Affordable Future Collectable Cars | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Affordable Future Collectable Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TexFerrari, Oct 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #126 climb, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Many of the same guys that are paying 100k for a muscle car probably had one in high school or college etc. and moved on to family sedans then as they got older went back to the cars of their youth. I had BJ on the other day when my dad was over and he not being a car guy was shellshocked at some of the prices and had stories of how he'd bought some of the same cars for a few hundred dollars back in the sixties and seventies.

Many cheap cars were once loved by past generations and still cheap..that's true. I'm saying that this car because of it's use in the drifting community has become a darling of the younger guys and of modifiers and tuners etc. So not only is it loved by a generation but it's still used for competitive racing and customizing and that bodes well for it's chances of becoming a collectable and rising in value. It's not just a dream car on a poster hanging on your wall.

There is a customizing garage i drive past frequently and i always see 240's with a carbon fiber hoods and other mods sitting out front or on a lift.

Not so much making the case that the car is gonna rise in value to $100k but i do think it will be a future collectable car.

2. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Any Super unobtainable cars of there era the press worshipped. Other lesser cars of their era may rise but not subtaintially, look at Austin Healys 2000 3000s vs Jag XKEs. The Jag was one of the ultimate Brit cars.

70s. Porsche 930. Especially the 1st gen Turbo Carrera 3.0 that's the car that started it, Ferrari 512BB, Countach. Low production numbers help all 3

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably depends on whether the "drifting community" is a fad or a lasting change in motoring.

In the '50s, I think it was street drag racing.

4. eam3

eam3 Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Ed Mendez
    When I was a teenager, kids were dumping thousands of dollars into lowrider little pick up trucks. They had ridiculous stereos, air suspensions, crazy expensive custom body work and outrageous paint jobs with beds that would lift and rotate, showing all the chrome on the chassis and suspension. They spent thousands upon thousands on those trucks and where are they now? Do you think any of those guys are now looking in their garage at a Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo and wondering if they can fill their 4th spot with a little Nissan pick up truck from the 80s? It was a fad and it ran its course like other fads. I don't think drifting is a fad but like anything else teenagers are into, only a small minority will have the attention span to continue doing it 20 years on. As they mature, they might move on to driving schools or rallying or who knows what. For that small percentage that are still drifting when they're in their 40s and 50s, then yes, maybe the 240SX will be a collectible.

My favorite is still the '90 and up 300ZX TT but nice Mid 80s ZX Turbos still get my attention - you don't see good clean turbos around any more, very cool car :) My best friend made the mistake of test driving a new one in 1986. I could not get him to shut up about how much he liked the car for about a month.

5. Infinity_Racer

Infinity_Racer Karting

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Fl.
    Full Name:
    Gus B
    '05-'06 Pontiac GTO..?

6. Vantage007

Vantage007 Formula 3

Jul 5, 2009
    Toronto
  7. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Lamborghini Diablo

They are pretty cheap right now and, if history repeats itself, will increase in value like EVERY other Lamborghini before it. Just as this economy comes back, the Diablo will be ripe for a nice jump in value. I see the car leveling off between $110-$180k depending on the model when they come back.

A few years ago, the Countach could be found in the $60-80k range. Now, even in a rotten economy, you cannot find a good one under $90k. Most are $100-120k and up. They will stay there.

The Diablo has more modern lines that are pretty timeless. I think now is the time to get one. Of course I have one and am biased but historical data is on my side. ;-)

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Heres how I see it.

Look forward 15 years when the economy is in full recovery and money is flowing from the taps again.

Car enthusiasts who will be in their late 40s- early 60s in 2025 are the ones who will start buying cars for nostalgic purposes.

So when were their formative auto enthusiast years ? 1980 to mid 90s.

IROC Z
    TRANS AMs
    CRX
    RX 7
    300ZX
    GNX
    944 Turbo/S2
    Testarossa
    Diablo

and more

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 930 has already started to move up. There's a 1975 Turbo going through an expensive professional restoration in San Diego right now.

The real question I have, and seem to disagree with others in this thread, is whether cars like the 300ZX or '80s Camaro IROC/Trans Am were just tacky fads back in the day, or will have a serious collector base. Ditto the Buick Regal GNX, which in anything other than the big engine form was another of GM's embarrassments of the '80s.

The original CRX is an interesting question -- it was really built as a bargain economy car, with a lot of plastic. Collector cars have historically tended to be of enduring quality or exclusive when new -- so the Testarossa seems a better bet.

The muscle cars that have held value tend to be the attractive Shelby Mustangs and Cobras. Plain jane mustangs from the 1960s are still dirt cheap, which suggests the plain jane cars from the '80s and '90s are probably scrap metal/plastic with our sentiment saving them from the crusher.

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I put the CRX, IROC, 300ZX on the list because its virtually impossible to find unmolested examples. I can see a clean low mile CRX Si pulling on a lot of heart strings in a couple decades.

I have to admit that the IROC and the CRX Si have very special places in my memory. If I have the cash to have a 6 car garage in 15-20 years when Im 55-60, I can see me wanting a clean example of each.

I could be wrong. I dunno.. Just trying to use some logic.

Oh...TR will absolutely be a collector car in 15-20. No question in my mind.

11. Fangio8c

Fangio8c Karting

Jun 21, 2009
    1964 - 1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 (especially)... and 1972 - 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000.
    IMHO, currently WAY undervalued. See "Porsche 356 and early 911". AKA sports cars of mass production that had a dramatic increase in value to enthusiasts and collectors.

What makes the GTVs even better than the 356s and early 911s is:
    A. They're Italian.
    B. Build quality, engineering, driving experience, are far superior.
    C. They're Italian (passione!)

:)

12. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#137 REMIX, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The GNX is the superstar of this lineup. NADA "above average" retail on these is north of $100k. Amazing. I would say it's already a collectible. I've owned 2 GNs (bought them new)...and I will likely buy another in the VERY near future even if it means I'll have to pay to store it somewhere.

Anyway, interestingly I got caught up in a lawsuit involving a GNX back around 1988...

Here are some pics I took of #546 (there were only 547 made) on the showroom floor of Darby Buick (long gone) in 1987. This was the next to last one made. Last I heard it's in the NE somewhere with around 1,000 miles on it.

RMX
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Cosworth Twin Cam Vega

Cheap and being beat on, so not too many will be left. Racing engine lineage, rare moment in history where GM made the type of damn the accountant decisions and tried to build a car for a tiny enthusiast market segment. Good looking little cars also.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    +1 on even the regular Grand National.

How the heck did you get into a lawsuit over this?

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #140 tervuren, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    The Mustang was marketed at "secretaries" - and was a car that had a huge percentage of female owners for the day. It was not rare either. I'm going to side on certain Civics being collectible in the years to come...

Heck, I'd like to own a Civic hatch now...

I doubt my car, Porsche 944, will be collectable. I chose it as it likely won't depreciate much more - but I'm not expecting its value to increase - certainly not over what it takes to maintain them.

The Pontiac GXP coupe, I'd lean towards it at least holding a good value.

Nissan Skylines are another car I think will not do poorly, and also the Supra's.

Dodge Viper's have a huge "cool" factor going for them, I've always been surprised at how low the prices on them have been hovering - it may not stay that way.

There aren't a lot of new cars that come out though, that catch my interest. What will make a lot of cars collectible though - will be when government regulations castrates our modern powerhouses. When a new Ferrari has 100HP, a 200HP Civic might look attractive... The issue is whether they ban old cars from the roads or not.

16. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2009
    Arlington
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Being in my 20s now I think a lot of the cars that my friends and I lusted over as kids 10-15 years ago will be the ones that stand the test of time, if the current Barret-Jackson logic will work with my generation as it did with the baby boomers

-the Porsche 928 (I knew so many who had posters of it)
    -Prowler
    -Nissans (to us they somehow escaped the ricey image of Mitsubishi, Honda, and Acura)
    -Supra
    -early Vipers
    -a wild stab but I also think older custom Mustangs like the Saleen could be popular

on the higher end I think the Diablo and Vanquish S will be very hot commodities

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I was never a Japanese car guy till I started doing research on a special weekend use sports car that wouldnt break the bank. This was about 8 years ago.

Looked at Porsches (which I have owned before)
    Older Ferraris (had a 308)
    BMW's (had an M-6)
    Pretty much all the standard choices.
    I chose the NSX. And am still glad I did all these years later.
    "I cant explain it...Its just one of those things". ;)