Saleen S7 | FerrariChat

Saleen S7

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ryankjb, Dec 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

What is the consensus on these? It seems to me that it would be a fantastic car, especially the later TT models, but they received little attention when they were released. This could be because the Enzo came out around the same time, and it was overshadowed, but as far as American cars go, to me, they don't get much better. The looks, the sound, the power, it seems to have it all and yet they are relatively unknown, and extremely rare to see anything written about them. Is this because of low production, or is there something else about them that pushes people away?

Has anyone driven one, or had a ride in one? I just want to know more about them.

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    They are VERY fast, but they are the Viper of the super-exotic world. They make fantastic race cars... as proven by their wins in Europe, and the US. On the street, it makes an F40 look tame and supple. (which itself is like driving a school bus until you hit the throttle). It's a beautiful car, and sounds amazing.

Even with all the alcantera/ suede, and cushioning inside, it's still crude. Gearing is also silly in 5th/6th where there isn't much accell left even with the pair of turbos. (I haven't been in a n/a S7).

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I can't help as I've never been in one. Other than at car shows I've only seen one driving once, in Dallas. I do love them.

I never thought them to be American Muscle though. American Exotic seems more apropos.

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
  5. Execproducer

Execproducer Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    South OC
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Steve Saleen was my neighbor when I lived in California. He used to have a red S7 in his garage. When he would drive down the street, it was awesome!

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Looks awesome, this car perhaps didnt get the media exposure it deserved.

7. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Including race cars, a little over 80 were sold. The Race pedigree is definitely there. I think in time they will be something similar to the Cobra 427's of 40 years ago.

8. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That is my opinion of them too, it will be a classic.

So, a little more than 80...that's a lot less than I thought.

9. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    one of my favorite cars of all time. Its like the F40 in a way. Its all business plus has some serious race history.

Ill take 2. One black competition with black wheels and a regular TT in blue cause its pretty :D

10. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    You could call Jonathan Peck at RUF in Addison Texas, one of the sponsors here.
    He has been around several of them, and Mike Luongo, a great Ferrari/Lambo tech at RUF, has worked on several of them also.

11. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks, but unfortunately, I'm not in the market for one. I wouldn't want to take up any of their time with a call that has no promise of a sale. However, if they are members here, I would like to hear what they think. I am just interested in them, and good information from ordinary people (non-journalists) who have experience with them is hard to find.

12. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    such an amazing car

but seems like there are more TT versions popping up than N/A ones
    I need one for a customer by the way if anyone has one available or knows of one

13. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Awesome pics, Isaac.

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    FASTEST piece of sh** i've ever driven.

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    LOL, thats one way to describe it, indeed

16. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I love those turn signal stalks, straight from the Focus!

17. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm amazed at how big it is on the outside and small in the cockpit.

18. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The guy who bought the first one and since has upgraded to the TT version lives in town, so I've seen it serveral times in the flesh. It is crazy exotic and beautiful. If memory serves me it's like 2,800lbs with 550hp (original version) and now I think the TT has 750hp or something. It has more street presence than you can imagine. Very cool!

19. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
  20. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    thats the first real close up ive ever seen (the picture of the center console).

So its hard to understand the comments on how awful the quality is on it. Anyone have anymore close ups on things like that?

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #22 nthfinity, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's the S5 Raptor concept. As much as people 'complained' about it's design... compared to the newest supercars coming out, it's definitely ahead of the curve. No official word if it will be built as far as I know. But definitely a strong possibility.

It's not that the quality is bad; its that it isn't a refined street car. Akin to Mclaren SLR's being horrible to drive, but expound upon that. It's the Viper of the super exotic world... get a ride/ drive one back to back with a Ferrari, or Corvette for that matter.

Here are a few more images :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    After seeing one in person I question as to weither or not Steve Saleen was building a Real Supercar or a kitcar.

I thought it was just god awful!. Its sad when Id rather take an early Diablo over one of those.

Heck id rather take a Viper!.

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    There are a lot of kit cars around. I never once thought "Kit car." However, after seeing many GT1, and prototype race cars... the S7 is more like a street interpretation of that. You could say "unfinished" race-turned-street car.... but kit car?

24. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Its very kit carish from my personal experiences you could say the Mosler Photon and Saleen S7 are factory built kitcars. Same could also be said about the Ultimate Aero which used to build replicas.

The qauiltiy of these cars are about as good as a Factory Five GTM or an Ultima GTR. I have seen many tube chassis based kitcars that where identical to the S7.