Took the Plunge in the Mtns | FerrariChat

Took the Plunge in the Mtns

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by SCantera, Nov 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    First I want to thank all of the FChat brethren for their advice and recommendations in our real estate search for a summer home in the mountains of North Carolina. We took 3 different trips up from FL to search for the right town and area. We toured 7 different towns in 3 different regions......SW with Cashiers & Highlands, Asheville and the surrounding towns and the High Country including Blowing Rock and Banner Elk.

I actually liked all of them. Each had their particular strengths. In the end we chose Blowing Rock. Something about the town being surrounded by national forests combined with the quaintness of Main Street helped sway us in the decision. Surprisingly unlike other towns BR did really not have that many options for real estate. However on our most recent trip a 10 acre parcel with southerly views over the Johns River Gorge caught our attention. Not only was the parcel wooded, buildable, and had the right orientation, but also it was only 1.5 miles from the center of town.

So we are "in play" with a contract on the lot. We have due diligence for a spell before we have to commit, but we think this will come together. Now the fun begins.....designing a new home. I probably will be 18 months or so before we could design and build our new home, but we are so much looking forward to being part of one of the most beautiful places to live.

thanks again for your help
    Steve Cantera

2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Let me be the first to welcome you to North Carolina! I'm sure you'll love it here once you get your dream home built and you and the wife gets settled. I'm about 20 miles north of Charlotte by Lake Norman but i get to Boone / BR maybe 2-3 times a year,beautifull area,my wife loves the fall foliage up there. Anyway,congrats and maybe we'll get together over a cold one sometime in the future.
    Bill

3. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    Congratulations and welcome to NC. Go ahead with the construction so the NC F-club can "break it in" for you next fall.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Steve

Congradulations - please stop by and stay with us on your next trip - you can have your own suite

John Edwards

5. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sounds like a wonderful place, congratulations to you.

6. Rubino

Rubino Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    Charlotte Area
    Full Name:
    Bob Curtis
    Sounds wonderful. I especially like the 1.5 mi trip to town. Too often the mountain homes are too remote for some of us. I would no doubt be a regular at the coffee shop, but would have to post a "no-serve" picture of me at the fudge store.

The southern exposure will make the design possibilities exciting and challenging. Good luck with the closing and the upcoming process.

Bob

7. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    Steve,

Welcome to North Carolina! Blowing Rock is beautiful and I hope everything goes through for you... I'm just jealous! i would love to have a home there someday...
    Congrats!

Hank

8. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    congratulations!! i think you made the right choice. the downtown area is nice and quaint.
    lots of neat shops and people.

todd

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thanks all for your welcoming words. After living in DE/PA for 23 yrs we moved to FL 9 yrs ago. I miss the change of seasons. Joining the NC group up in Blowing Rock for the Fall Colors weekend was a great trip with a fun bunch and brought back good memories. I look forward to joining the NC Ferraristi for more fun times.

As Robino noted one of the real attractions of this lot was how close to town it is. There is a great pub/restaurant only 1/2 mile away. And Main Street in BR is quaint, has nice shops and restaurants. Even in this down economy it seems to be thriving. That helps give me a good feeling about the investment side.

Another factor that drove the decision is that BR is an easy drive from Charlotte airport. There are multiple non-stops from CLT to Ft Myers. I wanted to be able to get from one home to the other in a half a day travel. That makes short trips viable.....such as having Thanksgiving, Christmas in BR and being able to get back to Naples for business in the summer. Fortunately my son Greg [titanium 575 at the fall colors weekend] does the heavy lifting here at work giving me the freedom to make this happen.

So now the fun begins. Already picked an architect, have a surveyor ready to go......this will be the 7th home we have built for ourselves over the past 25 yrs. Starting to get the hang of it!

thanks all.......and happy Thanksgiving!!!

10. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    will have to get you some TARHEEL flags to fly!!

11. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow

I'm sure he would prefer a red flag!

12. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I fixed it for you.

(And let me know when you come back up and if you need any references. After my pool fiasco, I completely know who NOT to use!!

13. hyroller

hyroller Rookie

Feb 3, 2007
    Naples FL/LinvilleNC
    Steve, Congrat's on your choice. You'll love the BR area. Im in Linville RidgeBanner Elk area all summer, Naples Fl in the winter. Try to to stay around for the fall colors, great scenic views and amazing little known back roads to explore. I would love to show you around after you get settled in your new home.

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    John,

It is very kind of you to offer a visit to your home. I saved the pictures of your home that you sent to me last year. You have a beautiful home and setting.

Hope you will be around in late May 2010. We are beginning planning of the next Ferrari Cup Challenge event again at the Grove Park in Asheville. That's just around the corner from your place!

best
    Steve

15. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    "I fixed it for you." Dr S.........

Yes, JR.......apparently you do have influence......just not sure what kind

16. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    good to hear that. missed not having it this year

happy holidays

17. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Good to go Steve! :D

Again, let me know when you get back up this way and maybe we can get the FCar group together. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Steve

looking forward to May - if you want to do anything at my house - break in a drive, lunch or whatever, let me know - you all went right by my house the last time you were here in May

19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    PS Steve

Would love to show you the new scud I got last week and the Maserati GT 2 paddle shifter my wife is getting next week - I swear it sounds as good as any Ferrari ever built - I was shocked when I heard it

Also, have you decided any date for your event?

John E

20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    "Would love to show you the new scud I got last week and the Maserati GT 2 paddle shifter my wife is getting next week - I swear it sounds as good as any Ferrari ever built - I was shocked when I heard it

Also, have you decided any date for your event?

John E"

John,

I look forward to seeing your new hardware. Not surprised about the Maser engine. Last time I was at F-factory the engines were built in the same place.

We are thinking the last weekend in May for the Ferrari Cup Challenge event. But we want to make sure we don't conflict with any other events planned for the area. Working with Marc McConnell on that.

We might just take you up on your offer. I have a knowledgeable friend that plans our drives through the mtns. We could make a stop at your place.

much planning to do first though.

ciao
    Steve

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Marc is a great guy - went to his wedding - let me know if I can help