Your thoughts on a Cadillac STS and CTS? | FerrariChat

Your thoughts on a Cadillac STS and CTS?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JoeZaff, Dec 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am looking at a CPO 2007 STS and CTS. I have always loved the looks of them. The CTS drove very nicely, but it is hard to get an idea of how they handle in emergency situations, etc. This car will be my daily driver and I want to make sure it won't be too much of a handful for my wife.

Anyone have any experience with these cars?

Are they reliable?

Expensive to maintain?

Any thoughts?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a 2002 M5 but I'm lusting after a CTS-V

What a ride

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was a STS owner for a few years. Car was great, services were reasonable. Problems were small stuff: 1. Bluetooth phone...forget about using it. It was HORRIBLE! 2. Voice recognition system...ditto bluetooth phone. 3. No USB adapter for iPod etc, although mine did have the RCA jacks (the ones with SatNav had this) in the center console that allowed you to plug an iPod in, but it would not control the iPod so I was constantly fussing around with it. 4. No backup camera, but it does have the sensors so that may not be that big of a deal to you. 5. My wife hated the auto locking system (can be overridden) that locks the doors once you step out and away from it...I didn't like the idea that the front door handles were the only handles to activate the auto unlock function.

There are things that I miss that I had on the STS that I don't have on my current car...that said autolock feature...took me a few months to remember to lock my car again and the heated steering wheel...nice on cold mornings like we are having in Michigan today.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I spent two weeks driving a new 2009 STS. The slushbox transmission drove me nuts - constantly hunting for gears and usually in the wrong gear at the wrong time. Shifts with the manual override were so delayed that using it was pointless.

6. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Not trying to threadjack, got any pics of the M5? I'm looking into an 02-03 M5 as I'm not a really big fan of the E60 M5s.

7. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Never seemed to be a problem with me, although I the Michigan roads where I live are pool table flat.

This is completely true. Forget using the 'manual' override for the tranny, it is horrible.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #8 El Wayne, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    It was actually two weeks spent driving the car in and around Detroit!

I have to admit, though, that I've never been fond of automatics. Still, I found this one to be exceptionally annoying. By comparison, I spent a year and a half with a GM-provided '08 Impala and had no complaints about the auto box.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Drove both CTS and CTS V for about 8k miles apiece . Reason for Motor Trend naming CTS car of the year was performance , handling , fit & finish , looks etc. Whether or not you agree with MT , almost every review to date has been positive including Car & Driver naming the CTS one of the 10 best again , and the CTS V possibly the best American car ever built ( their words not mine ). The CTS will meet or beat all of the competition in almost any catagory you choose . Owner reports after almost 2 years in production have been very positive . The CTS is a bargain compared to it's German & Japanese counterparts . The CTS V is in another league altogether , but probably more for the hard core enthusiast , not a grocery getter . Although it can certainly be used as one . The STS is an older design , more expensive vehicle .