cars ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... this car is VERY well suited to a static display.

21. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    It's good to see these cars moved on to good owners after The Pates. Already being displayed at shows and mechanically renewed.