Another Fchatter not held in high regard | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Another Fchatter not held in high regard

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MBFerrari, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wow, mad props to Daniel!!!

PDG

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    A few users understand exactly why I did not respond right away. There were 6 pages full of opinions when only one side of the story was told and the other party wasn't mentioned. I don't agree with shoot first ask questions later and I feel that is what has happened in this case. I was shocked to see the responses generated from one picture and a post. I don't appreciate any type of threat or judgement made about me especially since I have contributed to this forum and many of its sponsors.

Anyway, of course I have my side of the story. Many false statements have been made. However I don't feel discussing private transactions on an open forum is appropriate nor entertaining. That being said I will mention that I have been on FC for 9 years and have done a few transactions with great results. So I certainly wouldn't have held this wheel for 6 months (3 of these months with no deposit) if my intentions were to just get rid of this wheel.

I don't agree with what has transpired here and since many of you, in my opinion, seem to assume guilty until proven innocent then by all means please feel free to delete my username and all my posts.

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Let's all take a step back and let things cool off for a while... Greg has responded, and it's time for he and Matt to take this offline...

Mike

4. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Reopened at the request of the OP.

Mike

5. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #205 MBFerrari, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Greg,

I have tried to take this off line on multiple occassions with you via MULTIPLE communication lines.

You are commenting on only one side of the story being told, yet you had every opportunity to do so here, or to do it with me via another channel, yet you didn't. What did you expect?

I surmise that if you were so keen on selling the wheel and thought you could have done so, then when I told you after the first month I couldn't purchase the wheel and you should go ahead and do so, that you would have. You keep bringing up the time you held onto the wheel, when I TOLD you to go ahead and sell it after the first month when I realized I couldn't do so at that time, and I AM THE ONE who brought up the idea of paying for the wheel over time and you were nothing but gracious to me the whole time, yet now you act as if you didn't want to do it that way --- then why did you agree to do that to begin with since you apparently think the wheel is now suddenly worth $800 because some other Fchatter has listed a set for an exhorbantly high price?

"Anyway, of course I have my side of the story. Many false statements have been made. However I don't feel discussing private transactions on an open forum is appropriate nor entertaining." - 308GTS

No offense but your retort is falling on deaf ears when I have attempted to contact you m u l t i p l e times via private means, and without going public with your last private email to me prior to me bringing this entire subject up on Fchat, you essentially told me tough **** and to go sell it on ebay if I didn't like it because you disagreed with the professionals who repair wheels for a living.

Let me know if that is incorrect, and please tell me exactly which "False" statements were made.

I told Daniel that I will give you until tomorrow evening to do the correct thing and return my money, otherwise I will sell it to him and be done with it - he has won a lifelong customer for doing so...and is indeed a standup guy.

MB

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    "Decisions are made by those who show up." Dont show up, dont expect any support. And I dont think the "lier lier, pants on fire" defense is going to make anyone buy evasion.

7. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Just another day on Fchat!

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Best course of action at this time......

The seller does not dispute the condition of the wheel, which is deplorable. And he sits back lurking over the thread just loving the attention. Given multiple chances to offer compromise.

Not the kind of person who belongs in a high-end car forum. More consistant with ricer behavior.

9. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Matt
    After reading through all the posts(mostly because I am bored ) I have to say that not asking for a picture was a mistake on your part. I have found over the years that everyone has a different view of what "good" condition is, especially when it comes to old cars. It is very hard to tell from your pic whether that wheel is usable or if it is just cosmetically flawed. In any case, you already have a legitimate offer to make you whole(thanks to Daniel) which kind of supports the point made by the seller, that the wheel was in fact worth what he sold it for, even though that wheel didn't work for you. I have to say that a guy that gives you a payment plan on buying a part(which is a complete joke btw-I would have told you to take a hike for wasting my time) doesn't seem to me, to be a guy looking to deceive you. FWIW, I have been in many a similar situation and have dealt with it in much the same way the original seller suggested, so quite frankly I really can't empathise with you, as I feel you have just as much culpability as the seller.

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Absolutely not!!! He asks for that so the Google will not find this thread the next time he tries this on someone else!

11. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I respect your position but I must disagree. The seller could have resolved this in a heartbeat but decided to be difficult rather than just deal with the buyer in a timely fashion.

The seller let this get out of control.

12. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Exactly. Buyer gave seller ample time to respond outside of the public forum, to protect his name. Seller watched the thread and ignored his opportunity to keep this private and then whines when he is outed, comes in here, calls the forum bullies, accuses the buyer of lying,says his side hasn't been told, but then refuses to tell it and wants to be given anonymity again by having his username and posts deleted. This is not the honorable way to handle this, but there is one person to blame for this and it ain't MB.

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Interesting Take, let me respond if I may.

First of all, not asking for a picture was clearly a mistake, and that will never happen again, because I refuse to recieve an item that is unsafe when someone claims it is in "good" condition, and I agree our definition of "good" is apparently different, I will let the pictures answer that question. I don't classify that as "good" but perhaps you do.

Secondly, Daniel can step in here, but the fact that he is paying me for the wheel has NOTHING to do with the worth of it, but simply that he is a big enough guy to cover for someone else's screw job. It has nothing to do with supporting the value of the wheel, and if it did, then WHY WOULDN'T THE SELLER JUST TAKE THE WHEEL BACK AND RETURN MY MONEY (with ME paying the shipping back????????????????????????) He claims it is worth $800 so he stands to make out like a bandit in this if that is the case correct?

He didn't have to tell me to go screw off to buy the wheel on time, because before I even brought that idea up, I told him TO GO AND SELL THE WHEEL to someone else anyway, and if he still had it in six months to give me a call back.

You may feel I am just as responsible as the seller, but the BIGGER POINT is why if he has such a valuable item would he not take it back when I offered to pay to ship it back to him? He would be out nothing and could go sell the wheel for $800 right?

Thoughts?

MB

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My offer doesn't substantiate, or discredit the value of the product as a usable spare. It was simply to help a friend (yes, a friend, and fellow Fchatter) our of a bind. My offer to him should have been via PM, because I don't need/want any Fchat visibility in this issue. My mistake, and I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't do it all via PM.

I will refrain from any further posts here, except to show a picture (hopefully!) of my new end-table in a few months time.

p.s. That doesn't mean I won't watch the whole thing unfold!

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    May I suggest a new slogan then for RA:

All New, All Original, All Genuine........except for this one wheel

16. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Daniel,

Don't think you can get away THAT easily... we're all in this together now.

You did a great thing...a NICE thing...and you know what? There's nothing wrong with people knowing you did something nice..

I would say you just went up a bazillion notches on my respect meter...

But, you're already nearly at the top.. and have been.

mike

17. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    LOL

Actually, I like:

All New, All Original, All Genuine, All Class...

Mike

18. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Guys what you have to remember here is that this was not a stranger to stranger transaction but an F-chatter to F-chatter transaction, if we cant trust each other then who can we trust.

19. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    +1000

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have to agree. Further I believe the buyer should be able to expect a product in usable condition. It may be true he did not protect himself to the greatest degree by not requesting evidence of that, but he should not have to. Not doing so on the part of the buyer does not relieve the seller of his responsibility to be fair and honest.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #221 NeuroBeaker, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Agreed.

Early on, there were multiple FChatters calling for any sort of comment from the seller to the effect that it was either going to be dealt with, that negotiations weren't yet done, or with the elucidation of the counter viewpoint... such a statement wasn't forthcoming and the buyer had heard nothing further, despite multiple thread views and invitations to speak, so we assumed that "try eBay" was effectively the seller's final word on the issue.

What other conclusion could the community draw when the other viewpoint was completely withheld? Even now, the other viewpoint still hasn't been presented - instead we got a post that expressed disgust at the community at large for requesting that this issue be addressed, and an allegation of untruths told (without elaboration). I don't think we're unreasonable at this stage to view that as unsatisfactory.

Andrew.

22. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    First we try, then we trust.

Anyone with an email address can get registered. So, that's not a terribly high barrier to entry. And, you have to admit that a Ferrari community would be a seemingly attractive place to come if you're trying to scam.

But, the longer one has established themselves herein, and if there are actually real world relationships involved (if not directly, then through contacts), the more comfortable you can be. I'd never recommend getting too comfortable, though, unless you become regular trading partners. Even then, things sometimes go sideways.

CW

23. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Daniel...Can you give me a price on a new respect meter. Mines broken....you bent the pin.

Lane

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    OK, but what are the criteria for being an F-Chat'er?

1. Internet connection
    2. A PC
    3. 2nd grade English or better (except in P&R)

There are some very forthright and helpful people on this board, but unless Rob has started doing background checks on 74,000 registered users I think you have to approach any significant transaction with due diligence.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I said it before, this nausea seems to be the norm on Ebay, but this is a *community* and it's that fact that caused so many of us to climb out of our prams - A fly-by-night newbie would be long gone, but Greg's been around a long time, was offered multiple opportunities to do the right thing (*prior* to being named) and/or at least present his side of the story.

He didn't, even though we knew he was reading the thread. That's unacceptable and why Matt eventually decided to call him out on it in public. Daniel's offer, while amazingly kind and good for the community is irrelevant to the harm that's been done.

I suggested it earlier, but maybe we need a sticky in the ad's section listing "shady" sellers - But only if you upset the community at large do you get black balled in such a harsh (and public) fashion.

Cheers,
    Ian