250 GTO 4675 To be auctioned at RM MONACO | Page 7 | FerrariChat

250 GTO 4675 To be auctioned at RM MONACO

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by theowinstone, Feb 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pueche

pueche Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Jaime Pueche
    Yes Chris Evans bought the car.

I can bid here that the car will be inmediately be painted white with light blue interior.

He is the only excentric in the world that can do that!!! Thinking about it, I trully believe could be a good idea!!

2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #153 Peloton25, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TopGear is re-running this article (well, by TopGear standards it's an article) on Chris Evans' white Ferrari collection today as news broke of his GTO purchase.

http://www.topgear.com/UK/photos/chris-evans-ferrari?imageNo=0

Favorite quote:

Anyway, it's just a paint job. Not like the car is up for a preservation award with its original paint. It will surely go back to being red quite swiftly if/when it lands in anyone else's collection someday.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/2437

Following our initial report yesterday that RM Auctions had sold the 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO, s/n 4675GT, SCM can report that the buyer of the GTO is Chris Evans, U.K. radio show host. Evans announced on Twitter that he purchased 4765GT for the sum of 12m pounds (about $18.5m), in a private sale arranged by RM. Two years ago, Evans purchased an SWB California Spyder (s/n 2377GT) at the RM Maranello auction for the record-breaking sum of $10.9m. Read more here and here.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill

There's also a good Series one GTO that's for sale at much less than 32MM USD that likely will trade soon.

Cheers

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Holy smokes, didn't know Austin Powers owned so many white Ferrari's, thought he was a Shaguar kind of guy.

6. rossb

rossb Rookie

May 10, 2010
    surrey - uk
    Full Name:
    ross
    saw his garage 3 weeks ago - he does actually have shaguar mk11 in white - 3.4 i think

7. michal12

michal12 Karting

Dec 13, 2005
    Private sale is in this case to be interpreted as the 250 GTO was sold sold for less than original reserve?

8. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    There was no "reserve" the car was never at auction only rumored to be. It was sold by RM. There was an official asking price, some trades and a selling price.

Cheers,

Bill

9. SWMichigan

SWMichigan Rookie

Aug 14, 2009
  10. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The record-making Bugatti Atlantic left a sour taste in my mouth. As much as I love rare vintage cars, I just didn't understand this. Whenever there's word outside of closed doors about a 250 GTO's selling price, I have to see it as a peak.

This recent selling price and what Jim mentioned about Series 1 cars selling bellow any record making sum makes me think the ceiling has been seen, and is beginning to fall.

I agree that the model of any particular car does not necessarily matter so much as the price that a collector is willing to pay. I just can't see anything in the near future selling for anything above what that Bugatti sold for; GTO or otherwise.

A sustained value is something (from this enthusiasts perspective) that I can foresee in the GTO. I'd like to know who agrees or disagrees so as I can better understand their thinking from a more educated perspective.

Where rarity, esteem, and pedigree are all values which many exotic vintage automobiles embody, something higher than +/- $40M seems almost ridiculous. Not because I see that as an unrealistic amount of money, but because I don't see collectors CONSISTENTLY investing that much money in a single automobile.

_J

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is lots of more collectable or desirable cars than a 250GTO, such as that Bugatti (the ultimate road Bugatti IMO) and an Alfa Romeo 2900B, etc. The original SLR Mercedes models for example, particularly the car Moss drove ...

I'm not sure of what you were trying to say in your post, but to many not on FerrariChat a GTO is just another cool car.
    Pete