Do you want a tire war in F1 next year? | FerrariChat

Do you want a tire war in F1 next year?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you want a tire war in F1 next year?

1. Yes - Bring it on!

2. No - It'll lead to haves & have nots (?)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    A simple question......

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I guess I should have also said "and please post your reason(s)"......

FWIW, I voted "yes" as I believe it adds another layer of interest. [Not too mention reducing lap times.] If you *really* follow F1 the more technical variables the better IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I say yes it will make the racing more competitive than the funeral processions we have now.

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Playing devils advocate here; It could also make half (assuming they do it that way) the field more competitive and the others "also rans" if one supplier gets it right.

Is that a good thing? The slow guys need to work harder to catch up - And it's always been that way, be it wrt tires, engines, etc etc.

As they like to say on Top Gear; "it's the white hot cauldron of racing that improves the breed."

Having said that, I can argue both ways ;)

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - Why so many views yet so few votes? Are you waiting to see the "popular" choice first?......

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I want not only a tire war, but a development war.

That is, go back to unlimited testing, and loosen up some rules so that the cars, engines, transmissions, brakes, aerodynamics, and suspensions are "more free" rule wise than they currently are.

Right now, with the limited testing and no refueling , If you got rid of the mandatory pit stop, the cars+drivers that could go the distance on one set of tires would win.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I voted no. The last tire war was a mess; even without Indy 2005. Why not get rid of all these ever-changing compounds instead? Medium soft; super soft etc. Too damn confusing for everyone; it's certainly not helping the racing....

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I kind of agree. However, "unlimited" testing got *way* out of hand. I'd like to see 'em be allowed to test on either the Thursday before or the Monday after the race (or even both!) - Minimal cost impact but the ability to try and improve your car which is nigh on impossible right now.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Actually, I quite like it! [Dons flamesuit ;)] - They've always bought multiple compounds to the races. It's just that now we get to know what they're running, which I think is cool.

I do agree that out of what's available they should be free to use whatever they want - The "gotta run both compounds" rule, while well intentioned ("improve the show") just isn't working.

Cheers,
    Ian
    BTW - After Indy 2005 I *swore* I'd never buy another Michelin tire, and have stuck to that.... I'll never forgive them that debacle!

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I vote yes.

As others have said, there are always and will always be have and have nots in the sport. That's what gives the constructors incentive to keep developing - so that they can have next year what they have not now.

If not a full blown tire war, I would support just letting the team use whichever set of tires they feel will work best for them out of the ones that are available on that weekend, rather than the silly (I think) rule that requires them to use both. Put that level of control over the car's performance back in the hands of the teams.

10. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Yes, if Ferrari have the superior tires lol

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    how about 10000 kms per team testing per year? before it was banned Ferrari, renault and Mclaren did around 30K kms...

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you. However, I think even that amount (or whatever they can agree on) will lead to a return of the dedicated test team - That's a *big* expense, even for the big guys - They're running two, basically completely separate, teams.

OTOH, extending the race weekends would have a very small impact on budgets.

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    completely agree.

I liked the uber development years. That said, obviously there needs to be some reason (hence why i proposed the 10K kms testing per year, in addition of the official test days...).

The whole argument 'but the little guy won't have a chance with so much testing we can't afford!' never worked for me. F1 isn't a cheap sport, and even throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it won't guarantee you a WCC (hello toyota). You need people in there with knowledge, that's one of the reasons why minardi actually did ok (for a team that spend 40million a year compared to the big dogs 400m+). You get the poor teams now like HRT, virgin and lotus...and look where they are because there is no testing allowed!? they're much slower than minardi was, and I think they're spending more...

14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No for now, there are other pressing issues to sort first, overtaking and tracks that encourage it for one.

Adding a tyre war could complicate things right now, I think the dust needs to settle after the Mosley years, and then well thought out improvements tried out by folk that have been in the sport, not quick fixes dreamed up from some Mosley type pen pusher.

IMO

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Easy. Ban the dedicated test team full stop.

Extending the weekend is a problem due to noise regulations most tracks have now...

16. F1.Baracca

F1.Baracca Rookie

Feb 1, 2010
    I think that multiple tire suppliers would be very interesting next year. I also think they need to bring back testing and loosen up so of the ridiculous restrictions.

17. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I dunno that I would agree about unlimited testing getting out of hand.

Consider: on the last SpeedTV broadcast they talked about the team who air-freighted a group of engineers plus a car to the USA to do some wind tunnel testing, only to have it be for naught due to flight delays preventing it from happenning as planned. Tons of money down the drain.

It is also now very difficult for a winning team to be caught by competitors. Look at the McLaren F-duct, the Ferrari aero-wheels, or Red Bull's supposed trick diffuser. You get one shot at the main design, and the rest is bandaids on that.

And finally, look at Ferraris engine situation. The engines were unreliable this year and they got an exemption to update them. Well, the engines were not unreliable last year or the year prior... so obviously this years Ferrari engine is not the same as last years or the one before. So much for the engine freeze. Every year, we hear about who has the most powerful engine... so they are still doing development. Plus, given that if you get permission from the FIA to make a change, you need to be able to make it - it means you need to be ready and know what you would like to change, which means you must still be doing R&D on stuff that doesn't have much chance of ever actually working. So not only is it a big cost, but it's often for nothing.

So nowadays there may be 10 avenues that teams can make progress in, but they never know which will be cut off tomorrow or which will be allowed to them and when. So they have to hedge their bets and cover all those areas. That has to be more expensive than the olden days of knowing the relative ROI of monies spend on aero, chassis, engine, brakes, electronics, etc.

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is a simple question, but you mentioned the wrong reason for being against:

It is not about the "haves and have nots". Quite frankly that could be even a reason FOR it.

The real reason why a tire war is a bad idea, is that it will make the cars insanely faster.
    Then the FIA will have to reduce the speeds to keep the show "safe". That will be through new regulations affecting the cars and <drum roll> by adding chicanes into the circuits.

All the already boring Tilke track will then have their remaining interesting fast straights emasculated with chicanes. And THAT is the reason a tire war is a bad idea.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    As much as i would love a tire war to spice up the sport, i voted no. The last thing i would want is the championship to be decided based on who had better tire supplier for that year. That, coupled with the fact testing is banned, is a big no no.

Brings back so much bitter 2005 memories to see both Ferraris limping around the circuits back then.

20. snakeseare

snakeseare Karting

Aug 28, 2009
    Wallis &amp; Futuna
    Full Name:
    Ke
    Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. When Michelin and Bridgestone were supplying tyres,each had a single team for which their tyres were optimised. Everyone else was out of luck, and had to do the best they could with whatthey were given. A tyre war automatically guarantees a two-horse race right out of the gate. And if one tyre maker has a large advantage, the race is over before it starts.

We saw this show already. Seems that some weren't paying attention.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes if Ferrari has the winning tire. But there is only a 50-50 chance of that so NO. Put the results in the hands of the teams as has been previously expressed.

Forza Ferrari.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not if you let every company capable of manufacturing a safe tire into the war.

If you let only 2 in, then yes, you get 2 favorites, but if you let 10 in, who knows?

Heck, why not let the constructors manufacture their own tires? (if they so choose)

23. Bill4le

Bill4le Rookie

May 10, 2010
    Yes. To me, competing innovations is what makes F1 so exciting. KERS vs no-KERS (kinda glad thats gone tho), F-duct vs. no F-duct, etc..It could lead to haves and have-nots but that will just push the have-nots to try even harder and that always tends to lead to innovations. Yay Capitalism!.....wait, wha?

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You need differences in cars to enable passing so from that point I favour a tyre war.

Pete

25. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I rarely reply to anything with +1 but that post definitely deserves it! :)

>8^)
    ER