F50 crash in Holland | FerrariChat

F50 crash in Holland

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by menoy, Dec 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -Michel-

-Michel- Formula 3

Feb 20, 2007
    Delft
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Driver is oke! His 3 year old son got two broken legs.

2. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thats a shame, glad to hear his son survived but two broken legs is a very horrible injury and one his Father will live to regret no doubt.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No doubt.

Mom will not be pleased.

This reminds us to temper our driving, especially when precious cargo is on board.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Poor F50. Hope the kid will get better soon and wont be afraid of Ferraris.

5. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan

+1

I can't help but not like the guy who did this, crashing an F50 is bad enough, but when you do it and seriously hurt your child at the same time....it's just not acceptable.

6. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I'm sure this guy is much more saddened by what happened than anyone here can even imagine.

I just hope that life will soon be back to normal for the kid and his family.

7. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Lucky they are lucky, poor baby 3 YO his father mut to have thrills...
    F50 it s shame, the car was i perfect condition....

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Feel very sorry for the father and child...breaking your legs is never fun but it's horrible at that age I'm sure.

Anyhow, I'm sure the father feels bad enough already and has learned his lesson.

9. Andreu Tautou

Andreu Tautou Karting

Oct 29, 2009
    56-year old father should be more responsible

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Difficult to argue that one

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What were the details of the accident ?

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Scanned over it this morning, apparently he drove of at the lights and 70m later he was in the trees.

Not sure how much speed can be built in about 55m (assuming a correction, lift off the throttle, then a skid into the trees will take about 15 meters on an A-road) but couldn't have been that much...right?

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #15 joe sackey, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Either way, the impact was severe enough to cause the damage you see in these pics, and break both legs of the child. Pretty serious.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #16 joe sackey, Dec 13, 2009
  15. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    First and foremost I hope his child recovers quickly and I'm glad it did not end worse. The difference between two broken legs and worse is often not much when it comes to an accident like this.

I've always referred to my Carrera GT as the modern version of my F50. Everything that's been written about the CGT's handling characteristics is evident on the F50. It's just that F50s are not as common and not driven nearly as much as CGTs. Under full acceleration or at the limit I would imagine that the F50 would snap as quickly as the CGT has been known to do so. Both cars exhibit tire spin to third gear and under less than ideal conditions both are apt to be a handful.

16. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Wondering if that is post-wreck...maybe they moved it after the fact. I hope so...I hope that wheel didn't flip back over the fender/windshield into that kids lap...

Looks as if the roads were particularly cold that morning...that might explain a wreck to such a degree after only 55 meters.

Shame, and hope the kid heals.

17. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    Only difference is that CGT cage will actually hold up. F50 cage seems to be made out of paper mache.

18. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hence part of the definition of "modern version" of the F50. With driver aids, air bags, reinforced impact/crumple zones, etc. there is no doubt the CGT would hold up better in an accident than the F50.

19. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Unbelieveable pics. Glad to hear the child will be ok.

20. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    Glad to read that both father and child are alive. Physical injuries will heal with time but not sure about the emotional side to it.

Can such a bad wreak ever be restored to its former glory? One workshop told me they restored a 288GTO that snapped into 2 and it went on to win a concours event. Believable?

21. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    +1

22. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    #24 moriaan1, Dec 14, 2009
    I am wondering how Carbon holds over time, this looks serious, driver must be glad he didn't drive faster..
    I remember an accident with dutch importer/ex-collector Frits Kroymans breaking his F1 in 2 pieces...

I hope the child recovers, no matter how or what, as a parent this is your worst nightmare.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #25 Bas, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    just read that a friend of the guy who crashed spoke with him personally.

According to the owner he was barely doing 50kph, he hit something like sand and lost the rear end that way. His son, who celebrated his 3rd birthday just a few days ago has broken both his legs and has a small hairline skull fracture. He's not worried about the F50 at all, he's happy his son is doing ok (...or about as ok as a kid of 3 who just broke 2 legs can be!). He's really shocked he hurt his son this way.

From what I understand the guy is a true enthusiast and brings his Ferrari's to meetings as often as he can. Better than some people who let is sit in a garage with red rope around it!

EDIT:

Just read a post and the wheel indeed came through the windshield and hit the lil' fella. The are supervising his head though.
    Many witnesses told the police he was driving slow, he was behind another car. He's very disappointed with the safety on this car.