250 GTO 4675 To be auctioned at RM MONACO | Page 3 | FerrariChat

250 GTO 4675 To be auctioned at RM MONACO

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by theowinstone, Feb 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    So, the question begs, what would you/did you offer? Has that changed and what would you offer, today?

George

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I didn't offer anything as this one doesn't interest me. I would be interested in a good Series I and I think as the World Wide Crisis worsens, and I think it will, I'll get the chance to buy one at a reasonable price. If I don't that's fine too.

Relatively I think this car is worth about 40% of what a Great Series 1 is worth.

This is simply what I think. I've been right and I've been wrong but over the years I've been lucky enough to buy many thing I Love at Prices I felt were fair.

All of this "Beyond Closed Doors", "Old Boys Club", "You'll never have a chance like this again as long as you live" gets old fast.

Best

3. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I am good friends with a collector who has many very rare race cars 1 of 3, 1 of 2, 1 of 9, 1 of 1, etc. This collector likes to say "simply having the opportunity to buy such a rare car, is something that cannot be passed up easily, since if you miss your chance to buy it now, you might never be able to add it to your collection ever. The price is often times an afterthought if it is a truly a must add vehicle." Now this guy does not own every single car on his hit list, but he has bought enough of them at the bottom, middle, and the top of the market that proves he lives by this theory IMO. I am sure there are other collectors out there that do the same. So I think that in some cases "You'll never have a chance like this again as long as you live" "could" be applicable. Is "could" something you want to risk having a complete collection on? This is a decision all collectors are faced with all the time whether buying cars, art, coins, etc.

Erik

4. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I'd ask you if 4293GT is one of those you say is available, but checking my statements it looks like I'm at least a few dollars short at the moment.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Stan offered me that one for 35K in 1972. I was wrong to pass.

6. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    I know, he has a very nice collection

7. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Would've been ~100,000% ROI in 38 yrs. Not bad!!!

(excluding sevice and restoration of course)

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #58 of2worlds, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Didn't Henry Manney III offer his GTO (5111) for sale in R&T Magazine for about 5k? That would have been the year before in 1971...

Interestingly Jean Guichet had some good success with 5111 in 1963 and 1964. Just to tie it all up he ran 4675 to.
    CH

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not sure about 5K. The lowest I remember was about 6.5K but that included a trailer.

This one had the best race record.

As for ROI keep in mind about that time Bill bought DOS for about 50K...

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So you feel we have alot more correction coming, maybe catching property prices?

Kind of strange to think about, 20-30 years from now they may be scratching their heads trying to figure out why people paid so much for these collector cars. Most of the people who remember these cars in the early sixties will be to old to collect. Alot of these classic 60's collectors helped push up the prices on all classic automobiles including pre war as it became the thing to do. The key group that seems to have started this car collector boom were adults watching car racing in the 1960's. What happens when they are out of the market. I don't think the kids will be as determined and new money will find something else to buy. Pure gasoline motors may almost be gone by then?

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And a set of wire wheels if I remember correctly.
    I tried to convince my old man to buy it but alas... Never had the heart to tell him what they ended up fetching

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #62 Napolis, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    I agree.

Time is the only commodity.

Enjoy your life every day.

Air Traffic Controllers in Spain have a very strong Union.

They can retire at 52.

135 of them earn 600Ke per year.
    713 of them earn between 360K and 540Ke per year.

The Spanish Prime Minister ears 92K e per year.

The average salary is 18K per year in Spain.

Slowly people are realising that this can not go on.

I do see a Hard Rain Falling.

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Still it was a lot of money at the time. Might have been 15k as that would have been THREE Corvettes! Funny how what seems like yesterday is now the better part of 40 years on.
    CH

14. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Remember the improvised front bumper that had been installed on the car?

I wanted $28M when I sold mine. Didn't get anywhere near that, of course. :)

15. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Sad reality....

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't think I've seen that bumper. Any photos available?
    While I'm sorry you didn't get that number just being a steward of such a car is a treat beyond my imagination.
    Best.

17. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    To chime in on this, this is a real truth. For those of us who follow cultural trends in particular demos, young people don't follow cars in anywhere near the levels they did in the 50's, 60's & 70's. Part of the value of these cars (vintage in general) is their mass cultural appeal. Another part is the easy, cheap fueling that makes them usable. Gas will be here for ages but given the already diminishing retail business it will NOT be easily found, nor cheap. That will make a lot of vintage cars into paperweights.

This car and other Ferraris will likely be exceptions to these oncoming rules. It's a "brand name" vintage, purchased by those who will never have trouble gassing it up for a spin. The Pontiac version of the GTO, however...

18. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is there any way to accurately put a dollar amount on a near perfect Series 1?

...and on the side, what would a pristine 166 ask in a reasonable economic climate?

_J

19. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    This is true. I remember from a few years ago, when I attended our annual British car show here in Vancouver, in the Bentley section, there were a group of owners standing next to their cars (of the pre and post war era) and I overheard their conversation as I walked by echoing these same sentiments. One of them said "...whose going to buy my car when I die? Kids today couldn't care less about these oldtimers...". I felt like chiming in and saying that I care! ;)

20. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    No photos--quoting from memory. It was a crude arrangement of pipes that formed a bumper.

You are quite right about stewardship!

21. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George

Half of that would still be a fortune. ; )

George

22. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    thank you for the insight. For myself, the "You'll never have a chance like this..." just sends the radar into overdrive. It usually makes me realize that I don't need whatever it is since I've obviously done without it for so long.

George

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Jim,
    how true. The first wave of change will be the auto companies not being able to pay inflated salaries any more. The public sector used the big three for benchmarking their pay scales in the past. Those numbers didn't work for the auto companies and they can't work for govt's.
    There is a reluctance, though, for the public sector to admit this. ; )

George

24. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  25. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands