Ferrari Cartier Watch Info? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Cartier Watch Info?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by cgperry, Jun 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I cut to the chase and put my Christmas tree up, as I put away the Halloween decorations!

It's a living tree though so no worries about a fire hazard!!!!

It's already gathering presents!

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    So would a few other watch collectors, if they'd found the listing. :)

Check this out: http://www.anchorsupplies.com/Qseiko.htm - especially the bit at the bottom:

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yes it is a common problem. My pusher for the chronograph start/stop broke off and I have attempted to get a replacement pusher for years! The pushers on the Seiko are different and most likely will not fit. However, I'm considering giving it a shot in order to at least seal the watch again. This is my last try, I'm sick of the hassel. As soon as this thing quits, I'm getting a GP 8020. That Cigar cutter is sick. is that for sale as well?

4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #54 P4Replica, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    Hi Brad.
    Thanks for your reply. I may have confused you, by writing in my earlier post 'Seiko 7Axx pusher'. I didn't mean the 3.5mm diameter pushers used on most of the Seiko 7A38-xxxx range. I was actually thinking (to myself) about the larger 4.5mm Ø pushers used on the Seiko 7A38-7000's and 7A38-701x's. Check out the couple of 'rear view' photos in this eBay listing which show them quite clearly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230407528137

They may be round (rather than hexagonal), but I reckon they're the right size and proportions. :)

I had another chat with Nathan last week.
    I've got a scrap Seiko 7A38-7000 gold-tone watch case - with a set of gold-plated 4.5mm Ø pushers (and matching crown).
    Nathan is going to send me his Cartier Ferrari Formula '7A38' chrono' - one with the two missing pushers ....
    .... and I'm going to see (first of all) if these larger Seiko pushers will actually fit (without any modification).
    If they do, then I'll return the watch to him, with them fitted (as a temporary fix), and keep his one good Cartier pusher to use as a pattern, with a view to getting a small batch of repro' Cartier-style 'hex nut' pushers, or pusher covers, made up - in the new year.
    I'll keep you posted of developments.

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#55 Bradwilliams, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    Nice!! Let me know what develops.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENTS-RARE-SEIKO-QUARTZ-CHRONOGRAPH-WATCH-ORIGINAL-BOX_W0QQitemZ200411918313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item2ea97b2fe9

This one looks like a good bet, and its far cheaper. No wonder these watches ended in a legal debacle between ferrari and cartier! Seems to me that they just took japanese parts, licensed cartier to design the aesthetics, and slapped 18k gold plates on the Dials and bands. The box in the picture even looks very similar to mine. Very strange..

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #56 P4Replica, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    That's actually a 7A34-7000, not a 7A38-xxxx of any kind.
    Reason it's going cheap is that they're not very popular with collectors (unlike 7A28's and 7A38's).
    They're a very similar-looking chrono - using the same sub-dial face layout, and 15 Jewel quartz movement ....
    .... but obviously the day / date wheel arrangement / positioning is 'wrong' for a Cartier Ferrari Formula '7A38'.
    So if you were ever to try swapping the movement with that in your watch, there would be additional complications.

There is a whole Seiko 7Axx familiy (of similar chronograph calibres): 7A28, 7A34, 7A36, 7A38, 7A48 and 7A54.

It's a 7A38 that you'd need for spares.

Check out the images in this thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1211997697/1212007006/

It's a scrap watch case from a gold-tone 7A38-7000 like this that I plan to rob the round pushers from.
    Besides, I think the pushers on that 7A34-7000 in your eBay link are of the smaller 3.5mm Ø variety.
    Plus they're only used on 7A34's and 7A48's - not on any 7A38 - I ran a check on Seiko's database. ;)

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I'm intrigued !

Not just by your statement, but how Ferrari / Cartier 'got away with' using Seiko quartz movements, without it being leaked at the time.
    The Seiko 7A38 chrono's were being sold for about 1/4 of the price of the Cartiers, in the late 80's !!
    Any watchmaker / jeweller taking the case-back off would know exactly what he was looking at !

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

So what you're saying is you're taking the pushers to a jeweler and they'll be able to reproduce them?

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #59 P4Replica, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    Not a jeweller's but a precision engineering machine shop. There's quite a few in my town.
    Get them CNC machined in stainless steel, and then send them off for gold plating elsewhere.
    Only thing I haven't yet decided is whether to just to get replacement 'hex nut' caps made up ....
    Or to try to re-design the Cartier pusher so it's a so that the shaft and pusher button are made in one piece.
    It'll depend what I find once I've removed one from Nathan's watch. You do realize how fiddley these things are ?
    The circlips (E clips) that hold the Seiko pushers into their cases are a little over a millimetre across !

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Eek. Well keep me posted. If it works out put me down for one pusher. Sounds like you're going have a monopoly LOL.

11. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #61 P4Replica, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Funny how I wrote all the above. :rolleyes:

Someone sent me a couple of photos of a fairly rare Seiko 7A48 model tonight - a 7A48-7010.
    Never taken much notice of 7A48's before, because I'm not a fan of 'moonphase' chrono's.
    Check out this gallery of photos: http://members.cox.net/watches-2/7A48_7010.html
    Especially the 5th and 6th photos down the page. Get a load of those 'hex nut' pushers !! :eek:

Unfortunately, they were only ever used on this particular model of 7A48. No spares around that I can see.

12. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Maurice,

Great collection you have going there! LOVE IT!

Best,
    James

13. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks James...I'm an avid watch collector..I had another Ferrari Cartier watch that was broken and I brought it to a so called watchmaker and he ruined it even more...still have the trillion or so parts for it :D I also have a Panerai Luminor,a Breitling,a Longines,and various other watches.

14. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Maurice
    Was it a chronograph by any chance, and if so do you have a spare pusher button, as I have lost one off my Chrono? Thanks
    Nathan

15. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    If my memory serves me right, some of these were made by Longines back then but a lot of these watches shared the same platform and cases as well. I'll need to dig deep into my HD to find out more.

16. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    The Longines Ferrari watches preceded the Cartier Ferrari Formula, and were totally different, especially in size, and did not share platform or cases.
    Nathan

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #68 P4Replica, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    When I wrote this particular statement, back in late November, I wasn't quite in 100% possession of the facts:
    Cartier Ferrari Formula (Day/Date Quartz) chronographs were actually built with (signed) Ferrari Cal. 531 movements. :cool:

However, other than minor cosmetic differences between the anti-magnetic shield plate and +ve battery terminal ....
    These are EXACTLY the same as Seiko 7A38(A) 15 Jewel quartz movements. That, I'm now absolutely 100% sure of !
    In fact, the Ferrari Cal. 531 movements are closer to the Shimauchi Ltd. V906 movements used in Yema and Kamatz '7A38' chrono's !

For any WIS's (Watch Idiot Savants) who may be interested in the minor differences, I've posted this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/thread/1263663554/

It seems a group of French chronograph enthusiasts came to exactly the same conclusion as I did:

http://forum.chronomania.net/mix_entry.php?id=92005 (independantly, only a couple of months before me !) :rolleyes:

18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Nathan. I need to borrow your Cartier Ferrari Formula case-back wrench, puleez !!

19. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

What's the status on getting the pushers machined/made?

20. bigglesmclee

bigglesmclee Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    #71 bigglesmclee, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nathan,

newish to the forum and just found this post with references to Ferrari formula watches in the " Any watch lovers or collectors here ? thread and understand you used to sell these in your shop.

I have Ferrari formula Chronograph watch from 1987 and has recently stopped working. i thought it was the battery needing replacement so had Cartier dealer in Hong Kong replace the battery only to tell me it does not work anymore and that they dont know any information on the model as it was a crossover project and cant really help with this particular model.

Do you know what quartz chronograph movements were used for the ferrari formula watch? ETA? JAPANESE ?

Your molten brown droplets of wisdom appreciated on what routes i can have this quartz watch fixed.

Watch has sentimental value.
    attached is a pic of the watch

Got this watch and one of the original ferrari formula pens (made by OMAS) back in late 1987. still have original boxes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. bigglesmclee

bigglesmclee Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    #72 bigglesmclee, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    I posted this in the " Any watch lovers or collectors here ? " thread that i found searching for info on the ferrari formula watches and when submitting seems my post seems to have been placed or jumped into this thread with more specific thread info on my watch and similar watches of this Ferrari formula collection.

Found out a little more on this "old watch" of mine from this 4 pages thread since i got he watch many many years ago.

Actually only seen on other person wearing a ferrari formula watch so not sure how many they made or anything. Got it in UK and now living in Hong Kong.

not a watch afficionado as you can probably guess so any useful tips from you folks more in the know on how best for me to fix this much appreciated.

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Can I refer you to Post #68 in this thread where Paul tells us that the movement is a Japanese Seiko?
    If the movement is broken then purchase a Seiko off Ebay (£50-£100) and swap the movements over, as this will be cheaper than any "repair" which may not work anyway.
    Nathan

23. StuCreson

StuCreson Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is the thing to do..

Cartier discontinued servicing them years ago (from the Dallas/Forth Worth airport)

I have a watch/pen combo as well!