MotorTrend 2010 GT500 Super Snake vs GT-R drag race video | FerrariChat

MotorTrend 2010 GT500 Super Snake vs GT-R drag race video

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Dragster, Dec 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
  2. d00t

d00t Rookie

Dec 9, 2009
    Bay Area, California
    Not really surprising!!

3. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    If Motor Trend knew how to drive, it would be closer. I wouldn't expect the SS to start gaining on the GTR until about 60 or 70 mph anyway.

Any RWD 720 hp car REALLY needs to warm up the rears before launching. They really (if telling the truth) were fighting for grip through all of 3rd, and maybe 4th gears. By the look of the video, there wasn't much tire spinning; which is ridiculous.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The driver of the SS has ZERO skill....wow.

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

The Mustang is 1000000000000x better looking.

God the GTR is homely.

RMX

6. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Here we go again.

The Mustang needs slicks. It will run 10s all day.

Get rid of the driver..!!

7. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Kinda what I was thinking. You'd think the Super Snake would be able to pull once it got traction considering it has a 200 whp advantage... Way too much power for the tires they put on it.

8. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Out of the showroom that would be the result. Crying over it wouldn't change anything. And whatever about the driver, throw in tony schumacher for all I care, there is no chance in hell that the SS can beat the GT-R in a 1/4 mile showroom stock. You gotta give that beast a good set of micky thompson ET then we are talking.

9. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Who's crying about it??? Pretty obvious from all accounts that the Super Snake needs help hooking up.

10. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    All this get rid of the driver. From anything I have noticed, the driver and this is a direct quote from a local pro stock champ that runs a mercury capri "The driver factor in a drag race is the least relevant of all the different types of motorsports." Basically my translation of that is that the machine more directly translates whether its a championship contender. I have seen 6 guys doing shakedown runs with an identical pair of 572 big blocked 69 maros. Between all the guys that drove it, there was max difference of 0.3xx seconds between the pro drivers and just the mechanics.

Thats in response to some of the whining about getting rid of the driver, it wouldn't have changed the result at all, and the margin would not be hanged by any significant amount.

What did you think I was talking about?

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That is alot in the 1/4 mile incase you didn't know. 3 tenths is huge if your a drag racer....

12. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Well in the official elimination rounds of course it is. even hundreths matter. But the GT-R won by significantly more than 3 tenths, and honestly smoking off the line like a crazy person won't change much, if anything make it worse. I am sure there are people out there that can do better than that guy but I doubt they can eke out more than 2 tenths better than that run under very similar conditions down that same place.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Pre-heating the tires would help a lot, even into 2nd and 3rd where the car is still fighting for grip with cold tires.

14. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Yes but preheating the tires and spinning off the line are two separate things. I agree the guy could have done better, but honestly without slicks even the standard gt500 has trouble putting the power down. The super snake has a lot more juice than the standard snake. And if I am not mistaken the difference in their tire and rim combo is not significantly different. So I doubt anyone is surprised the guy couldn't give the beans for a while. Doing a quick burnout might have given the guy an extra tenth or two. He needs more than that to flatten the GT-R. Bottom line? SS should come with Slicks optioned right outta the factory.

15. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Is it normal for the GTR to sound like a sewing machine?

16. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yes.

17. ztunelover

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    Ok easy way to define a gtr? It sounds like a central vacuum system. Its loud in a far away sense. And the Gearbox sounds like its being built under you as you drive, every time you shift a gear. It was alarming at first, but amusing after.

18. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Exactly. I'm a huge GTR fan but I was very surprised by this video. Motor Trend looks ridiculous in this video. Around the track, i'm sure we'd have a very close battle but in a straight line the SS should kill the GTR. If they would do a 1 mile race, the hp diff would have come into play. The fact that the SS did not even start to pull hard toward the end of the race is very suspicious. For my money, I'd still take the GTR b/c its what I like, but the SS should destroy this car in a straight line. Terrible video.

19. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Why not put slicks on both cars?
    How about the SS picks any tire it wants and they race in the rain. For whatever reason, the end result is the SS just got smoked by a V6 ...Haha...

20. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Pre-heating street tires = fail

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Wow, what a great post!

22. REMIX

I don't care if it got smoked. The SS has loads more personality than that pig ugly GTR.

Owning the GTR is like having a girl who gives the best BJs in the world except she's 450lbs and hasn't washed her ass crack in a month. Haha.

RMX

23. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    There is a big difference in what looks good and what feels good.
    All you ford fans can be happy...at least you have the prettier of the two cars, even if it is slower then that 450 lb that gives the best BJ's :)

24. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I'm gonna start taking the Chuck Norris facts and replacing them with the Nissan GTR.

If you have a Toyota Prius, the Nissan GTR gets better gas mileage than you. :D

The Nissan GTR can prevent world hunger.

You know whats faster than chuck norris? A Nissan GTR.

25. REMIX

What's uglier than Chuck Norris' intestines? A Nissan GTR.

RMX