Misc Posters from PhotoShoots | FerrariChat

Misc Posters from PhotoShoots

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by thejdawg, May 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Rookie

Apr 26, 2010
    Toronto (East)
    Full Name:
    Jacob
    Awesome posters, great job.

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Nice work.

Take it from me if you try and do anything retail with these you are in for a world of problems trying to get IP for any of these brands. Especially Porsche and Ferrari

But nice work

3. thejdawg

thejdawg Rookie

Apr 30, 2010
    Menasha, WI
    Full Name:
    Joel
    Thanks Jacob_G and writerguy for your comments.

These are just done for clients. I usually include a poster design with the photoshoot for them.

4. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Great stuff man!

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can you explain more? I had some ideas around posters, but in the back of my mind wondered if you are exposed to any sort of lawsuit.

You can't sell a poster of a classic Porsche or Ferrari? That's considered "intellectual property"? Is there precedent (assuming there is, but if you have examples, I am interested).

Thanks in advance.

6. sofaman

sofaman Rookie

Mar 24, 2010
    I'll take a stab at this but most importantly, remember as with all things legal, there are exceptions and gray areas.

Actually some of the posters shown here would be OK, others not. Why? Because of the amount of corporate identity that make up the actual artwork. Why does this matter?

If you see a car you like, and photograph it, draw it, paint it, etc. that's fine. It's your image, and you can sell it if you like.

However, if you feature a car name, badge, logo, symbol (prancing horse) etc. then things change. The reason is now, you are using a company's branding (intellectual property) to make a profit for yourself, and that doesn't stand up in court.

Consider this. If say, a watch company wants to do a TV ad, and convey that theirs is a great luxury watch . . . as good as a Porsche or Ferrari is a car. . . and they want to show that by having some guy drive up in a new Porsche/Ferrari and then have the camera zoom onto his wrist showing this great watch. . .

Porsche or Ferrari could sue and win as the watch brand is gaining profit by "using" or "stealing" the image (and the value of their reputation) of these car brands.

It's all complicated by the fact that lately companies have been waaayyyy more litigious than years past. Artists of all kinds used to sell works that had images of cars, sports personalities, or even places that nowadays, would get you straight into the receiving end of a nasty lawsuit.

Again, the trouble is, there are gray areas and exceptions. Porsche and Ferrari are just two car companies that are particularly "defensive" of their brands.