1963 GTO Replica | FerrariChat

1963 GTO Replica

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Jamie H, Jan 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Wonder what THE history is .ROFL.

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    BLUE seats?!

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #4 El Wayne, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    A 330 was sacrificed to make this replica? Makes me sad. But it is indeed a great recreation.

5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    In some original cars, yes.

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You mean not all were black seats with blue inserts and black piping?

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #8 JazzyO, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    With nearly 400K Dollars in my pocket, I think I'd shop for something authentic. I bet I'd come home with an interesting real Ferrari too.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #10 JazzyO, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    I think most of the replicas with this kind of build quality get bought by people with plenty of of authentic Ferraris already. Personally, I could see myself owning a replica of an open Ferrari racer (196S/246S, 250TR) as a track toy as the real deal is just completely out of reach and I wouldn't mind finding out more about 4-wheel drifting... But it could not replace my authentic Ferraris.

I should perhaps point out that the above does not mean I condone chopping Ferraris for building replicas. But if the damage is already done... I quite like the 250TR built for Innes Ireland in the early '90ies that's been on sale at Oakfields for ages. Also expensive, though. http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/4100_dealers2_results.asp?next=4100_dealers2_results.asp&lCarID=1791147&lCurrency=2&dealerid=1337

[EDIT: reading the ad properly this time, I see that it actually has a 330 engine. For this sort of money, you would at least expect a 250 engine in there... Hmm - liking it a lot less now]

Onno

10. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #11 246tasman, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Hi Onno
    4 wheel drifting? Get yourself an old Formula Ford and make sure it's properly set up - very affordable and you'll teach yourself real driving and have a load of fun!

The Oakfields TR is very far from a real TR copy which is why I suspect it hasn't sold for so long. You'd never get FIA papers for it which is a fair measure of how close a replica is. I personally like well prepared hotrod Ferraris which mimic the classic body styles but they are a different proposition to a good replica. I really want to know what a TR is like to race so will be building mine with an exact copy (customer) TR chassis and everything else correct - I have an original body taken from a 315S. FIA papers are then easy and the car is eligible for many (of course not all) historic events.

I think a 330 engined GTO should be very good, but of course the real 4 litres had the Tipo 163 engine which is very special and considerably smaller and lighter than the 330GT Tipo 209. The other big deal in a replica (assuming the chassis/suspension is right) is the magnesium 5 speed gearbox, and most don't have this.

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Came as standard fitting

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The nose tip is too long and the fenders lines and size are all wrong imo

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Excellent advice, Will, thanks! I just might do that.

That would explain it.

Very interesting. Will you be using only the original 315S body or a donor Ferrari chassis as well?

Onno

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    while not taking a public stance on this car, and assuming they are being truthful......it does NOT utilize a 330 chassis, according to their description:

..."The chassis is an exact copy of the original GTO, built from scratch by Chris Lawrence using the correct GTO spec [smaller diameter and lighter weight than the production cars] oval tubing...."

...."using a bespoke chassis..."

..."Do not confuse the construction of this car with a re-body on a chopped down 250 GTE chassis...."

15. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    looks like an incredible replica to me

16. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I don't know, to me something is not right with proportions.

anyways, in my opinion that's asking way to much money for what it is, even if building it must have been a lot of work.

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    400k car and they have a FRAM oil filter??

Makes me wonder what other shortcuts they have taken if they are talking about how accurate this is....

Just sayin....

PDG

18. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    The Chris Lawrence chassis were indeed built from scratch (well, certainly some of them)and I have discussed the oval tube bending and rolling by the man who did it for for Chris. The round tubes were bent first (sand method) and then rolled to oval.

19. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    The chassis will be scratch built as there is no donor chassis which is correct. This is my point about most of the TR replicas. Once the chassis is done PF coupe parts of the correct era provide the suspension, brakes, steering, gearbox, axle, and engine (which has to be fitted with the 128LM or F heads & 6 carbs).
    The 315S body has the pontoon fender type nose and cooling cutouts but not the scallops behind the wheels.

Will

20. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Quite a project, Will! I hope you will keep us posted. Best of luck.

Onno

21. 365gt2+2

365gt2+2 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    with the wife
    Full Name:
    Norman B'stard
    This isn't aimed directly at Ivferraripilot, more in response to the oft heard/read comment on this forum that he repeated..
    I have never really got to grips with the ability to be able to accuratley judge, from a photo, the intricate differences between 36 cars that were initially handbuilt over 2 years, raced, crashed, repaired by a completly different artist, subsequently restored, then restored again, and copied hundreds of times...
    I have spent time in pit lanes, historic racing and track days, I'm no expert on Ferraris (German cars are my bag) but I have seen, heard and spoken to owners of both genuine and replicas... I get the impression that the owners of genuine cars often admire the replicas As they are more 'tribute cars'.. And the majority of replica owners don't bull**** that their particular Ferrari chassied cars is anything more than what it really is (unlike converted 260z owners) And, more often than not, do own what can be deemed 'a real F-car'

one thing that nearly everyone of them I have spoken to agreed on though was that no two 'proper' GTOs are the same.. Astheticly or physically and there are experts who can tell them apart (and recite the chassis number) from a picture...
    So the questionbegs an answer.. How can an expert tell which is which (what are the most obvious differences) and how can the layman judge that a car does or doesn't look like a real one?

22. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    If you'd lived with a real GTO in the garage for many years, as I had, and seen all of the other genuine GTOs at various times, It is very easy to spot a fake from a mile off. Only the Favre was about right.
    Invariably something "smells" wrong, and although all 36 originals differed in some way, the repros are always spottable.
    I guess its like a female dog (bxxxh!) who would recognise another identical pup placed in the litter as not being her own, whereas to us they all look the same. Don

miurasv likes this.
  23. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Hey Don, you're British, and we still call female dogs *****es without inane censorship. I wonder how this will appear when I post it?
    Will

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I fully agree, but not on those Favres. Especially the early ones look like anteaters. Best wishes, Kare