Lotus | FerrariChat

Lotus

Discussion in 'British' started by abstamaria, Mar 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #1 abstamaria, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mark,

Posted this separately so as not to derail the Dino restoration thread. It is interesting you were looking at a 23B. I bought mine in Arizona in 1997, a 23 (not a "B") that had a twincam installed in the early 60s, along with a Hewland box. It was the Ecurie Shirlee (Bob Challman) team car.

I thought it would drive like my Elan, but it was so much quicker. I found myself using more of the circuit than I used to. I loved the Hewland box - so fast to shift.

Unfortunately, I could not race any more so had to let go of the 23 two years ago. I thought I might install a generator and use it on the road, but it would not clear the speed humps in the village where I live. It broke my heart.

The 23 is a lovely car. Here's a picture taken in 2005 at the airport circuit in the old US Navy base in Subic.

I sold a racing sailboat to buy the 23, Mark. Isn't that an amazing coincidence?

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    :) Fantastic - any more photos?

3. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #3 abstamaria, Mar 2, 2010
  4. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for those pics - that looks in amazing condition! I am one of the resident Lotus nuts around here and would love a 23 :)

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Interesting how the radiator coolant is run through the frame of the car.
    I always liked the Lotus 23. Great pics!
    :)
    BT

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, the arrangement saved weight and cost (important to Chapman). Some 23s run external tubes now, and I understand some racing rules prohibit the use of chassis tubes for this purpose.

Yes, Loti are fantastic cars but very different from Ferrari.

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    What a lovely, lovely car, Andy! I can understand why it broke your heart to get rid of it.

On coolant through the frame tubes: It is so typical of Colin Chapmans thinking. He always tried to make one component perform two different functions in his cars. It not only reduced weight and cost, but also complexity of the design - or so he thought, at least. A brilliant mind creating wonderful little cars.

I am glad you brought the 23 to our attention, Andy. I had almost forgotten about it. It is a lovely car.
    Now, if you ever feel like posting some pictures of your Elan, I don't think anybody on this forum would mind...

8. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Hello,

I am a stranger to all of you and your conversation, but a fellow Lotus fanatic. Great photos, great 23! Thanks for posting here!

Cheers,

Tony K.
    (Esprit collector)

9. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Yes, excellent!

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #10 abstamaria, Mar 5, 2010
    Thank you. I have been first (and in my heart probably foremost - let's keep this to ourselves!) a Lotus enthusiast, although the marked contrast in philosophy, design, and execution with Ferrari is refreshing and makes both marques appealing.

There was a discussion in the 206/246 forum on undertaking restorations. Charley (docdozer) mentioned his on-going Europa restoration , Lars (DinoLasse) his now-sold Elan FHC, and Mark (Dinogts) his interest in a 12 and early Elite, and that led to this thread.

As Lars suggested, I am posting a picture of my Lotus Elan, a Series 4 model. Its history is briefly stated in the local club’s page:

http://www.manilasportscarclub.org/p...portscar2.html

As you can see from the picture, it has the 26R magnesium wheels and knock-offs (you have to change the hubs to fit the wheels and KOs) and the 1960s differential cooling scoop. When the picture was taken many years ago, I was still using the Elan in vintage races, which is quite friendly here. We have both now retired from racing.

That is my series 1 (1998) Elise. When I first parked the Elise next to the Elan, the Elan looked really vintage! Now the Elise looks vintage too!

I still have both Loti and wish I still had the 23. Peter Egan (of Road & Track) once wrote that if he were able to buy a 23, h would just park it in his living room and watch TV sitting in it. A good idea!

Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    My first car was a Series 1 Elan. I had it in college. It broke down a lot, and I had to work on it all week so I could drive it on the weekends. That car inspired my younger brother Chris to get one, a Series 3 that he still has, and to work for Lotus as their Communications guy in the US for several years.

The car that drew me to Lotus was the 23. I grew up in Dearborn, Mi--Ford's headquarters--but a local import garage put a 23 in their showroom. It looked like a spaceship at the time. I was about 12 years old. I used to ride my bike over there every day and just stare at it through the window.

12. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #12 DinoLasse, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Andy, great photo of a beautiful Lotus duo. Thanks for posting it.

Your Elan looks like a real Lotus should (IMO), ready for the track or a show, but somewhat useable on the street. Are you in fact using it on the street sometimes? Is the all-steel twin cam engine from QED tractable enough to be used on the street?

By the way, the link in your post above does not work (at least not on my computer). It is an interesting page and I am sure everyone here wants to look at it. Here is the corrected link:

http://www.manilasportscarclub.org/public_html/news/sportscar2.html

Lars

13. rallyguy

rallyguy Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    #13 rallyguy, Mar 7, 2010
  14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Lovely photographs, Rallyguy ). I specially like the photo with the Caterham. The make a nice combination.

You installed your battery cut-off switch exactly where I did. I had a Tony Thompson roll bar that looked like yours, but replaced it with a hoop when rules allowed an exception.

Post a copy of the article, Rallyguy. (Those are not rally cars, so you have wide interests. :))

Andy

15. rallyguy

rallyguy Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Thanks Andy. Since buying the Caterham, the Elan just sat unused, so I sold it. It just didn't hold a candle to the Seven despite all the work I had done to it.

The rollbar was from the late 60's early 70's we think, it was on the car when I bought it to restore. It looked great, but was way too low to offer any proper protection.

I used to shoot rally for living, hence the username when I joined this place. Stopped doing it after nearly getting killed and realizing I wasn't getting paid enough. Still love the sport though

The article was for a magazine called "0-60", I don't believe there is an online version of the article

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #16 abstamaria, Mar 10, 2010
  17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #17 abstamaria, Mar 10, 2010
  18. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Very cool car and very cool letter from Colin Chapman.
    Funny how he already seems to know the future of your 23 chassis :)

19. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know you had your reasons, but I could never see selling that car. That's just amazing and priceless with a letter from the man himself!

I always loved the lines of the 23.

20. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    Bob Challman was a Lotus distributor but mainly Elite models based in Manhattan Beach, CA on PCH...cool letter by the way.

21. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    does lotus
    stand for
    lots of trouble usually serious

22. FerrariRFan

FerrariRFan Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    Basking Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard Fan
    Hi everybody. Another Lotus lover here. I'm a proud owner of a 2007 Exige S.

23. livethedream

livethedream Karting

Feb 25, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've had no trouble with my 07 Elise. But I have had lots of serious fun!

24. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Ignore him... he talks a lot of crap. Ask Fchat member 'andecorp' for a character reference of this guy.