Garage Pics!! | Page 200 | FerrariChat

Garage Pics!!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Titanboy_24, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1; LOVE the Lancia Stratos!!!

2. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    very very true
    that is bella

3. nsx4me

nsx4me Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Texas/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Jas

Long time, still looking good! All of us while in Iraq still today talk about your garage set up. Remarkable none the less.

Cheers
    Gil

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thank you again. They were cars I liked and picked up over time. I bought the Stratos when they were inexpensive.

The gravel on the driveway is just crushed rock, used in concrete, Jason.

Andy

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #4980 abstamaria, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought it might be interesting to hear how enthusiasts have addressed lighting and other issues in their garages and workshops, so I will start this off with the lighting system I used. I am a bit hesitant since this is the "Showroom" section, so technical issues might be out of place.

For lighting non-working areas, we installed many years ago an overhead modular system that allowed wires, air lines, cables to be routed through them. The open framework made it easy to change the position of lights, switches, etc.. When I decided to install a projector and sound system (for viewing automobile films with friends!), the system made installation a breeze.

The pictures shows part of the system and the red parts cabinet I had for many years, mostly for Lotus parts. It was not easy to order parts before, so I had to stock parts for the two Lotuses I was racing. I found it useful to see what parts I had in store, since I tended to forget what i already had or needed.

I since found that a stacker, used for documents, could take most of my parts. It saves space, and I have found it very convenient. Here are pictures showing the stacker open and closed, as well as, again. the overhead framework.

I hope this is useful. I would be interested in seeing what others have done.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. V40RaCeR

V40RaCeR Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #4981 V40RaCeR, May 13, 2010
    Wow Andy, you have the ultimate driver's garage! That Stratos of yours is absolutely killer!

It's the color combo that Ferrari put on the Sessanta when it was released. It looks just like this one...

4rextc likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very nice

8. BmanMD

BmanMD Rookie

May 13, 2010
    Houston

Just joined the forum and was admiring everyone's amazing collections. I have to say this is an absolute dream collection, topped off with the F40. Hopefully some day after I graduate from Med school and get through residency I'll be able to indulge in my dream of a F40. Fingers crossed with the way things are moving in this country. Either way, keeping that thought alive will get me through these final exams. Thanks for the motivating pics!

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Andy, please tell us about the movable cabinets. They look very cool!

10. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    yes thats for sure

11. carbon

carbon Rookie

Jun 6, 2009
    This is what I call a dream garage!!! There isn't a car that I do not desire, well, if there was something I had to change, I would swap the 16M for a Scudeira.

How would you rank your collection? Here is how I would rank it..

Stradale, Cerrera GT, Scuderia, F40, GT3 RS, and I will leave the Merc alone, daily driver should not apply, having said that, it does provide a comfortable ride when you don't feel like drifting.....

What a colleciont and enjoy.......

12. Vector W8

Vector W8 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Vector W8 015
    Hi Andy,

Beautiful collection, great garage. Where did you get the Lancia Stratos from? My friend has one or maybe had one that looked just like it? I am not sure if he still has his. I was wondering where and when you acquired it?

Thanks!

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #4988 abstamaria, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
    Thank you, all. In posting, I wanted to share some things I learned or found useful in the 30 or so years that I have been maintaining a garage, not really to showcase a collection, but to work on and enjoy sports cars. In so doing, I wanted to encourage others to do the same, as that would be very interesting to me.

The stacker (or movable-aisle) cabinets are used for filing records in offices. The firm I worked with in New York in the 70s had a room filled with them, all moving with motors, so they are old technology. Their advantage is that they save space, because one creates an aisle between stacks by simply moving a stack to one side, as shown in the photos. The longer and more plentiful the rows of stacks, the greater the space saving, because only one aisle services all those rows. The firm I am with uses them for records. I thought they would be useful to save space in my workshop, and they do. They would be great for a restoration project to keep parts. They can take a lot of weight.

Mine are manually operated. The stacks move easily on rails on a platform, and I usually just push them to one side, without having to use the handles on the front of the cabinets. They can be locked.

Stackers should be available used, as many offices use them. You can paint them red too to match your tool cabinets.Since I have a motley collection, I put "Lotus," "MG," etc. chassis tags on the cabinets to remind me where the parts go.

I hope you will find the idea useful.

Regards,

Andy

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Vector W8, my Stratos was imported from Japan in the mid-1980s. It was intended for a collector who, after examining the car, declined to buy (push-up windows, no air-conditioning, no radio, too competition-oriented). I had then only read about Stratos, was specially moved by the Car & Driver article on the car, but had never seen one. It was hard for me to believe that a Stratos was actually on the market, but I could not afford it. It was sold to someone else, a helicopter pilot. It went on the market again about two years later (the pilot was over 6 feet tall), so I put together my life's savings, threw in a '72 911, and got the car. I drove so fast from the seller's home, afraid he might change his mind. The car had about 10,000 km. They were not popular or known cars then, as now. Few enthusiasts know them, specially in the U.S., even in the 206/246 Dino forum.

Is your friend from Manila? The stradale (road) versions of course look alike.

Regards,

Andres

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Nice space, rydermike. What flooring is that? Painted epoxy?

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very cool cars! :D:D

More pics please! :D:D

17. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #4993 Shark49, May 18, 2010
    Personally I think the whole place is cheesy looking and overdone.

18. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Floor is just Behr white floor epoxy/paint , still needs anothe coat , but didn't really have time to get a 3rd coat done ,and will have to do sectionsas I can (and can touchup other spots....... white isn't easy to live with . White is good for lighting , so I can use less lights at night and less things get lost in a gray or tan floor coloring along with the reflective qualities of it.At ight All I use is 2 double 8 foot long fixtures and have plety of lighting.Total cost ,about $300 or so.

19. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
  20. chadhaas

chadhaas Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chad Haas
    #4996 chadhaas, May 19, 2010
  21. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Nicely done

22. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    Nice work. well designed. Like the materials too.

23. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    That sure went from being a drab garage to a ver nicely done toy store!

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks, Rydermike.

It may be counter-intuitive, but I think white actually is easier to keep looking clean than darker shades. (That certainly seems true for cars). Anyway, a white, seamless floor makes it easier to find that dropped washer.

My epoxy floor yellowed after a couple of years. I sometimes take try to take out scratches from jacks, etc., by wet-sanding the floor with a block, and the original white comes out. But then it yellows again. On boats, the problem here in the tropics is that epoxy yellows in the sun, so decks are often painted with I believe a polyurethane, with the stronger epoxy used on the hull. This might be a solution for me. I am painting my new workshop's floor epoxy as well, but might have to use a contractor to get a perfectly flat floor again (for aligning suspension, corner weights, etc.).

You seem to have just moved in, so have fun, and do keep us posted on what you're doing to the garage.

Thanks again.

Andy