Need Attourney for BAD Foundation on BRAND NEW House. $70,000 foundation fix | FerrariChat

Need Attourney for BAD Foundation on BRAND NEW House. $70,000 foundation fix

Discussion in 'Texas' started by -FROG-, Feb 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Wanted to post this on F-Chat because I know alot of you guys deal with some big money issues. My family just came into a little money through an inheritance and my sister bought a new house that she dearly loves and supports her family of husband and 2 sons. It has truly been a blessing to have this house for her, but a foundation issue is really making things difficult and the builder SHOULD NOT HAVE LET THIS HAPPEN and NEEDS TO TAKE CARE OF HIS PROBLEM. I'm looking for attorney ideas in the south Austin area, but if any of you have ideas, I would be glad to hear them and pass on the information to her. I see this as a Winning case, but she needs to move on this fast in my opinion. I'm pasting the information below. Thanks in advance guys!

So my Sister just got a brand new house built this past year in October, down South around the Buda/Kyle area by a builder called "Gehan Homes". It's a 3,200sq ft 2 story house so it should have had some special attention taken to the foundation as it is not a small house. Well since November, there have been cracks showing throughout the house and doors are no longer closing properly. The cracks have grown pretty bad over the months and my sister has been trying to work out negotiations with the Gehan builder but they are taking forever and trying to take the cheap way out of the situation and rarely return any calls or emails she sends out.

A 3rd party inspector was brought in to look at the foundation and he (and a few others) estimated it would be a $70,000 job to fix everything. That's how bad the house is! This thing is not even 5 months old mind you... It's very frustrating for her family and the rest of us because this is a major investment for them and it should have been done right the first time. For a "fix" on Gehan's part.. they want to come in and re-do the landscaping around the house and redirect water flow better. This is a $70,000 problem that they are trying to solve with a $3,000 fix. NO THANK YOU!!!

So, do any of you know any reputable Lawyers that you would recommend for taking a case like this? for the most part, this seems like a "no lose" case because other inspectors have been brought in and they agree Gehan was in the wrong and the house needs MAJOR fixes ASAP. My family is not the type to go around "suing" people, trying to get alot of money for things. But my sister is getting robbed here and needs to take the second step for action. THANKS!

2. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    I would suggest getting in touch with the 7 on your side team. When the builder finds out their reputation is on the line, they'll change in a jiffy. The Austin market is still too going strong, so they will be loosing out if they don't fix it.

3. elmani

elmani Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    austin Texas
    Full Name:
    marc b
    Hi Paul
    I promise to help... this is my specialty.. sent u a private message
    take care

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A cracked slab and repair will be forever noted, does she REALLY like it?

Five months old, I'd be looking to bail on the whole deal.......most new slabs are post tension cables and if it's bad, it's really f&^*%*%^d........

Sorry to hear of this.

5. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Yes she does really like it. And to be honest, we have delt with another bad foundation in another house we had in Corpus and when the foundations get fixed now daws, they are fixed for life, so it's really better to have a slab that has been repaired because they become bullet proof.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As you mention, some cracking, small ones, might be part of the cure out, but doors not closing?

Although as green as the studs come these days, that might not even be related....

Good luck man, sorry the hear the "new home stress"...been there!

7. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Best guy I know is Brian Woods--has specialized in foundation litigation for many years. I have NO affiliation with him and am not a lawyer but several friends have used him successfully in San Antonio. He also works in Austin. Apparently, has a solid reputation for this type work and has cleared up many, many problems caused by foundation issues--both with title insurance companies and builders/builder's insurance companies. You can find him listed in San Antonio and possibly in Austin. Hope this is of help to you--and more importantly, all is resolved quickly and successfully.

8. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    Thank you.

9. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Next time hire a construction manager who watches these kind of "cheats" that all these sleezy house builders do... how is the HVAC system, is the unit leaning on the side of the house or is it level? That is another major way they cheat when they build homes... (I won't even go into the 1 bys they use in interior walls instead of 2X4s and 2X6s for exterior walls...)