Bob Bardolia in South Africa | FerrariChat

Bob Bardolia in South Africa

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by naparsei, Jan 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Does anyone have any information on him? He was early (perhaps the original) owner of my '69 365GTC. He died in the early 1970s in a BMW in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. I believe my car was originally sold in Italy (or at least by an Italian dealer). According to the subsequent owner, he was an "impresario" by trade.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Alex,

I'm a little closer to the source, maybe I can look around a little for you. Was he living in Rhodesia or in South Africa? Did the car ever come to Africa, or was it in Italy with the owner residing in Africa?
    If you have any more details let me know, I'll see what I can come up with.

3. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Jack,
    Thanks for the offer. The car was definitely in South Africa from the early/mid 1970s until around 2005, when it came to the US. It was completely restored by Viglieti Motors (I have the exact name somewhere, but I am sure you recognize what I am trying to say since they are the agents in SA) by the PO. Bardolia was the owner previous, but I have no information about him, so there is a gap between when the car sold new (Motor Spa, Rome - now in Modena) and when the PO bought - a gap of roughly 6 years. The only clue I have right now is what I mentioned above - it was definitely Rhodesia, though.

I really appreciate anything that comes up. I have also contact Viglietti - and while they remember the car, that's the extent of their help thus far.

Best,
    Alex

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    ?

5. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    I recall years ago that Ferrari ownership in Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) was among the highest per capita in the world. Most of these cars were kept in South Africa.

Due to exchange controls the many prosperous white farmers had no safe place to put their earnings, so they bought the most expensive cars available and drove them to safety across the border. The condition of Zimbabwe today vividly demonstrates their wisdom.

At the time I was responsible for the investments of one of the largest insurers in the country. I was sorely tempted to indulge, but unfortunately automobiles were not a qualified investment for insurance reserves.

6. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Fair enough. I didn't explain as clearly I could, which I should. And I abused the word "definitely."

The car was originally blue. Mr. Jaffa bought the car from Bob Bardolia prior to 1974. In 1974, the car was painted dark orange. Mr. Jaffa bought the car in Rhodesia.

Some time between 1974 and 1989, Mr. Jaffa moved to South Africa. In 1989, the car was taken off the road, painted blue during the restoration which occurred from roughly 1989 to 2004.

In the 1974-1975 time frame, Bardolia supposedly died in a BMW accident (car).

Between 1969 and 1973/1974, the car got to Rhodesia from Italy. I don't know if Mr. Bardolia is responsible for that, or not.

Any info about the car or its prior owners is appreciated. I have had contact w/ Mr. Jaffa, but the information he was able to provide me, while extraordinarily helpful, was limited.

Thanks,
    Alex

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Alex,

I'll ask around, but as you may suspect, getting information in the nowadays Zimbabwe is not very high on their list of priorities, even if that information is still kept.

I do however have some car-friends who lived in Rhodesia previously, and you'd be surprised how close-knit the car-enthusiast world really was there.

I know the Viglietti's well, they are not far from me, but it seems that you have exhausted that alley? Do you remember who you spoke with? Carlo would be the best source. I'll ask him.

The people who owned these cars back then are scattered all over the world, with their cars often driven accross the border in a way to take some of their wealth with. There's not much left there.

I suspect though that your car is LHD if it was delivered new in Italy? That would make it unusual for these parts.

How about some pics?

Best,

Jack.

8. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #8 naparsei, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, Jack.

I have emailed w/ Carlo. I think the car is unforgettable from their perspective, since it was at the dealership for over a decade while they restored it.

The car is LHD.

I will try to get some better pictures, but this is what I have on this PC.

All help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Originally Blue Caracalla with beige interior.
    Delivered and sold new in Italy, not South Africa.
    Mr. A. M., we have corresponded already in the past.
    You have my email.

Marcel Massini

10. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Marcel,

The OP wrote that the car was sold new by Motor SpA in Rome, now in Modena. Car went from Italy to Rhodesia, then to South Africa.

11. seth777

seth777 Guest

Feb 2, 2010
    My name is Seth Bardolia, I am the only grandson of Bob Bardolia, everything you say is correct. Can you tell me the reason that you require information about him?

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hi,

He's just trying to assemble the complete history of the car, in the photo.

Thanks for posting. If the small circle beside his name is "off" he's not logged in, see how yours and mine glow 'green'?

Anyway you can 'click' on his name and leave a Private Message by this system if you want to. He'll get it next time he's on here.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather but sounds like a interesting guy!!
    Alan

13. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seth,
    Thanks for joining and responding. Your grandfather owned a '69 Ferrari that came into my ownership last year. I have traced the history back to the man who bought the car from your grandfather.

Any relevant information you can give me about him would be great. I am interested from the perspective of the history of the car, and I'm not looking for personal details. I am most interested in knowing if he originally the car new or if he bought it from someone used. This would have been in 1969 or the very early 1970s.

If your grandfather bought the car from someone, I would love to know their name and when the transaction took place. Also, if you have any photos of the car or your grandfather that you wouldn't mind sharing - that would be awesome. Any information about the car would be greatly appreciated.

The members here in the F-chat community are pretty interesting people, and are united by a love of Ferraris and their histories. From what little I know, it sounds like your grandfather would fit right in.

Thanks,
    Alex

14. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Seth,
    I have sent you a PM (private message). Click on UserCP on the banner near the top of the page and it will take you to an area where you can access your "in box." Thank you very much for this information.

Regards,
    Alex

15. Baumberger Arto

Apr 1, 2012
    [hello naparsei

I was searching for information on the whereabouts of the Bardolia Family in the internet, when I came across your question in the Ferrari chat.
    If you are still interested to learn about Bob Bardolia, who apparently owned your Ferrari previously, I may be of some help. I noticed, that Bobs grandson has been in touch with you, but I doubt he ever met with his grandpa. I knew Bob quite well back in 1975/76 as I was was working as a manager in one of his Hotels (The Queens in Salisbury) when he died in that car accident. Bob loved booze and he was driving drunk in his BMW. If you want to know more of him , send me a message on [email protected]
    regards Baumberger QUOTE=naparsei;139288583]Does anyone have any information on him? He was early (perhaps the original) owner of my '69 365GTC. He died in the early 1970s in a BMW in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. I believe my car was originally sold in Italy (or at least by an Italian dealer). According to the subsequent owner, he was an "impresario" by trade.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex[/QUOTE]

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    35+ years later, information and stories are traded on far-flung continents.....
    (shakes head in wonderment).....
    sometimes the internet is a thing of awe.....

17. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    On the subject of GTC's I'm searching for some missing history on 330GTC # 11079.

In 1974 it was purchased in Rome and shipped back to USA by Joe Philips, he sold it in 1975 to Chris Waldron Motors in Boca Raton, Florida. At the time Blue Sera with beige leather. There the trail ends until 1989 when it turned up in Switzerland at Garage Foitek, by then black/black. Any help filling the 1974-1989 hole most appreciated.

18. Ferrari-Bob

Ferrari-Bob Rookie

Jul 11, 2015
    Hi Alex,

Mr Bardolia is my true Uncle (my fathers brother). I was hoping if possible, you could share any information you have on the car. Do you still own it? Where is it now? I would very much like to know any details regarding the car.

There's a lot of history on this page, reading the posts are interesting and intriguing. Its amazing I stumbled upon this thread.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Ferrari-Bob

19. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ferrari-Bob -
    I do still own the car. I am not sure what information you are looking for, but I would be happy to share pictures and historical information. I believe your uncle was the original owner of the car, buying it in Italy, and then having it shipped to Rhodesia, where he drove it for several years before selling it to buy a BMW. It appears he led an extremely interesting life.
    Best,
    Alex

20. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    I have a file note of this car being advertised for US$125,000 by Gary Drenik in Italy. Unfortunately I didn't record when

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Interesting that three separate people have made their first posts in this thread.

22. Lee Bardolia

Lee Bardolia Rookie

Jul 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hi Alex,

Interesting reading all the comments. I am Bob’s son.

I remember being taken to crèche with the car. I made my Dad cringe often,as I used the bonnet as a slide.

My mum told me that they picked the car up in Beira in Mozambique, as it was shipped from Italy. They drove it from Beira to Salisbury in 6 hours. At that time, this was pretty quick. She says he sold it as there was only one Italian guy that could service it in Rhodesia at the time. Also the taillight had been smashed outside the Hotel and my dad seemed irritated at it being damaged.

Arto.... my dad had dropped me off at a birthday party...in the afternoon. On his way home he crashed the BMW.

23. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Lee,

Thank you for reaching out.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, the world - and the internet - work in mysterious way. I read this posting on my phone shortly (within a few hours) of visiting the Ferrari factory for a tour.

I always assumed your father was the original owner but it is nice to have additional circumstantial evidence to support the claim.

I am sorry to hear about your father; the gentleman he sold the car to told me one reason for that sale was that Bob was concerned about how fast he drove the Ferrari.

The taillights now after the restoration are on very good shape but those parts are hard to by (because the plastic crazed and the already Tim bulbs become dimmer) and are now expensive (originals or high quality repros).

I have enjoyed owning the car tremendously. It’s an amazing vehicle. If you would like, I can send you a photo of the car today. Although it is registered in my home state, I still run the original license plates (SA I think though, not Rhodesia).

Best,
    A

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What an AMAZING thread!!!!